Author Topic: Hey, BTSX delegates, come here.  (Read 19107 times)

Offline HackFisher

• View Profile
Whats the reasoning behind not voting for yourself?  or is that only for the GUI.  If so why is that?

Because getting a delegate is now a popularity contest. :)

I see no reason why this shouldn't be allowed. I mean what's preventing one to create a separate wallet and vote for themselves anyways.

Sorry, It's miss leading, I mean if you have a lot of shares, and want to make money by delegate, but you do not have skills(e.g. setting up a vps) and hardware, it's a good strategy to vote for others to get return, not a good idea to be delegate yourself, I think.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline jae208

• View Profile
If you choose your pay rate to be 85 does that mean the other 15% is paid as dividends?

Has anybody created a step by step guide on how to become a delegate with a vps?

I might just do one myself once I learn how to do it first.

so is it not recommended to be a delegate with the gui?
If so how do you do it otherwise? where do you download the BTSX wallet thats not GUI?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 11:38:00 pm by jae208 »
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Xeldal

My bad, I miss read what you said. Thanks for restating. 

I can only guess that its an issue with the GUI causing delays for producing blocks and therefor not suitable for a delegate?? Not sure how the voting for ones self fits into it though.

I don't think there is any conflict in someone voting for themselves.  It makes perfect sense to me and I expect it.  The larger the stake someone has the more interested they are in maintaining a proper system.  Why would they be expected to put that faith in someone else when they are doing it themselves. 

Offline bitcoinerS

• View Profile
How about voting out initial delegates?
>>> approve bitcoiners

Offline bitcoinba

• View Profile
This is going to be fun. Reserved.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
My understanding is because votes are based on stake.  It wouldn't matter how many accounts you have because your total stake, or voting power, would be the same.

You totally missed the point, I didn't imply it's not based on stake:

1) Why shouldn't I be allowed to vote for myself with my own stake?
2) What's preventing me from creating a delegate B) then voting for B) with A) which has the large % stake?! :)

Xeldal

Whats the reasoning behind not voting for yourself?  or is that only for the GUI.  If so why is that?

I see no reason why this shouldn't be allowed. I mean what's preventing one to create a separate wallet and vote for themselves anyways.

My understanding is because votes are based on stake.  It wouldn't matter how many accounts you have because your total stake, or voting power, would be the same.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile

Xeldal

Offline testz

Here is a very nice guide about how to start as delegate.
https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit/wiki/DPOS-Registering-Names-And-Delegates

Don't hurry to be a delegate, have a look at the guides first, it will help you a lot.

First rule: do not run delegate in the GUI and then vote for your self.
Second rule: find and vote in good guys, never approval for those delegate with low reliability and don't produce blocks.
Third rule: do you remember to unlock 999999999 for enough long time before go to bed?

I think this important:
4rd rule: don't forget to change network param, in console type:
Code: [Select]
network_set_advanced_node_parameters {"desired_number_of_connections":50, "maximum_number_of_connections":100}
Update: Another very nice guide https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit/wiki/DPOS-initial-delegate-setup
Update: As I found yesterday the most important things for delegate it's to have time synchronized with reliable worldwide ntp, if time of delegate different too much - 99% that delegate will miss the block. Time synchronization become even more important in VM environment, if your delegate works as VM.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:54:16 am by testz »

Offline HackFisher

• View Profile
+5% +5% +5%

Any recommendation for the hardware? or common PC is OK?

I recommend to use a stable VPS, at least 2GB Memory and > 40 GB for now. That would not cost too much, just $20~$40 each month.

You can improve your hardware over time as the requirement changing.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:16:14 pm by HackFisher »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Does voting take into account balance of the voter?

Offline Riverhead

First rule: do not run delegate in the GUI and then vote for your self.
Second rule: find and vote in good guys, never approval for those delegate with low reliability and don't produce blocks.
Third rule: do you remember to unlock 999999999 for enough long time before go to bed?

Thanks for this. Other than not voting for yourself is there any other reason not to run delegate in the GUI?  I'll be setting up a dedicated Ubuntu headless rig for this once I get it compiled but for now it's just the Windows client.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Code: [Select]
wallet_approve_delegate kpd-1

I've been running 24/7 during test net.

Offline ripplexiaoshan

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: jademont
wallet_approve_delegate btsx.chinesecommunity true

50% payrate, half of the income will be donated to yinchg monthly, who is managing a donation fund for BTSX promoting in China

The latest promotion event is :

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=4744.0
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:50:19 pm by ripplexiaoshan »
BTS committee member:jademont