Author Topic: Who wants btsxtalk ?  (Read 2254 times)

Offline fuzzy

I am real close to setting up btsxtalk.org using simple machines forum.  This means it'll be a lot like this place or bitcointalk

Cons) Splits off users into 2 sites intead of bitsharestalk - This can be bad for traffic in general.  It becomes a pain to now view 2 forums.

Pros)  We get a forum with lots of subforums.  This can help promote discussion.  This also lets Bitsharestalk.org go back to other core interests.  All forums are back to top level.  I'll enforce exist usernames from this forum, but otherwise very pro-speech and sock puppets are allowed.  No more need to hide forums on a second page because of space issues. It can promote discussion because now people can go there straight for btsx.  There will be a lot of different things to discuss once the next stage goes live.  We already have voting, delegate running, etc etc.

I'll make plenty of mods to clean up spam, but no one will be able to see IPs except me the owner.  (Assuming SMF allows that.)  It would be run like bitcointalk.org and here. No personal information given out that isn't already made available.  I will delete over the top maliciousness.  I will only edit posts to remove personal or tasteless content.

The reason I am posting this here is that I really don't care to do it if I don't feel I have a large amount of community support.  Maybe people think it isn't worth it to potentially fragment the forums.  There is nothing wrong with this place btw.  It is just becoming cluttered.

We should chat about this...good opportunity consodering some new occurrances with which jabbajabba has pushed forward
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline D4vegee

• View Profile

I am real close to setting up btsxtalk.org using simple machines forum.  This means it'll be a lot like this place or bitcointalk

Cons) Splits off users into 2 sites intead of bitsharestalk - This can be bad for traffic in general.  It becomes a pain to now view 2 forums.

Pros)  We get a forum with lots of subforums.  This can help promote discussion.  This also lets Bitsharestalk.org go back to other core interests.  All forums are back to top level.  I'll enforce exist usernames from this forum, but otherwise very pro-speech and sock puppets are allowed.  No more need to hide forums on a second page because of space issues. It can promote discussion because now people can go there straight for btsx.  There will be a lot of different things to discuss once the next stage goes live.  We already have voting, delegate running, etc etc.

I'll make plenty of mods to clean up spam, but no one will be able to see IPs except me the owner.  (Assuming SMF allows that.)  It would be run like bitcointalk.org and here. No personal information given out that isn't already made available.  I will delete over the top maliciousness.  I will only edit posts to remove personal or tasteless content.

The reason I am posting this here is that I really don't care to do it if I don't feel I have a large amount of community support.  Maybe people think it isn't worth it to potentially fragment the forums.  There is nothing wrong with this place btw.  It is just becoming cluttered.

Use Discourse! The best forum is the MaidSafe forum because they use Discourse. http://www.discourse.org/

Why clone this forum and make it exactly the same?

Discourse is VERY good.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
maybe later, when it really becomes too cluttered

agreed - later maybe - but now users would be more confused then it would clarify things IMO
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Use Discourse! The best forum is the MaidSafe forum because they use Discourse. http://www.discourse.org/

IMO people do not go to forums for look and feel.  They go where the interesting discussion is being had. This is done by things beyond look and feel. You can go find a dozen forums out there aimed at some crypto-space with almost no traffic. 

I was looking at vbulletin but realize that isn't being used here or bitcointalk.  SMF works well.

My problem is when you go to a place like bitcointalk and look at their alternative crypto section you realize how active it is.  That portion alone really needs its own forum.  It becomes a huge mess and that is because the spin-off (altcoins) get more traffic than the core item (bitcoin).   
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
You can always turn off sections of this forum you are not interested in.

Then the other problem is searching for something would now need to be done in two places.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I'm not sure cluttered is the right word.  It is just there are so many aspects to btsx that it really needs its own spot that organizes things btsx related (and possibly other exchanges).  This forum is already cluttered on the organizational level, due to the breadth of Bitshares.  There just isn't enough room left.

Some people will wish to talk about the BitAssets, others wish to talk about delegates etc.  We now have single threads where the thread should really be a sub-forum in itself.

Although I would like to have a successful forum myself, I also don't particularly care to fragment what we have here.  So.. I probably won't be setting it up.  Or perhaps I will but not ever advertise it. lol

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
maybe later, when it really becomes too cluttered
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline testz

IMO I prefer one place for discussion as today. If you want to get forum users opinion faster, please change this topic to the poll.

Offline gamey

• View Profile