Author Topic: [$5000 worth in PTS] BitShares Blockchain Technical Specification [PENDING]  (Read 12611 times)

Offline theoretical

I added some updates.  https://github.com/drltc/docblock/blob/master/block.md#on-the-wire-format is most useful to those writing parsers.

My next goal is to document the individual parameter formats and precise semantics of each operation.

BTS- theoretical / PTS- PZxpdC8RqWsdU3pVJeobZY7JFKVPfNpy5z / BTC- 1NfGejohzoVGffAD1CnCRgo9vApjCU2viY / the delegate formerly known as drltc / Nothing said on these forums is intended to be legally binding / All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted / Take action due to my posts at your own risk

Offline vikram

I've started on this bounty.  Initial progress is here:  https://github.com/drltc/docblock

I have some questions here:  https://github.com/drltc/docblock/blob/master/questions.md

Since bytemaster is most familiar with the core code, I suspect he'll be answering most of them.  But any other developers or random forum lurkers are encouraged to answer to conserve bytemaster's time :)

+1 +1 +6

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
can't wait to see this document finished ..
good job so far +5%

Offline theoretical

I've started on this bounty.  Initial progress is here:  https://github.com/drltc/docblock

I have some questions here:  https://github.com/drltc/docblock/blob/master/questions.md

Since bytemaster is most familiar with the core code, I suspect he'll be answering most of them.  But any other developers or random forum lurkers are encouraged to answer to conserve bytemaster's time :)
BTS- theoretical / PTS- PZxpdC8RqWsdU3pVJeobZY7JFKVPfNpy5z / BTC- 1NfGejohzoVGffAD1CnCRgo9vApjCU2viY / the delegate formerly known as drltc / Nothing said on these forums is intended to be legally binding / All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted / Take action due to my posts at your own risk

Offline theoretical

Sorry, it's taking a little longer than I expected, I've been spending most of my time testing and reporting bugs for the client, and of course trading :)

I should be able to get some done this weekend (but if there are any more fantastic margin crises or arbitrage opportunities in store, I may just trade instead).

Offline vikram

Over the next two weeks, I'd like to work on documenting the blockchain format.  In particular, going from a block as a sequence of bytes; to fields with particular data types (uint32, hash); to semantic information about entities like accounts, balances, delegates, orders, and votes.  To keep the scope manageable, I'd like to limit my contribution to focusing on parsing the serialized blockchain.

I'll include information on the following:

- Byte-by-byte documentation of the serialized block format
- Constraints between various fields (e.g. the value in each block's parent block hash field must be equal to the value obtained by computing the hash of the serialization of the parent block).
- Reasons for design decisions
- Genesis-block parameters that can easily be tweaked
- Highlight major BitShares Toolkit features that either mimic features of other cryptocoins, or are different from other cryptocoins
- Describe in detail the implementation of high-level semantic nouns and verbs (e.g.:  What is a short position and how do you cover it?  How do we make TITAN transactions invisible?)

I'll post here with the Github URL when I start.

Also, since the bounty was posted before snapshot was taken, I'd like to ask if the bounty will include the BTSX spawned by the 500 PTS?

Hopefully this post satisfies the "scope and requirements" laid out in the opening post, and we can change from pending to active.

+5% +5% +5%

Offline bytemaster

Over the next two weeks, I'd like to work on documenting the blockchain format.  In particular, going from a block as a sequence of bytes; to fields with particular data types (uint32, hash); to semantic information about entities like accounts, balances, delegates, orders, and votes.  To keep the scope manageable, I'd like to limit my contribution to focusing on parsing the serialized blockchain.

- Constraints between various fields (e.g. the value in each block's parent block hash field must be equal to the value obtained by computing the hash of the serialization of the parent block).
- Highlight major BitShares Toolkit features that either mimic features of other cryptocoins, or are different from other cryptocoins
- Describe in detail the implementation of high-level semantic nouns and verbs (e.g.:  What is a short position and how do you cover it?  How do we make TITAN transactions invisible?)

Also, since the bounty was posted before snapshot was taken, I'd like to ask if the bounty will include the BTSX spawned by the 500 PTS?

Hopefully this post satisfies the "scope and requirements" laid out in the opening post, and we can change from pending to active.

I'll pay $5000 worth of PTS at the time of completion.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

+5% for the initiative ..

just my 2 PTS:

- could you use the bitshares wiki?
 - I like how the bitcoin guys are writing it up: https://bitcoin.org/en/developer-guide

if you need assistance (maybe drawing some pictures/blockdiagrams) I can give you a hand ..

Offline theoretical

Offline vertoe

• i'm here
    • View Profile
There is a work in progress, I think this bounty is better done cooperatively than competitively. Equal expected return per hour but higher chance of getting the bounty before feb 28th

https://github.com/nmushegian/BitShares/blob/spec/doc/spec.md

Yes I've seen this. I didnt mean to start a competition here. I just dont see anything happening for several days now...

I dont want to do this. But If I start working on bitshares I can do it because I need it.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
There is a work in progress, I think this bounty is better done cooperatively than competitively. Equal expected return per hour but higher chance of getting the bounty before feb 28th

https://github.com/nmushegian/BitShares/blob/spec/doc/spec.md
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline vertoe

• i'm here
    • View Profile
If nobody completes it this week i will start working on this bounty because i need the specification really bad :)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline vertoe

• i'm here
    • View Profile
Bump. Whats the status on this? I need this.  8)

Offline naturalog

• View Profile
I see so you want it down to the byte level. OK. Will work on this more. Another workers around? Let's collaborate.