Author Topic: is this a phishing site?  (Read 1443 times)

Offline testz

Offline solaaire

• praise the sun!
    • View Profile
pretty sure he got bamboozled :(

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I3 needs to like put warnings about this sort of thing in their newsletter to explain the permanence of such mistakes.  This is the downside of AGS.  Such an easy scam to run given the various I3 sites and fragmented feel of what is officially under I3's control.  Just put in backdoor to send out the wallet/private key and have it functional 100% otherwise.  At some point the compromised person upgrades their wallet from official sources and never even realizes they were compromised.  Not until the thief decides to pounce.

I'd like to say I don't want to scare people, but I really think I do want to scare people.  Pay attention where you download things from.  Only get them from the bitshares github, or the official spot for windows/macos binaries.  Or don't keep your AGS/PTS key online....
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:38:17 am by gamey »
I speak for myself and only myself.

merockstar

this poor guy

downloaded a wallet from what looks to me like a phishing site. When you click the download link it comes up with a registration page.

he donated to AGS too, so I'm kind of at a loss for how to advise him.

Should we tell him to download a good wallet and send his funds there? even if he does that, he's kind of at risk for having god knows what on his computer, right?

should we tell him to run a windows virtual box for nothing but wallets?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:00:17 am by merockstar »