Author Topic: If you could afford to live anywhere in the world, where would you live and why?  (Read 10066 times)

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I can tell you that Thailand is pretty safe. More safe than an average European capital...

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I'm in Thailand for a few weeks now and people are very kind and gentle!! I like it!

+5% Lucky you!

I make most of my income from online poker which I could theoretically do from anywhere. Yet I choose to live near London, which is expensive, unfriendly and the weather is terrible.

For me, a big aspect is crime, I grew up in South Africa, where we had electric fencing, guard dogs, firearms, and panic buttons. If you wanted to come into the neighbourhood you had to go through a security checkpoint and if you wanted to come onto the estate you'd have to go through another...

So I appreciate the low levels of crime. I like the amount of options a big city provides, there's always something new to discover.  Going forward though the Western economies are in for one huge collapse, I think crime and violence are going to sky-rocket. I think Thailand is a good choice (even though they just had a coup) or any fairly peaceful third world country where the majority are not used to living on entitlements, (As they are in the West).

So I would choose Thailand & probably live not in but near a fairly busy area, on the island of Phuket maybe.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 04:13:38 pm by Empirical1 »

merockstar

Slower pace, more focus on community, everybody isn't as materialistic. I've been reading more about it and somebody made a comparison to America circa-1950s. I've kind of always dreamed about living in the fifties, except with the Internet.

Oh, and did I mention a dollar a gram legally sanctioned marijuana? And beach parties.

New life goal.

Offline jae208

• View Profile
just read this comment in an article

Everyone hangs out outside, says hi to each other on the streets, and they all greet one another with a kiss on the cheek. People stop and actually talk to each other and have real conversations. I am the kind of person that hates small talk, so it was heavenly to discover that people here actually hold meaningful and deep conversations about stuff that really matters. When I did that in America, I was usually met with the "crazy eyes" or a swift change of subject.

omg I hate fake conversations so much! to live in a place where people actually take an interest in each other sounds heavenly.

anyway yea people, tell me where you would go and live if money weren't an object.

or, are there any other hidden secrets like this that I should research?

I think most of Latin America is like that.
It seems to me like their goal in life is to be happy and hold meaningful relationships as opposed to here in the United States the focus is always on making money and having a dream car and house.
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I'm in Thailand for a few weeks now and people are very kind and gentle!! I like it!

merockstar

just read this comment in an article

Everyone hangs out outside, says hi to each other on the streets, and they all greet one another with a kiss on the cheek. People stop and actually talk to each other and have real conversations. I am the kind of person that hates small talk, so it was heavenly to discover that people here actually hold meaningful and deep conversations about stuff that really matters. When I did that in America, I was usually met with the "crazy eyes" or a swift change of subject.

omg I hate fake conversations so much! to live in a place where people actually take an interest in each other sounds heavenly.

anyway yea people, tell me where you would go and live if money weren't an object.

or, are there any other hidden secrets like this that I should research?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 08:33:30 am by merockstar »

Offline onceuponatime

I purchased some of my first bitcoins a few years ago from a miner in Uruguay.

You will be happy there!

merockstar

I like to fantasize about what I would do with my life if I weren't a slave to the system.

It's a tough decision, there's a lot of wonderful things to go do in this world.

Researching different places, I was thinking about what would be important to me tonight.

I would need to live somewhere marijuana friendly. That would be a must. I would want beaches, I've always dreamed of living in a small but modern looking beach villa. So I started looking at those two factors, and stumbled across what looks like this little gem of a nation. Expensive, but perfect as far as what I'm looking for lifestyle wise. That nation is Uruguay.

I would want somewhere advanced enough that modern conveniences, and the internet is in the plurality, but I miss the simplicity of the nineties. Uruguay seems like the perfect blend for that. Alot of stores only take cash, they have these markets set up in the mornings where you can buy plenty of fresh produce, and their beef is supposed to be the best in the world-- which is something that really appealed to me because my step-grandpa used to raise his own beef, and after eating steaks with him I honestly don't really care for the store bought stuff in my homeland of Ohio any more, I really miss that. I've also always wanted to try living somewhere where it's not absolutely mandatory that one must drive to get to where they are going. At a quick glance Punta del Este looks like the perfect place for me to settle down. It's small, but still party-ish. But I'm sure there are many other options.

I would want to live somewhere scenic and there seems to be plenty of that there. I would want a liberal government that aligns itself with my politics, and Uruguay seems to be that way. I would also want options for smaller cities. I grew up in a tiny village and didn't care for it because if you don't fit into the culture, you have no other real options-- too much lack of diversity. I moved to a big city for quite some time, and it was perhaps a bit too fast paced for me. So I like that the average city's population down there is about 30,000. A good cross between small and cozy, but not stifling. In spite of not caring for the culture of my homeland, I have fallen in love with the ability to escape way out into the country, and there's plenty of spaces in Uruguay where that's still possible.

I like the fact that the seasons still change, I wouldn't want to sacrifice winter all together, but winters sound less harsh down there. I prefer nice blistering hot summers.

I also want to try some mate, their national drink which is apparently a Uruguayan answer to coffee, but completely different. It's served in a friggin gourd.

If there are any Uruguayans (is that the correct word?) on this forum, I have definitely taken an interest in your country. Just browsing articles like this, this, this, and this I've already half fallen in love with the place.

Now I ask you, bitsharestalk community, if money were a non-issue where in the world would you choose to live, and why?