Author Topic: BTS: Threats to Newbies upon release?  (Read 1711 times)

Offline JA

• View Profile
fake/unofficial wallets

+5% +5% +5%

It won't just be "wallets".  It will be all the third party DACs.  Without open sourcing the whole thing, no one knows.  Even with open sourcing the project, there are issues.

I3 really needs to put forth a plan to make it so this sort of thing doesn't happen.  People can fork someone's DAC, put in code to grab the BTSX/PTS/BTC wallets and send them somewhere.  With DACs, we are leaving the web security model and moving into a different era where people will be running apps they download again.  This has to be addressed.

I know how strapped I3 is with dev resources and what they are trying to accomplish, but this really needs some thought.  I know there was a thread about it somewhere.. about claiming PTS shares without direct access to the private keys.  It so needs to be done.  "low barrier of entry" is something free market types like to refer to, but it is also pretty much a call for scammers. 

All the crap that I hate about certain types of big government has a valid basis on some level... and thats to keep the scammers out.
maybe we could set up a 24/7 support chat (skype or something) where people get help if they need.
in this case someone would ask if a certain wallet/app etc.. is safe to use

Offline gamey

• View Profile
fake/unofficial wallets

+5% +5% +5%

It won't just be "wallets".  It will be all the third party DACs.  Without open sourcing the whole thing, no one knows.  Even with open sourcing the project, there are issues.

I3 really needs to put forth a plan to make it so this sort of thing doesn't happen.  People can fork someone's DAC, put in code to grab the BTSX/PTS/BTC wallets and send them somewhere.  With DACs, we are leaving the web security model and moving into a different era where people will be running apps they download again.  This has to be addressed.

I know how strapped I3 is with dev resources and what they are trying to accomplish, but this really needs some thought.  I know there was a thread about it somewhere.. about claiming PTS shares without direct access to the private keys.  It so needs to be done.  "low barrier of entry" is something free market types like to refer to, but it is also pretty much a call for scammers. 

All the crap that I hate about certain types of big government has a valid basis on some level... and thats to keep the scammers out. (edit - referring to low barrier of entry here.. and how big government screws things up by making it a permission based society)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 08:33:12 pm by gamey »
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline fuzzy

Just a list with a description for each listed will do...
Just trying to compile some for when we chat tomorrow so we can bring them up :)

Btw...this community is growing more awesome by the day.  Loving it!!
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline solaaire

• praise the sun!
    • View Profile

Offline JA

• View Profile
in which format will they be presented ?
Just the posts or something more summarized ?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:03:49 pm by jabbajabba »

Offline fuzzy

What threats do you see about which you believe new users should be informed?

Please post below
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:22:29 pm by fuznuts »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D