Author Topic: Need Help Sourcing Information on BitShares  (Read 10245 times)

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
You guys see that this is a thread about helping with sourcing information on bitshares and not on bashing adam levine and charles hoskinson. None of the added commentary is necessary and it is completely unbecoming

+5%
+5%
You can disagree with Adam and Charles (I often do). It is fine to disagree though for me. But all that negativity (charles didn't begin negative) hurts BitShares or at least doesnt help it. Get over your emotions!!

I hope Charles rises above it all
That is a two sided process. Love/trust and hate/distrust always have two parties to it and reinforce each other until the momentum is broken.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 04:32:47 pm by delulo »

Offline bytemaster

Regards the assertion that we have the smallest 2.0 community, I looked at the forum statistics, which obviously doesn't provide anywhere near the whole picture, but just for some initial indication -

NXT Forum:    most online: 480 ; online today: 54   ; 5603 members
BitShares:      most online: 383 ; online today: 105 ; 5091 members
MasterCoin:    most online: 142 ; online today: 38 ; 337 members
Counterparty: most online: 86 ; online today: 34 ; 612 members
Ethereum:      I can't see their forum statistics.

So at the moment, we're not far from being more active than the other 3 combined, and only just behind NXT in terms of members & the most online ever.

Considering NXT has a lot of stuff up and running, and we haven't released BitShares XT & DPOS yet, I think that's pretty amazing. I can't imagine how much interest there's going to be soon! Great job guys!

This really makes me feel a lot better!  Thanks for putting together these stats.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline betax

• View Profile

FATHER FORGETS
W. Livingston Larned
Listen, son: I am saying this as you lie asleep, one little
paw crumpled under your cheek and the blond curls stickily
wet on your damp forehead. I have stolen into your room
alone. Just a few minutes ago, as I sat reading my paper
in the library, a stifling wave of remorse swept over me.
Guiltily I came to your bedside.
There are the things I was thinking, son: I had been cross
to you. I scolded you as you were dressing for school because
you gave your face merely a dab with a towel. I took
you to task for not cleaning your shoes. I called out angrily
when you threw some of your things on the floor.
At breakfast I found fault, too. You spilled things. You
gulped down your food. You put your elbows on the table.
You spread butter too thick on your bread. And as you
started off to play and I made for my train, you turned
and waved a hand and called, “Goodbye, Daddy!” and
I frowned, and said in reply, “Hold your shoulders
back!”
Then it began all over again in the late afternoon. As I
came up the road I spied you, down on your knees, playing
marbles. There were holes in your stockings. I humiliated
you before your boyfriends by marching you ahead of me to
the house. Stockings were expensive - and if you had to
buy them you would be more careful! Imagine that, son,
from a father!
Do you remember, later, when I was reading in the library,
how you came in timidly, with a sort of hurt look in
your eyes? When I glanced up over my paper, impatient at
the interruption, you hesitated at the door. “What is it you
want?” I snapped.
You said nothing, but ran across in one tempestuous
plunge, and threw your arms around my neck and kissed
me, and your small arms tightened with an affection that
God had set blooming in your heart and which even neglect
could not wither. And then you were gone, pattering up the
stairs.
Well, son, it was shortly afterwards that my paper slipped
from my hands and a terrible sickening fear came over me.
What has habit been doing to me? The habit of finding fault,
of reprimanding - this was my reward to you for being a
boy. It was not that I did not love you; it was that I expected
too much of youth. I was measuring you by the yardstick of
my own years.
And there was so much that was good and fine and true in
your character. The little heart of you was as big as the
dawn itself over the wide hills. This was shown by your
spontaneous impulse to rush in and kiss me good night.
Nothing else matters tonight, son. I have come to your bed-side
in the darkness, and I have knelt there, ashamed!
It is a feeble atonement; I know you would not understand
these things if I told them to you during your waking
hours. But tomorrow I will be a real daddy! I will chum
with you, and suffer when you suffer, and laugh when you
laugh. I will bite my tongue when impatient words come. I
will keep saying as if it were a ritual: “He is nothing but a
boy - a little boy!”
I am afraid I have visualized you as a man. Yet as I see
you now, son, crumpled and weary in your cot, I see that
you are still a baby. Yesterday you were in your mother’s
arms, your head on her shoulder. I have asked too much,
too much.
Instead of condemning people, let’s try to understand
them. Let’s try to figure out why they do what they do.
That’s a lot more profitable and intriguing than criticism;
and it breeds sympathy, tolerance and kindness. “To
know all is to forgive all.”
As Dr. Johnson said: “God himself, sir, does not propose
to judge man until the end of his days.”
Why should you and I?
PRINCIPLE 1
Don’t criticize, condemn or complain.

I am daddy too and I couldn't managed to hold my tears...
To all sons in the world: We loves you endlessly please forgive our mistakes.

+5%
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline onceuponatime

Regards the assertion that we have the smallest 2.0 community, I looked at the forum statistics, which obviously doesn't provide anywhere near the whole picture, but just for some initial indication -

So at the moment, we're not far from being more active than the other 3 combined, and only just behind NXT in terms of members & the most online ever.

Considering NXT has a lot of stuff up and running, and we haven't released BitShares XT & DPOS yet, I think that's pretty amazing. I can't imagine how much interest there's going to be soon! Great job guys!

This is precisely the reason why people like Hosk (and adam for that matter) need to cease pushin negative propaganda our way. 

Not only does invictus have the obstacle of needing deeper, more meaningful and market-penetrating marketing, we as a community have largely been victims of Adam and Hosks LARGELY FUD-based "subjective" opinions--aka negative marketing campaigns.

Literally within weeks of invictus refusal to pay Adam for advertising,  these negative marketing campaigns started..(coincidence?..tbfair...possibly).  Of course if anyone wants to know how valid adams negative opinions were here, all they need to do is go look up proof of his expertise (the bitshares xt dry runs or his completely invalid labeling of bitshares as another ripple would be good places to start).  Or you can look at all the VALID questions our community has asked him that he refused to answer...

Or you can look at all the new PoS derivatives that use Dans visionary assessments of the current obsolete state of crypto, adopting his solutions and acting as though they are their own innovative features (for instance-- those that use 5% interest, or the 2.0 tech that been forced to acknowledge the validity of Dans argument for multiple blockchains..just to name a couple). They say mimicry is the ultimate form of flattery, but a complete lack of trust in bitshares fomented by these people is going to almost certainly effect how many "mimickers"("cloners") actually honor PTS/AGS. 

So much for adam and hoskinson actually EVER admitting these brilliant ideas started HERE, in this community, with DAN at the helm.

Or we might look to the validity and trustworthiness of Hoskinsons opinions...look at statistics that empiracl brought up...

I am so glad Hoskinson is not working actively on this project because I dont trust him (what RATIONAL reason would anyone have to trust him at this juncture?)  Dan came across to me as REAL...not overly polished and sales-pitchy.  It was SO refreshing to me to see someone who was obviously not comfortable with selling a bunch of hype, even if he made some mistakes in gettimg everything perfect the first time through.

Even though I dont often agree with invictus' marketing plans, at the very least Dan has always gone out of his way to sacrifice to make this project worthwhile and to earn our trust...even giving time on his family day to update the community on progress. 

Not sure about how this is such a mystery to you Hoskinson...but if you keep getting unflaterring feedback, you should consider the value of looking in the mirror and asking yourself "why does the bitshares community have so little trust in my motives?" Im not trying to be an asshole here...just honest (just like i am with anyone-including myself when i am part of the problem [which to a degree i am]).  We are all people and we all make mistakes...it is up to us to change them.  As a matter of fact its the primary reason I, a low-middle class veteran and student with a wife and newborn chose to take the payment I received for helping fill the void you left and ACTUALLY give it to you (who are likey far better off than most our forum volunteers) for the work you were planning.

Why blame investors for having difficulty trusting you? 

By all means, if Hoskinson feels "leaving" and not participating is how he will garner support from this community...then I suppose I wish him luck.  As far as adam goes, if he would realize that he is not the only investor in this project and that there are others in this community with valuable insights that happen to run against the grain of his opinions...and that they might actually be RIGHT sometimes...I think he'd do much better here too. 

So odd...it is only when a specific handful of people come here that the community gets riled up.  Most everything else is pure, positive and constructive interaction.  Wish you two could se that and appreciate the real value that is here.

Good luck Hoskinson...my offer is still there if you want to earn trust in probably the craziest and most distrustful member of this forum (me).

I propose fuznuts interview Charles Hoskinson and maybe some special guests for the Beyond Bitcoin show.

Beautiful!!!  +5% +5% +5%

Offline werneo

• View Profile
    • chronicle of the precession of simulacra
  • BitShares: werneo

This is precisely the reason why people like Hosk (and adam for that matter) need to cease pushin negative propaganda our way. 

Not only does invictus have the obstacle of needing deeper, more meaningful and market-penetrating marketing, we as a community have largely been victims of Adam and Hosks LARGELY FUD-based "subjective" opinions--aka negative marketing campaigns.

Literally within weeks of invictus refusal to pay Adam for advertising,  these negative marketing campaigns started..(coincidence?..tbfair...possibly).  Of course if anyone wants to know how valid adams negative opinions were here, all they need to do is go look up proof of his expertise (the bitshares xt dry runs or his completely invalid labeling of bitshares as another ripple would be good places to start).  Or you can look at all the VALID questions our community has asked him that he refused to answer...

Or you can look at all the new PoS derivatives that use Dans visionary assessments of the current obsolete state of crypto, adopting his solutions and acting as though they are their own innovative features (for instance-- those that use 5% interest, or the 2.0 tech that been forced to acknowledge the validity of Dans argument for multiple blockchains..just to name a couple). They say mimicry is the ultimate form of flattery, but a complete lack of trust in bitshares fomented by these people is going to almost certainly effect how many "mimickers"("cloners") actually honor PTS/AGS. 

So much for adam and hoskinson actually EVER admitting these brilliant ideas started HERE, in this community, with DAN at the helm.

Or we might look to the validity and trustworthiness of Hoskinsons opinions...look at statistics that empiracl brought up...

I am so glad Hoskinson is not working actively on this project because I dont trust him (what RATIONAL reason would anyone have to trust him at this juncture?)  Dan came across to me as REAL...not overly polished and sales-pitchy.  It was SO refreshing to me to see someone who was obviously not comfortable with selling a bunch of hype, even if he made some mistakes in gettimg everything perfect the first time through.

Even though I dont often agree with invictus' marketing plans, at the very least Dan has always gone out of his way to sacrifice to make this project worthwhile and to earn our trust...even giving time on his family day to update the community on progress. 

Not sure about how this is such a mystery to you Hoskinson...but if you keep getting unflaterring feedback, you should consider the value of looking in the mirror and asking yourself "why does the bitshares community have so little trust in my motives?" Im not trying to be an asshole here...just honest (just like i am with anyone-including myself when i am part of the problem [which to a degree i am]).  We are all people and we all make mistakes...it is up to us to change them.  As a matter of fact its the primary reason I, a low-middle class veteran and student with a wife and newborn chose to take the payment I received for helping fill the void you left and ACTUALLY give it to you (who are likey far better off than most our forum volunteers) for the work you were planning.

By all means, if Hoskinson feels "leaving" and not participating is how he will garner support from this community...then I suppose I wish him luck.  As far as adam goes, if he would realize that he is not the only investor in this project and that there are others in this community with valuable insights that happen to run against the grain of his opinions...and that they might actually be RIGHT sometimes...I think he'd do much better here too. 

So odd...it is only when a specific handful of people come here that the community gets riled up.  Most everything else is pure, positive and constructive interaction.  Wish you two could se that and appreciate the real value that is here.

Good luck Hoskinson...my offer is still there if you want to earn trust in probably the craziest and most distrustful member of this forum (me).

I propose fuznuts interview Charles Hoskinson and maybe some special guests for the Beyond Bitcoin show.

Offline solaaire

• praise the sun!
    • View Profile
You guys see that this is a thread about helping with sourcing information on bitshares and not on bashing adam levine and charles hoskinson. None of the added commentary is necessary and it is completely unbecoming

+5%

clout

Offline fuzzy

Not sure about how this is such a mystery to you Hoskinson...but if you keep getting unflaterring feedback, you should consider the value of looking in the mirror and asking yourself "why does the bitshares community have so little trust in my motives?" Im not trying to be an asshole here...just honest (just like i am with anyone-including myself when i am part of the problem [which to a degree i am]).  We are all people and we all make mistakes...it is up to us to change them.  As a matter of fact its the primary reason I, a low-middle class veteran and student with a wife and newborn, chose to take the payment I received for helping fill the void you left and ACTUALLY give it to you (who are likely far better off than most our forum volunteers) for the work you were planning.

So odd...it is only when a specific handful of people come here that the community gets riled up.  Most everything else is pure, positive and constructive interaction.  Wish you two could see that and appreciate the real value that is here.

Good luck Hoskinson...my offer is still there if you want to earn trust in probably the craziest and most distrustful member of this forum (me--not that my opinion matters THAT much).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:49:23 pm by fuznuts »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
This forum is definitely one of our big strengths, and with the recent efforts we are currently in the progress of converting this internal pressure to an outward presence. If we play our cards right we will be surging ahead on bitcointalk.org, facebook, twitter, reddit, and real world meetups as well. We can all play by this and other secret plans  ;)

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 06:22:59 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline CLains

• View Profile
When I say something critical to people I regard as friends here on the forum, presumably they take it to heart or at least wrestle with my words a bit. If I say something identical to someone I don't know, they will barely read my words and move on. If someone says "You guys suck at communication and I don't like this place" my suggestion is to simply ignore the last part and address the valid concerns in the first half of the comment with acknowledgement and highlights of what we are doing to address this concern. I think the way to deal with free speech is to simply ignore non-productive speech.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:18:23 pm by CLains »

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I also wanted to say something about forums.  I tend to see forums as very pro free speech until things get absolutely nasty/irrelevant/spammy.  I try not to be directly offensive, but I'm 100% here to hear/understand the best ideas.  If I think I have something interesting to say, I say it. Free speech is important.  It can be a rough crowd though.  It might be too much for some people.  I'm always helpful/friendly but I also am quite truthful which sometimes can be blunt.  That is the greatest things about forums tho -  free speech.

Exactly. The BitShares community does try hard to be one of the most mutually respectful communities around, but personally my style is a bit more direct & I value free speech and enjoy challenging debates.

To be fair Bitbro's comment about the crypto-currency metaphor was a bit pedantic, given how knowledgable & involved Charles clearly is in this space. Imo, he can call them shiny unicorn disco tokens for all I care :)

However, from his responses in this thread and others, the lack of closure and ego stroking that's required here just isn't realistic on a public forum. So the idea that we missed out on some amazing contributions is a red herring.

However I also firmly believe advancements in this area are going to be good for humanity as a whole & besides the positive & material  impact he's probably already had on Ethereum, (&  even BitShares initially) I wouldn't be surprised if Charles is involved in more really positive & significant developments elsewhere. I hope he is.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:12:06 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I also wanted to say something about forums.  I tend to see forums as very pro free speech until things get absolutely nasty/irrelevant/spammy.  I try not to be directly offensive, but I'm 100% here to hear/understand the best ideas.  If I think I have something interesting to say, I say it. Free speech is important.  It can be a rough crowd though.  It might be too much for some people.  I'm always helpful/friendly but I also am quite truthful which sometimes can be blunt.  That is the greatest things about forums tho -  free speech.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I think it is largely immaterial what happened here.  Look at it all objectively and not with emotion.  One guy questioned Charles and he immediately starts to go in complain mode and implying a threat to withdraw support via Udemy.  I hope Charles rises above it all and gives us a Bitshares Udemy treatment thats of the same quality as his other Udemy work.

Offline fuzzy

You are jumping in the anti-Hoskinson bandwagon thread

The principles are open to interpretation and as you point out they can be somewhat paradoxical, but my intention was to be constructive and help people in this community see what went wrong, and how we might go about improving ourselves. I agree that we blew it this time.. I think when it comes to valuing people properly it is only possible to go all-in and have faith.

Fruthermore, I agree that Hoskinson's evaluation of the size of our community, and the popularity of BitShares etc. is probably correct. In fact, from personal observations over the last 3 months I believe that his evaluation is correct.

As I see it, BitShares embodies the spirit of finding solutions and from the perspective of making BitShares a success it does not matter if the problem is with our faulty attitude or with our faulty DPOS code, we just need to fix it and move on.

Still at a loss here how we are losing out...
And I'm still trying to figure out how he got so upset he wanted to leave just because someone said they didn't trust him.  To me, this is feedback Charles should take to heart--especially since it seems that it was HIS leaving the project (and the perception of his actions taken afterwards) that initially created the rift in the first place.  I have no clue how this is the "fault" of the community...I mean are we supposed to be like "Oh thanks so much Charles for gracing us with your presence after bashing bitshares and insinuating you left to join Ethereum and go on a 3-month (unfunded) world-tour.."

Nothing on this thread should have started any of this.  Charles is a very competent mathematician, so it should not be too hard to realize that a very small minority of our community even were here long enough to care either way about his past actions, present motives or future plans...It seems a little silly to "punish" all of them just because some of us (as in me) have been absolute assholes to him in the past.   

I personally do not care if he does it, but out of deep respect for our community I was willing to donate to him for his willingness to work and to help provide some more value for the crypto-educational space itself. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 01:59:22 pm by fuznuts »

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

FATHER FORGETS
W. Livingston Larned
Listen, son: I am saying this as you lie asleep, one little
paw crumpled under your cheek and the blond curls stickily
wet on your damp forehead. I have stolen into your room
alone. Just a few minutes ago, as I sat reading my paper
in the library, a stifling wave of remorse swept over me.
Guiltily I came to your bedside.
There are the things I was thinking, son: I had been cross
to you. I scolded you as you were dressing for school because
you gave your face merely a dab with a towel. I took
you to task for not cleaning your shoes. I called out angrily
when you threw some of your things on the floor.
At breakfast I found fault, too. You spilled things. You
gulped down your food. You put your elbows on the table.
You spread butter too thick on your bread. And as you
started off to play and I made for my train, you turned
and waved a hand and called, “Goodbye, Daddy!” and
I frowned, and said in reply, “Hold your shoulders
back!”
Then it began all over again in the late afternoon. As I
came up the road I spied you, down on your knees, playing
marbles. There were holes in your stockings. I humiliated
you before your boyfriends by marching you ahead of me to
the house. Stockings were expensive - and if you had to
buy them you would be more careful! Imagine that, son,
from a father!
Do you remember, later, when I was reading in the library,
how you came in timidly, with a sort of hurt look in
your eyes? When I glanced up over my paper, impatient at
the interruption, you hesitated at the door. “What is it you
want?” I snapped.
You said nothing, but ran across in one tempestuous
plunge, and threw your arms around my neck and kissed
me, and your small arms tightened with an affection that
God had set blooming in your heart and which even neglect
could not wither. And then you were gone, pattering up the
stairs.
Well, son, it was shortly afterwards that my paper slipped
from my hands and a terrible sickening fear came over me.
What has habit been doing to me? The habit of finding fault,
of reprimanding - this was my reward to you for being a
boy. It was not that I did not love you; it was that I expected
too much of youth. I was measuring you by the yardstick of
my own years.
And there was so much that was good and fine and true in
your character. The little heart of you was as big as the
dawn itself over the wide hills. This was shown by your
spontaneous impulse to rush in and kiss me good night.
Nothing else matters tonight, son. I have come to your bed-side
in the darkness, and I have knelt there, ashamed!
It is a feeble atonement; I know you would not understand
these things if I told them to you during your waking
hours. But tomorrow I will be a real daddy! I will chum
with you, and suffer when you suffer, and laugh when you
laugh. I will bite my tongue when impatient words come. I
will keep saying as if it were a ritual: “He is nothing but a
boy - a little boy!”
I am afraid I have visualized you as a man. Yet as I see
you now, son, crumpled and weary in your cot, I see that
you are still a baby. Yesterday you were in your mother’s
arms, your head on her shoulder. I have asked too much,
too much.
Instead of condemning people, let’s try to understand
them. Let’s try to figure out why they do what they do.
That’s a lot more profitable and intriguing than criticism;
and it breeds sympathy, tolerance and kindness. “To
know all is to forgive all.”
As Dr. Johnson said: “God himself, sir, does not propose
to judge man until the end of his days.”
Why should you and I?
PRINCIPLE 1
Don’t criticize, condemn or complain.

I am daddy too and I couldn't managed to hold my tears...
To all sons in the world: We loves you endlessly please forgive our mistakes.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
You are jumping in the anti-Hoskinson bandwagon thread

The principles are open to interpretation and as you point out they can be somewhat paradoxical, but my intention was to be constructive and help people in this community see what went wrong, and how we might go about improving ourselves. I agree that we blew it this time.. I think when it comes to valuing people properly it is only possible to go all-in and have faith.

Fruthermore, I agree that Hoskinson's evaluation of the size of our community, and the popularity of BitShares etc. is probably correct. In fact, from personal observations over the last 3 months I believe that his evaluation is correct.

As I see it, BitShares embodies the spirit of finding solutions and from the perspective of making BitShares a success it does not matter if the problem is with our faulty attitude or with our faulty DPOS code, we just need to fix it and move on.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile

holy shit

I made it 25% of the way.....

yea... it's sorta the first chapter of "How to Win Friends and Influence People," by Dale Carnegie.

a business classic. and for good reason in my opinion. I think I might reread some of it tonight as a matter of fact.

+5% I skipped to the end of the paragraph.

Principle 1: Don't criticize,condemn or complain.

Principle 2 is... 'In the future, when the Internet is invented, post a link and quote a short excerpt as opposed to an entire chapter of my book in order to win friends and influence people' :D

Kidding, it was a good book, though principle 23 is (genuinely) - http://www.csus.edu/indiv/l/luenemannu/pdf/CommunicationPrinciples.pdf

23. Call attention to people's mistakes indirectly.

On that note I'm suddenly reminded reading this thread about the old fable of the crow and the raven...

A Crow became very jealous of a Raven, because the latter was regarded by men as a bird of omen which foretold the future, and was accordingly held in great respect by them. She was very anxious to get the same sort of reputation herself; and, one day, seeing some travellers approaching, she flew on to a branch of a tree at the roadside and cawed as loud as she could. The travellers were in some dismay at the sound, for they feared it might be a bad omen; till one of them, spying the Crow, said to his companions, "It's all right, my friends, we can go on without fear, for it's only a crow and that means nothing."   

http://www.happychild.org.uk/nvs/cont/stories/aesopsfables/page0208.htm

In all seriousness though its pretty obvious he hasn't got closure yet, but it's also obvious he is super intelligent and talented, he's also working on some exciting stuff and personally I wish him much success and personal fulfilment in the future.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 12:32:40 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
Lol, how many millions did you guys raise again? Alright, well this is going to be a fun exercise.

in my opinion you started it. Maybe willingly.

in one post you want to get information, but at the second you explained in detail why this communtiy is not good. So you following at all and already knew all the information?

Good luck and end of communication

merockstar

holy shit

yea... it's sorta the first chapter of "How to Win Friends and Influence People," by Dale Carnegie.

a business classic. and for good reason in my opinion. I think I might reread some of it tonight as a matter of fact.

Offline smiley35

• View Profile

holy shit

merockstar

“IF YOU WANT TO GATHER
HONEY, DON’T KICK OVER THE
BEEHIVE”
On May 7, 1931, the most sensational manhunt New
York City had ever known had come to its climax. After
weeks of search, “Two Gun” Crowley - the killer, the
gunman who didn’t smoke or drink - was at bay, trapped
in his sweetheart’s apartment on West End Avenue.
One hundred and fifty policemen and detectives laid
siege to his top-floor hideway. They chopped holes in
the roof; they tried to smoke out Crowley, the “cop
killer,” with teargas. Then they mounted their machine
guns on surrounding buildings, and for more than an
hour one of New York’s fine residential areas reverberated
with the crack of pistol fire and the rut-tat-tat of
machine guns. Crowley, crouching behind an over-
stuffed chair, fired incessantly at the police. Ten thousand
excited people watched the battle. Nothing like it
ever been seen before on the sidewalks of New
York.
When Crowley was captured, Police Commissioner
E. P. Mulrooney declared that the two-gun desperado
was one of the most dangerous criminals ever encountered
in the history of New York. “He will kill,” said the
Commissioner, “at the drop of a feather.”
But how did “Two Gun” Crowley regard himself? We
know, because while the police were firing into his
apartment, he wrote a letter addressed “To whom it may
concern, ” And, as he wrote, the blood flowing from his
wounds left a crimson trail on the paper. In this letter
Crowley said: “Under my coat is a weary heart, but a
kind one - one that would do nobody any harm.”
A short time before this, Crowley had been having a
necking party with his girl friend on a country road out
on Long Island. Suddenly a policeman walked up to the
car and said: “Let me see your license.”
Without saying a word, Crowley drew his gun and cut
the policeman down with a shower of lead. As the dying
officer fell, Crowley leaped out of the car, grabbed the
officer’s revolver, and fired another bullet into the prostrate
body. And that was the killer who said: “Under my
coat is a weary heart, but a kind one - one that would do
nobody any harm.’
Crowley was sentenced to the electric chair. When he
arrived at the death house in Sing Sing, did he say, “This
is what I get for killing people”? No, he said: “This is
what I get for defending myself.”
The point of the story is this: “Two Gun” Crowley
didn’t blame himself for anything.
Is that an unusual attitude among criminals? If you
think so, listen to this:
“I have spent the best years of my life giving people
the lighter pleasures, helping them have a good time,
and all I get is abuse, the existence of a hunted man.”
That’s Al Capone speaking. Yes, America’s most notorious
Public Enemy- the most sinister gang leader who
ever shot up Chicago. Capone didn’t condemn himself.
He actually regarded himself as a public benefactor - an
unappreciated and misunderstood public benefactor.
And so did Dutch Schultz before he crumpled up
under gangster bullets in Newark. Dutch Schultz, one of
New York’s most notorious rats, said in a newspaper interview
that he was a public benefactor. And he believed
it.
I have had some interesting correspondence with
Lewis Lawes, who was warden of New York’s infamous
Sing Sing prison for many years, on this subject, and he
declared that “few of the criminals in Sing Sing regard
themselves as bad men. They are just as human as you
and I. So they rationalize, they explain. They can tell
you why they had to crack a safe or be quick on the
trigger finger. Most of them attempt by a form of reasoning,
fallacious or logical, to justify their antisocial acts
even to themselves, consequently stoutly maintaining
that they should never have been imprisoned at all.”
If Al Capone, “Two Gun” Crowley, Dutch Schultz,
and the desperate men and women behind prison walls
don’t blame themselves for anything - what about the
people with whom you and I come in contact?
John Wanamaker, founder of the stores that bear his
name, once confessed: “I learned thirty years ago that it
is foolish to scold. I have enough trouble overcoming my
own limitations without fretting over the fact that God
has not seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence.”
Wanamaker learned this lesson early, but I personally
had to blunder through this old world for a third of a
century before it even began to dawn upon me that
ninety-nine times out of a hundred, people don’t criticize
themselves for anything, no matter how wrong it
may be.
Criticism is futile because it puts a person on the defensive
and usually makes him strive to justify himself.
Criticism is dangerous, because it wounds a person’s
precious pride, hurts his sense of importance, and
arouses resentment.

Read more here
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 05:05:26 am by merockstar »

bitbro

I agree with your analysis NewMine.  However, I felt that the ulterior motives to undermine the BitShares projects and their leadership needed to be called out; if ulteriorly motivated comments weren't in the picture , yes, he very well would be welcomed back by the community's open arms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:25:12 am by bitbro »

Offline onceuponatime

Psychological lessons,

1. Principle of Charity: See the best in everyone.
2. Be helpful, friendly and constructive, or be silent.
3. Apologize if you come across offending, never justify.
4. Never appeal to the past in an emotional discussion.

What does anyone of your 4 points have to do with a psychological lesson?

1. Live in ignorance.
2. If your ideas are different, I don't want to hear them.
3. Apologize for offending me in #2.
4. Never bring to light the past which could prove me wrong in the present when engaging in #2.

You are jumping in the anti-Hoskinson bandwagon thread (see your #1), preaching a moral high ground in a facetious attitude (see #2), unapologetic (see #3), all the while appealing to some life lesson you learned in your past (see #4).

I do agree with some posters in questioning the intent of Charles Hoskinson. He did seem to legitimately be asking for help only to immediately begin burning bridges.

I believe he was attempting to feel out if he would be welcomed back. He was then pushed into a corner by bitbro, yellowecho, and gamey's comments to only then realize he doesn't want to be apart of this hostile community and could never be truly welcomed back.

What you guys don't realize with your eyes wide shut, is that he was totally right in everything he was saying about Invictus and the current status of Bitshares. He could've done more help than damage at this point and now you scared him off for good.

Oh, you seem to think that Clains' 4 points were directed at Hoskinson? I was assuming that they were directed at this community because we blew it and have lost out on his tentative feeling out of a new connection with Bitshares
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 01:18:58 am by onceuponatime »

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
Psychological lessons,

What does anyone of your 4 points have to do with a psychological lesson?

1. Live in ignorance.
2. If your ideas are different, I don't want to hear them.
3. Apologize for offending me in #2.
4. Never bring to light the past which could prove me wrong in the present when engaging in #2.

You are jumping in the anti-Hoskinson bandwagon thread (see your #1), preaching a moral high ground in a facetious attitude (see #2), unapologetic (see #3), all the while appealing to some life lesson you learned in your past (see #4).

I do agree with some posters in questioning the intent of Charles Hoskinson. He did seem to legitimately be asking for help only to immediately begin burning bridges.

I believe he was attempting to feel out if he would be welcomed back. He was then pushed into a corner by bitbro, yellowecho, and gamey's comments to only then realize he doesn't want to be apart of this hostile community and could never be truly welcomed back.

What you guys don't realize with your eyes wide shut, is that he was totally right in everything he was saying about Invictus and the current status of Bitshares. He could've done more help than damage at this point and now you scared him off for good.

Offline fuzzy

Psychological lessons,

+5%  I'm going to make this into some kind of art and have it framed when I get a place to live.
God CLains, much love bro.

merockstar

Psychological lessons,

+5%  I'm going to make this into some kind of art and have it framed when I get a place to live.

Offline onceuponatime

Psychological lessons,

Yes.

Many brilliant people can be very thin skinned and feel misunderstood.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
Psychological lessons,

Offline fuzzy

The community doesn't approach people like that.  One person questioned you.  TBH, as this thread was progressing I thought it was a setup for you to troll Bitshares.  I'm still not sure what to think.

I started this thread to ask for help and some people like toast were very kind to provide it. Then I was asked questions and gave an honest opinion. Then I was called a jargon pumper to which I replied that is an example why you guys are having adoption problems. Now you're entertaining the notion that my grand plan is to troll bitshares. Jesus how petty.

If anyone wants to provide information you feel should be in the udemy course then please email me at charles.Hopkinton@gmail.com. To the forum moderators, please delete my account. I have no desire to interact with this community anymore. Good luck all.

Wait a second...lets get this straight, you come here seeking our opinions,  and because someone offends you by not trusting your motives (after walking away from 2 projects--both times with little to no real explanation btw) you ask to have your account deleted?   
I still dont trust you but im willing to tip you for your offer to help ...and somehow you r upset by our community "bashing" you and Adam?

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I do most sincerely apologize to anyone who sees me as screwing things up. I like to challenge and argue.  Dan's openness to be challenged is a part of why I started hanging around here and looking at the technology.

As far as calling Charles a troll.  I also think he was genuinely looking for information, but sophisticated people have multiple agendas going at any one time.  Thats life.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 02:55:52 pm by gamey »

Offline jwiz168

• View Profile
hey Gamey cool down man, you have pissed the guy. That's it. Move on buddy. To Charles good riddance. Bitshares go forward and let X be polished and ready for launch.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
The community doesn't approach people like that.  One person questioned you.  TBH, as this thread was progressing I thought it was a setup for you to troll Bitshares.  I'm still not sure what to think.

I started this thread to ask for help and some people like toast were very kind to provide it. Then I was asked questions and gave an honest opinion. Then I was called a jargon pumper to which I replied that is an example why you guys are having adoption problems. Now you're entertaining the notion that my grand plan is to troll bitshares. Jesus how petty.

If anyone wants to provide information you feel should be in the udemy course then please email me at charles.hoskinson@gmail.com. To the forum moderators, please delete my account. I have no desire to interact with this community anymore. Good luck all.

It is not being petty at all.  I mean, you pretty much took the guy's one insult to attack Bitshares as a whole.  It almost seemed like you were waiting for a moment to pull the trigger.  Just like questioning about who is tasked with education.  I tend to believe you're aware enough that it was a rhetorical question. So to me, it appeared as a troll job. 

Bitshares problems are pretty obvious.  I think you nailed them quite well.  Looking at the number of "founders" on Ethereum, I start to understand how they blew up in the space.

Some  around here are not taken in by celebrity names or feel the need to kowtow.  So don't take what a few of us have to say as a reason to dislikes Bitshares.

I'm pretty sure Dan and his team are working very hard to get a product launched.  Yet I don't think they've done very well on  other fronts.  I am in the process of learning more about Ethereum and I am feeling that even with the delays, we will see running third-party DACs off the Bitshares platform first. 

Still a fan of your Udemy series on Bitcoin.  I've recommended it to people new to BTC before.  True story.

charleshoskinson

If anyone wants to provide information you feel should be in the udemy course then please email me at charles.hoskinson@gmail.com. To the forum moderators, please delete my account. I have no desire to interact with this community anymore. Good luck all.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

It's actually easy to construct this data using modern marketing software suites and yes we did for the 2.0 space. Bitshares isn't doing well. To be fair, the survey was only done in English and thus there could be uncaptured chinese traffic, but take a step back and think about how your community approaches people.

Adam does more attacking of the community than being attacked.  He never has anything constructive to say.  Go reread his posts.  I would reconsider comparing yourself to him.  I know *you* understand the concept of constructive criticism.  I had an issue with Adam when he blew up over I3's decision to fix the problem where the Chinese guy accidentally donated several times the daily average to AGS.  I still think it was the right move on their part, but Adam flipped out over "changing the rules".  What would you have done ?

On a most sincere note, may I ask why do you think Ethereum took off like it has ?  I tend to think that because of the nature of technology allowed an emulator to be created which drew in devs.  Dan's approach is to go from the bottom up and so there is nothing any developer can play with.  I wonder if it wasn't a mistake on their part to not have made a blockchain emulator so that developers could have started working on applications months ago.  Vitalik also has a much larger visibility in the space than Dan ever has.

I'm personally looking forward to seeing your explanation of Bitshares in your courses.

charleshoskinson

what is your measure there charles?

+5 for xeroc and toast for the info source

In terms of the chinese, a subjective assessment of the volume of threads in your forum that are negative.  In terms of the community size,  a combination of the amount of meetup groups, reddit volume, mentions on social media channels like twitter and Facebook as well as the amount of mentions of invictus products in the media.

It's actually easy to construct this data using modern marketing software suites and yes we did for the 2.0 space. Bitshares isn't doing well. To be fair, the survey was only done in English and thus there could be uncaptured chinese traffic, but take a step back and think about how your community approaches people.

1. Bitcoin is a poorly designed DAC. 2. We are better because idea xyz. 3. Idea xyz has to be changed. 4. The change is poorly communicated and frustrates evangelizists. 5. Repeat cycle a few more times. 6. When people like charles and adam point out problems, then attack them. 7. Repeat cycle some more.

As I said before, I don't have a dog in this fight and if I did, then things would be different. It's just insulting to call a mathematician with deep technical skills a jargon pumping salesmen. It makes me less passionate about explaining bitshares in my course. 

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Charles I think you have potential.  However, I'm starting to think you're just a jargon pumper: you still believe crypto currency is the correct metaphor

And you guys wonder why you have the smallest 2.0 community and why the chinese are revolting.
what is your measure there charles?

+5 for xeroc and toast for the info source

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
As for the Udemy videos, there are people who would likely be willing to help you with that project.  Merockstar, Clout and Empirical might be a good start.

I'm flattered that you would refer him to me fuznuts. I would definitely do what I could, but I'm likely not the greatest source of information.

If the articles I produce are high quality it's only because of the high quality feedback, and collated intelligence of this community. I'm not too proud to admit that I struggle with this sometimes.

Clout and Empirical1 are really smart, and seem to know their shit thoroughly. Mr. Hoskinson would be well served to hit them up for information.

Don't be so modest, I think you're articles are great! Also the fact that you are being proactive and writing them too,  (not just talking about/suggesting stuff, like I'm guilty of) makes you a real asset to BitShares imo!

Thanks for the compliment Fuznuts and Merock, but I'm really very bad technically and also haven't been keeping up to date with BitShares developments so I would be a poor choice  :(  I've read some of Clout's stuff though and as someone said in another thread 'Clout is badass!'  :)

merockstar

As for the Udemy videos, there are people who would likely be willing to help you with that project.  Merockstar, Clout and Empirical might be a good start.

I'm flattered that you would refer him to me fuznuts. I would definitely do what I could, but I'm likely not the greatest source of information.

If the articles I produce are high quality it's only because of the high quality feedback, and collated intelligence of this community. I'm not too proud to admit that I struggle with this sometimes.

Clout and Empirical1 are really smart, and seem to know their shit thoroughly. Mr. Hoskinson would be well served to hit them up for information.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 06:48:42 am by merockstar »

Offline fuzzy

I'll do you even better Charles.  I'll donate 35 PTS to the project.  Let's see if anyone else in the community (Chinese welcome too) wants to throw a little in to help grow the ecosystem.  As for the people who complain in this grand experiment--I understand their frustrations, but real grass roots takes time and not just money, but effort.  Instead of complaining, people should actually take a few hours of their time every week to do outreach or be an active member of the community.  If people would spend half the time they spend complaining about stuff working on providing value to each other we would see bitshares blossom (faster).

Although you do not necessarily exude trustworthiness and the cloudy past is ample reason for critique, I can say one thing: you always seem to try to provide value instead of just complaining.  Any way of looking at that is awesome.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 03:22:53 am by fuznuts »

Offline yellowecho

Charles I think you have potential.  However, I'm starting to think you're just a jargon pumper: you still believe crypto currency is the correct metaphor

And you guys wonder why you have the smallest 2.0 community and why the chinese are revolting.

lol!
696c6f766562726f776e696573

charleshoskinson

bitbro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:28:28 am by bitbro »

charleshoskinson

Charles, are you asking if there is an opportunity for you to rejoin the fold?
No

I don't know how irreparable the damage was when you broke away but i followed you and bytemaster from the first threads on bitcointalk and it was the two of you together that made me an investor. I believe you have a set of skills which is not present in the current team. I have seen threads by bytemaster where he too has said as much.

I appreciate that Stuart. I'm sorry it didn't work out the way you expected. It didn't for me either. But that's how life works and I think everyone has learned a lot as well as grown over the past year.

I worry from an outsider is why don't you stick with a project? Are you not a tam player?, seems a strange mix with the skills you have. I would love to hear your views on this and others.

I'm quite the team player and I generally do stick with project. I never intended on joining Ethereum full time because I was still recovering from leaving Invictus; however, I ended up getting drawn in when it was clear that the project needed some of my skills. That said, it's now global, soon to be well funded and has a deep bench of talent. Also Ethereum is now a not for profit venture meaning I'd just be a salary man if I stayed. They are in great hands and don't need me anymore.

In terms of Invictus, I really have no desire to return. It's not the company I started anymore. The business strategy, technology, marketing and branding is totally different. The product lines are different and totally untested. The development processes are far to scattered, undocumented and spaghetti codish for my taste (I'm a scrum guy who likes rich documentation and lots of beta testing).

If I returned, then I would try to fix things I feel are problems, but it's clear that wouldn't work well for the current team and substantially delay the release of BitShares X. This house has always belonged to Dan for better or worse.

I'm just interested in finishing my course as it's been something left on the table for almost a year now. It would be unfair not to include Bitshares and the DAC concept in the 2.0 section, which is why I reached out to you guys to make sure I accurately represent it.

Good luck whatever you do next

I appreciate that. Most likely returning to mathematics to study some interesting developments in graph theory as well as complex adaptive systems. J. Miller and Page wrote a wonderful book on the topic and some of my colleagues at CU are enjoying a dense set of problems.

There is also the Cryptocurrency scalability concern, which appears to be resolvable via SCIP and ZKP using a heterogeneous network of miniblockchains only megabytes in size permitting a masterchain in the petabytes . Improvements to the ghost concept could allow for 5-10 second confirmation times. It's a fun problem to think about and there are so many cryptographic tools just sitting on the shelf collecting dust that could be used in experiments.

It would also be nice to have a phonegap style compatibility framework to allow a single JS, HTML5, CSS3 codebase to deploy DApps running on multiple 2.0 protocols such as color coins, counterparty, Ethereum, etc. The Etherbrowser will likely get forked and used as the reference client for all the 2.0 coins thanks to the quality of its codebase, the decentralized app store and the UX/UI. It makes sense that someone would develop a way to deploy a DApp on multiple protocols at the same time.

Lots to think about Stuart.
Cheers

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
thank you toast for taking time out of your schedule today to answer a few questions

Charles, welcome back!
Nice to here you newly retired.

█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline stuartcharles

• View Profile
Charles, are you asking if there is an opportunity for you to rejoin the fold?

I don't know how irreparable the damage was when you broke away but i followed you and bytemaster from the first threads on bitcointalk and it was the two of you together that made me an investor. I believe you have a set of skills which is not present in the current team. I have seen threads by bytemaster where he too has said as much.

I worry from an outsider is why don't you stick with a project? Are you not a tam player?, seems a strange mix with the skills you have. I would love to hear your views on this and others.

Good luck whatever you do next

charleshoskinson

thank you toast for taking time out of your schedule today to answer a few questions

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
xeroc has posted some "all you need to know about..." articles:

[TechTalk] All you need to know ... about Voting in DPOS
[TechTalk] All you need to know ... about TITAN
[TechTalk] All you need to know ... about AngelShares

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?board=45.0
These are basically technical talks .. AFAIR someone is writing about the economical parts (the market peg) right now
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=4563.0;all

charleshoskinson

Feel free to call me with any questions or drop by The Bridge for an in-depth discussion.

:)

I might drop by VA sometime in July. In the meantime, let's get a skype setup sometime this week. PM me. 

Offline onceuponatime

xeroc has posted some "all you need to know about..." articles:

[TechTalk] All you need to know ... about Voting in DPOS

[TechTalk] All you need to know ... about TITAN

[TechTalk] All you need to know ... about AngelShares

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?board=45.0

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Now that I'm newly retired, I'd like to finish the second edition of my udemy class. It will include a section on the 2.0 space and I'd love to include BitShares. Could you guys please compile a list of reading materials and resources so I can fairly represent the BitShares ecosystem and also would an XT developer please add me to skype Charles_Hoskinson. I'll probably have some questions in a few weeks once I'm actively working on it.

Cheers,
Charles

Feel free to call me with any questions or drop by The Bridge for an in-depth discussion.

:)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

charleshoskinson

lol. You expect too much.
Lol, how many millions did you guys raise again? Alright, well this is going to be a fun exercise.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I understand you're looking for information so this won't help - it's all scattered and someone else will have to find the relevant resources. This is just telling that "someone else" what to compile for you.

Major points:

* DACs earn income / pay dividends by charging their own shares for services / destroying them.
* DPOS
* Snapshot allocation model

Minor points:

* Market Peg
* TITAN

starting points:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=4563.0
http://bitshares.org/blog
http://bitshares.org/delegated-proof-of-stake/  (outdated)
https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit/wiki

Who in the community has been tasked with education?

lol. You expect too much.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

charleshoskinson

I understand you're looking for information so this won't help - it's all scattered and someone else will have to find the relevant resources. This is just telling that "someone else" what to compile for you.

Major points:

* DACs earn income / pay dividends by charging their own shares for services / destroying them.
* DPOS

Minor points:

* Market Peg
* TITAN

starting points:

Who in the community has been tasked with education?

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Major points:

* DPOS

Minor points:

* Market Peg
* TITAN

starting points:
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
 +5% +5% +5%

:) :) :)

8)

I think I am still dreaming...

charleshoskinson

Now that I'm newly retired, I'd like to finish the second edition of my udemy class. It will include a section on the 2.0 space and I'd love to include BitShares. Could you guys please compile a list of reading materials and resources so I can fairly represent the BitShares ecosystem and also would an XT developer please add me to skype Charles_Hoskinson. I'll probably have some questions in a few weeks once I'm actively working on it.

Cheers,
Charles