Author Topic: Social Networking Service - Worth it?  (Read 2336 times)

Offline fuzzy

Have no fear... DACs are a SNS now with TITAN + Voting DAC + KYC + BTS X + Passwordless Sign-Up/Sign-In via BTS account.... we will get there.

I was thinking about this tonight.  A social networking site revolving around real-time valuable consensus would be soooo cool.  And it seems like there are many different approaches to maximizing revenue... voting, pay to contribute, advertising, tipping, transaction fees, etc.

I vote the default user image should be a robohash from their username ;D

I'd love to vote your vote up...
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline yellowecho

Have no fear... DACs are a SNS now with TITAN + Voting DAC + KYC + BTS X + Passwordless Sign-Up/Sign-In via BTS account.... we will get there.

I was thinking about this tonight.  A social networking site revolving around real-time valuable consensus would be soooo cool.  And it seems like there are many different approaches to maximizing revenue... voting, pay to contribute, advertising, tipping, transaction fees, etc.

I vote the default user image should be a robohash from their username ;D
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline fuzzy

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline fuzzy

I often wonder if Twitter could be replaced by a DAC.  I mean, it seems like it could be very likely...

Offline yellowecho

+5% +5% +5%
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline jwiz168

• View Profile
Have no fear... DACs are a SNS now with TITAN + Voting DAC + KYC + BTS X + Passwordless Sign-Up/Sign-In via
BTS account.... we will get there.

+5%  +5%  +5%

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado

The common question to start out with is what makes the idea better implemented in a decentraized/blockchain versus a traditional centralized website ?

In theory, it would be better in the way that everything you do would be yours and would not be controlled by a third party for whatever purposes and uses they might use it to

I've thought a little about this. Here's a major problem:

Q. What is the product that Facebook sells?
A. Facebook sells its users. Facebook sells ad space and private data; Facebook's customers are never its users. Facebook users are Facebook's product.

So if you want to make a social networking DAC while preserving privacy, you can't simply copy Facebook's business model - their model is exactly antithetical to your goals. The only way Facebook can offer its services to the public for free is if they make money off the public somehow. How does a DAC do that without charging fees to set up a profile?

Indeed, that's one of the problems I thought of. The concepts end up colliding.

Well, atm the only ways i thought the DAC would make money would be to charge for certain customizations on the user's profiles. Now that you mention it, there could even be some profile pages for this or that brand that could pay some kind of rent to maintain their profiles where they could advertise. Now you ask, what's the difference between having a profile on a social networking service where they have to pay and a regular site? Where, the stores that would advertise there would be more crypto-oriented of course and accept payments in cryptocurrencies. Im just brainstorming btw, these ideas are probably flawled but there is nothing wrong in trying to come up with something^^ That's how everything starts right?

edit: continuing with the idea. maybe people could even vote there and support reliable and trustworthy merchants
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:01:46 pm by Akado »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
I've thought a little about this. Here's a major problem:

Q. What is the product that Facebook sells?
A. Facebook sells its users. Facebook sells ad space and private data; Facebook's customers are never its users. Facebook users are Facebook's product.

So if you want to make a social networking DAC while preserving privacy, you can't simply copy Facebook's business model - their model is exactly antithetical to your goals. The only way Facebook can offer its services to the public for free is if they make money off the public somehow. How does a DAC do that without charging fees to set up a profile?
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline gamey

• View Profile

The common question to start out with is what makes the idea better implemented in a decentraized/blockchain versus a traditional centralized website ?
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
I was brainstorming and this got me curious, in your opinion, would a Social Networking Service (like facebook, hi5, etc) be worth it? I mean, to make a DAC out of this? I mean, I think there would definetely be a market for that. People use it everyday, nowadays it's almost a must for some people.

Problem is, every photo you post, every comment you make, everything you do is 'recorded' so to speak, by the owners. What if this could be done, but people could still keep their privacy?

I think it is definetely an idea with huge profit potential, however two things make me wonder: the first is if it's own concept doesnt defeat itself, i mean, is it possible to have an app where we could post photos, share our life and still keep it private? Maybe idea could be merged with Keyhotee? But then again, the concepts might collide. Second is, although almost everyone use one of these social networks, it would only be profitable if adopted by the masses, however i really dunno if they would care enough for this.

In the end, I think the most difficult obstacle (if the social network vs privacy idea doesn't collide) would be to educate and adopt consumers. However if this is achieved, I can see huge profit potential

Just wanted to share an idea and know your thoughts. Thank you^^
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads