Author Topic: Initial convergence of asset value to real value  (Read 4967 times)

Offline AsymmetricInformation

• View Profile
    • Truthcoin
This question has been debated endlessly.

From my reading of this debate (which spans many websites), the discussion did not approach anything like a unanimous conclusion, so I don't know what you expect to gain by bringing it up again.

The only way to know is to turn it on. From there, any number of things could go wrong, or none of them could.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
This thing in particular is known since about 2/28... skipping the XT phase on the other hand was hidden secret until 2 days ago.
calling it 'skippin' is wrong .. it still is the protoDAC .. only difference is that there will not be a snapshot for X but an upgrade ... for investors nothing changes .. for users .. nothing changes .. only thing changed is the name

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
The market requires a minimum market depth before any trades occur to prevent the SIDS attack (Sudden Investment Death Syndom) where low volume allows the attacker to control the initial price.   A lot of effort has gone into the design of the initial starting condition which will require a minimum market depth on both sides of the market before trades begin.
Learn sth. new every day [/end of quote]

+5% yup me also :) - and you'll recognice your acquired knowledge when you talk to people outside the inner discussion cirlce ... noticed this a few days before when talked to my friends...holy moly ... it sounded really nerdy ^^
skipping the XT phase on the other hand was hidden secret until 2 days ago.

sounds like this is a problem for you, isn't it?
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Simeon II

• View Profile
The market requires a minimum market depth before any trades occur to prevent the SIDS attack (Sudden Investment Death Syndom) where low volume allows the attacker to control the initial price.   A lot of effort has gone into the design of the initial starting condition which will require a minimum market depth on both sides of the market before trades begin.

+5% yup me also :) - and you'll recognice your acquired knowledge when you talk to people outside the inner discussion cirlce ... noticed this a few days before when talked to my friends...holy moly ... it sounded really nerdy ^^

This thing in particular is known since about 2/28... skipping the XT phase on the other hand was hidden secret until 2 days ago.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

+5% yup me also :) - and you'll recognice your acquired knowledge when you talk to people outside the inner discussion cirlce ... noticed this a few days before when talked to my friends...holy moly ... it sounded really nerdy ^^ (was a bit scared about)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 02:03:03 pm by cass »
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline pgbit

• View Profile
Thanks everyone for all the explanations.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Assets are only created once shorts and longs cross. So at the very start there is no asset and the market just says "everyone agrees it's above here or below here". Once an asset is on the market and you think it's undervalued you should buy and hold it.

Why would low volume cause it to be undervalued? Even if people who trade in low volume are biased towards going short asset relative to BTS they would still go long the asset if it is undervalued relative to real-world because they're only shorting expecting BTS to actually work and hence the rest of the market to peg the asset as well
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline pgbit

• View Profile
When an asset is first released, for example an asset that is planned to mirror the real time price of a commodity, how will this be affected initially in different trading conditions, for example if trading volumes are low? I might expect (or personally, I mean, have a wild guess) that the asset will more likely than not be undervalued. But I am not sure how the Bitshares X chains are initialized.