Author Topic: [reddit][ethereum] Proof-of-Stake and Distributed Consensus are Incompatible  (Read 5316 times)

Come-from-Beyond

I suspect that POS is still more expensive than buying 51% of network hashes.

Now, when u can rent hashing power for a day, PoW coins r very insecure.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Basically there are 2 parties to me.  Those for network security and those trying to undermine it.  Those trying to undermine it will have to buy a stake and then destroy it while destroying the network.  (In a general sense.)

There's incentive for the existing financial status quo, Central Banks & Banks who are threatened by the rise of crypto-currencies and crypto-equities, to undermine & destroy the networks & thus the competition, the cost isn't too relevant/significant to them at the early stages. No?

I suspect that POS is still more expensive than buying 51% of network hashes.  It would be interesting to see this as a study across all manner of altcoins - their network security cost vs their market cap.  With POW you can't fork miners out as an option either.

Then as Dan points out it is the ultimate in free-market, so the POS network can be forked with the malicious entity left out.  So everyone is back to square one and the attackers have lost their investment.  Sure they'd spread FUD, but the network would continue on with significant equity concentration.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline werneo

• View Profile
    • chronicle of the precession of simulacra
  • BitShares: werneo
Seems like others are having a hard time keeping up with our latest developments as his recent article made no mention of DPOS.  That is perhaps a failure on our part.
Marketing has been the soft underbelly of your company. Your products are so innovative that it's difficult for a critical mass of consumers to grok in a flash. Once BTSX is launched, marketing is going to become a whole lot easier.

BTW, Bytemaster, thank you for everything you do. I appreciate the depth of your vision, your transparency, your work ethic, and your ability to conjure a team of talented, like-minded developers over just a few months. Of all the bitcoin 2.0 projects, it's pretty obvious I picked the right one to invest in. Thank you.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile

Basically there are 2 parties to me.  Those for network security and those trying to undermine it.  Those trying to undermine it will have to buy a stake and then destroy it while destroying the network.  (In a general sense.)

There's incentive for the existing financial status quo, Central Banks & Banks who are threatened by the rise of crypto-currencies and crypto-equities, to undermine & destroy the networks & thus the competition, the cost isn't too relevant/significant to them at the early stages. No?   

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Long-range NaS assumes 51% founders have nothing to lose from undermining the chain they created.   It also assumes that the users of the system are robots with no ability to adapt. 

A lot of these anti-POS arguments are based on an assumption of exceptional irrational behavior.  So yes in POS you can mine to 2 forks in parallel but why would anyone do this ?   The NXT guys called him on this too.  Vitalik references altruistic POS block-signers preventing this but it isn't "altruistic" block-signers, they're just block-signers/miners who don't want to destroy the network.  That isn't altruism.

With Vitalik there are "self-interested miners" who would try to undermine the network that they're invested in.  The good guys are the altruistic miners. It doesn't really jive with my version of reality, but it is a great way for him to frame his argument.  I mean.. who isn't "self-interested".
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline bytemaster

Seems like others are having a hard time keeping up with our latest developments as his recent article made no mention of DPOS.  That is perhaps a failure on our part.

V's response to DPOS:

[–]vbuterin 1 point 5 minutes ago
I would say its resistance to long-range NaS is the biggest concern, and that's dependent entirely on the implementation. Theoretically DPOS is something that could be layered onto any other PoS algorithm; it's actually a slightly higher-level construction than naive PoS, slasher, TaPoS, etc.

What is long-range NaS?

Long-range NaS assumes 51% founders have nothing to lose from undermining the chain they created.   It also assumes that the users of the system are robots with no ability to adapt.    Real consensus exists outside the blockchain and the active delegate slate (elected post-genesis) would clearly implement automatic checkpointing anytime participation is high and therefore they wouldn't even look at alternative chains that date back to genesis. 

All the more reason to have wide allocation in genesis like we have with AGS/PTS.

Bottom line, V. has just demonstrated the superiority of DPOS by showing the weaknesses in the other systems.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline bytemaster

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
nothing-at-stake letting you build a chain from a long time ago. Like he said, it depends on the implementation and how you provide the underlying long-term security. For us the "difficulty" metric is total chain approval. Again like he said, it is still vulnerable to collusion from 51% of initial stakeholders.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile

V's response to DPOS:

I would say its resistance to long-range NaS is the biggest concern, and that's dependent entirely on the implementation. Theoretically DPOS is something that could be layered onto any other PoS algorithm; it's actually a slightly higher-level construction than naive PoS, slasher, TaPoS, etc.

What is long-range NaS?
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile

V's response to DPOS:

Offline bytemaster