Author Topic: Isn't it better to purchase AGS with BTC than PTS?  (Read 5580 times)

Offline Bitshark

• View Profile
I am totally not following this.  You start with $620 and you either buy 1 BTC with it or you buy 140PTS with it.  Then you donate what you just bought and end up with X number of AGS (the same number either way if efficiency is equal).  Why would it be better to use the $620 to go one way or another when you end up with the same number of AGS?

For whatever reason I have X amount of BTC and X amount of PTS. If I want to allocate say 5BTC to AGS it's better to donate BTC than to lose the dividend on my PTS for the same return in AGS.
Unless I'm missing something this doesn't seem to make any sense in terms of AGS donations.  All you seem to be saying is that you'd rather be holding PTS than BTC.

I'm viewing PTS as a BTC that pays dividends. If I have the option to donate either or for the same amount of AGS, it makes more sense to donate the BTC that doesn't pay dividends.

Offline amencon

• View Profile
I am totally not following this.  You start with $620 and you either buy 1 BTC with it or you buy 140PTS with it.  Then you donate what you just bought and end up with X number of AGS (the same number either way if efficiency is equal).  Why would it be better to use the $620 to go one way or another when you end up with the same number of AGS?

For whatever reason I have X amount of BTC and X amount of PTS. If I want to allocate say 5BTC to AGS it's better to donate BTC than to lose the dividend on my PTS for the same return in AGS.
Unless I'm missing something this doesn't seem to make any sense in terms of AGS donations.  All you seem to be saying is that you'd rather be holding PTS than BTC.

merockstar

Airdrops could target BTC as well, it's just not part of the social consensus.

But it's an arguably pretty damn good demographic to be airdropping coin to.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
What you are missing is that, if you were to donate in BTC, you would have to convert the PTS to BTC anyways.

Since you can convert between PTS and BTC back and forth. Your question is no different than asking if I have 1 BTC and want to donate, should I donate 1 BTC or convert to PTS and then donate.

The fact that you have some proportion of PTS and BTC makes no difference at all.

Essentially you are asking 2 questions in one:

1) When I donate, should I DONATE in BTC or PTS?

2) With my balance left, should I KEEP it in BTC or PTS?

The stuff you donate is gone regardless of whether it was BTC or PTS.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
I disagree. If you have both you donate what is more efficient that particular day. BUT when you donate PTS you buy back immediately after the donation the number of last donated PTS...  the risk is minimum ... you are at risk for the time it gets to buy back your last donated PTS...  If you thing it is to much then have at any moment more PTS than you actually want...  something like a PTS cash /buffer...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 09:29:18 am by liondani »

Offline Bitshark

• View Profile

Offline Simeon II

• View Profile
I follow your line  of thought (believe it or not).

So ,
1st You  convert all your BTC in PTS.

Now you have the same amount as before, you just get distribution from future DACs, for free generally.

Kind of Perpetuum mobile.

::)   :D   ::)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
"Because you lose the potential snapshot from pts" except that doesn't matter and I was wrong... if you have both btc and pts already you should donate the btc and should never have owned pts to begin with

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
donation efficiency measure is deceiving no

Good point... they are "equal" when the donation efficiency is about 25% in PTS's favor.
Hadn't thought of that before.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Bitshark

• View Profile
Example: I am the only one who invests in AGS for the day both via BTC and PTS

PTS = .0071BTC therefore 140PTS = 1BTC

I donate 1BTC to AGS I net a return of 5000AGS
I donate 140PTS to AGS I net a return of 5000AGS, however I lost 140PTS for the donation. So I really netted 4860 AGS and converted 140PTS into 140AGS.

Therefore the donation efficiency measure is deceiving no?

Am I wrong?