Author Topic: Will PTS survive after the next difficluty change?  (Read 15938 times)

Offline bytemaster

Re: Will PTS survive after the next difficluty change?
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2013, 12:38:52 am »
Can I buy them with money? I have no bitcoins.

You can buy bitcoins with money.
And apparently that's a real pain in the ass with a bunch of middlemen all taking a cut. Maybe I'm just wasting my time with this.

Perhaps, you are not looking at the big picture.   If you don't think PTS will rise more than those fees then you are wasting your time.  Otherwise, the fees are meaningless.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2013, 11:22:15 pm »

And apparently that's a real pain in the ass with a bunch of middlemen all taking a cut. Maybe I'm just wasting my time with this.

don't know where you want to buy your coins? But there are several exchanges out there where you can smooth buy BTC ... bitstamp, mtgox, kraken, bitcoin.de etc...
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline davidm

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2013, 11:02:57 pm »

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2013, 09:36:40 pm »

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline davidm

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2013, 09:36:04 pm »

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2013, 07:27:23 pm »
If you believe in what we are doing and want to earn more than 2x your electric costs, then you should just buy the coin and let the professionals do the low-margin mining.
I am an IT professional, if that counts. I just don't have the proper equipment at the moment.

2x my electric costs is still a profit, and the computer is just sitting here when I'm not using it. I could mine with it and also buy coins. But you may be right that it's not worth investing in more equipment.

My point is simply that if you purchased 1000 machines for 400,000 dollars and each machine consumed 100W and electricity cost 0.10 per KWH then you would have a power bill of $7200 and you might generate $14,000 worth of PTS.   Assuming everything stayed constant it would take 5 years to break even, of course your computers probably wouldn't run for 5 years and would be a real PITA. If the price falls at all you lose money.  If the price goes up before you can mine them, the difficulty will follow and you will end up with less.

On the other hand if you invested the same 400K into PTS, then you make profit on the whole 400K if the price goes up at all and yet you lose no more if the price goes down. 

Sometimes thinking with larger numbers helps you see that you should buy rather than mine if you want to make money.

Offline davidm

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2013, 06:52:00 pm »
If you believe in what we are doing and want to earn more than 2x your electric costs, then you should just buy the coin and let the professionals do the low-margin mining.
I am an IT professional, if that counts. I just don't have the proper equipment at the moment.

2x my electric costs is still a profit, and the computer is just sitting here when I'm not using it. I could mine with it and also buy coins. But you may be right that it's not worth investing in more equipment.

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2013, 06:21:10 pm »
I just joined here. Hello everybody.
I'm thinking that I got into this too late. I started with beeeeer on Friday night. I currently have 0.00846 PTS.  :(
That's on my old XP.
I'm thinking about getting a good second hand Linux box and dedicating it to this. Is it worth it at this point?

Offline davidm

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2013, 05:51:31 pm »
I just joined here. Hello everybody.
I'm thinking that I got into this too late. I started with beeeeer on Friday night. I currently have 0.00846 PTS.  :(
That's on my old XP.
I'm thinking about getting a good second hand Linux box and dedicating it to this. Is it worth it at this point?

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2013, 05:52:09 am »
Finally getting close to the 5 minute target time. 4.5 minutes per block average over the last 100 blocks.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline liquiddrool

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 12:52:59 am »
It increases whenever 4000 and some blocks are found.

Offline smokim11

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 09:06:37 pm »
Well I just noticed at ypool difficulty just doubled its currently at 0.005626

Doesn't it increase at the end of the week (saturday-sunday)?

Interested to see how PTS prices are going to react to this.
If I helped you and want to show your appreciation donate any amount:
Pjem2V2FDPGZa6yAvpL2fN5yZKXYUNLSv5

Offline Leyhart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 08:46:09 pm »
It depends on workers and the market. If price continues to lower, it will not survive imo.
Donate and help Leyhart buying his daily beer!
PTS: Pno8epNUmDUmhF4d6wJoa1buZ5nRNNtHWZ
Also, 1 donation = 1 cookie! :D

Offline lordfirefox

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 02:56:55 am »
If there were more active trading sites and the value of PTS fluctuated greatly like BTC, then this might be an issue (especially in the future)...
If the pool crashes and looses all the data that's up to 24 hours processing time gone.....

But with the constant rate and good payout levels, coyote is a great pool.

Hmm, Well I'll have a look at it but I don't like leaving dust in other pools unless beeeeer wants to give me an early payout. :)
PTS: Pimu7pvvbCJF9LKsCUw2ZUb2pdHRzLLjBa

Offline Bitstrader

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 01:54:00 am »
Coyote pool is up almost 99% of the time and has no fees. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but I'm not crazy about the 1 payout per day. No thanks.

Not to be rude, but how is this a problem? Genuine question!

That might change soon, we could see more often payouts, see here: http://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=636.450