Author Topic: To the guy who registered "toast"  (Read 6235 times)

Offline vikram

There is a command: wallet_account_rename <current name> <new name>

Would that free up toast if he simply renamed the account to something else? 

Also there was talk in the beginning of having account names expire if not maintained.  Not implemented yet but it could solve this "rush to register everything" problem.  Maybe initially have it require a 3 month maintenance or something.  You'd maintain the names you cared about and the others you'd let back into the wild.

I believe the expiration may be implemented at some point (see https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=5753.msg77618#msg77618), which would allow freeing up names so that they can be reassigned to fresh keys.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
To solve the deeper issue, how about a slight fee per unit of time for holding a name?

Offline CLains

• View Profile
Yes, warnings are good.

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
At least there is little value in fooling ourselves that non-transferable is some magic property of the names preventing the rational from squatting. The only thing required to be a perfectly rational and efficient merchant of names in this system is to acquire and maintain a certain level of trust and accountability.

Doesn't it seem more likely people are just assuming that names are transferable as in most systems since they're not obviously told in the software?  In order for economic incentives to work properly, people have to know about them.  Right?

when creating an account maybe it would help that the system mentions that names are not transferable...

Exactly. 

We don't know if making them non-transferrable will work to prevent squatting because the people who it is supposed to warn away from this behavior do not even know it does not help them.  Which is pretty consistent.
Email me at adam@letstalkbitcoin.com

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
At least there is little value in fooling ourselves that non-transferable is some magic property of the names preventing the rational from squatting. The only thing required to be a perfectly rational and efficient merchant of names in this system is to acquire and maintain a certain level of trust and accountability.

Doesn't it seem more likely people are just assuming that names are transferable as in most systems since they're not obviously told in the software?  In order for economic incentives to work properly, people have to know about them.  Right?

when creating an account maybe it would help that the system mentions that names are not transferable...

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!

Doesn't it seem more likely people are just assuming that names are transferrable as in most systems since they're not obviously told in the software?  In order for economic incentives to work properly, people have to know about them.  Right?

Offline CLains

• View Profile

Offline Riverhead

There is a command: wallet_account_rename <current name> <new name>

Would that free up toast if he simply renamed the account to something else? 

Also there was talk in the beginning of having account names expire if not maintained.  Not implemented yet but it could solve this "rush to register everything" problem.  Maybe initially have it require a 3 month maintenance or something.  You'd maintain the names you cared about and the others you'd let back into the wild.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 09:57:34 am by Riverhead »

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
couldnt the name registration be halted until everybody got it running?

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Nice one, glad to see my handle is as high-value a squatting target as names like "netflix", "nissan", "nokia", "yandex", etc.
Too bad names aren't transferrable, otherwise you could have made a killing!

Good look with your delegate campaign for "orz"!

(edit: to be fair, I have no concrete proof these are all connected until there's a better block explorer - just a hunch based on lump of timestamps)

oh,it was me.
I searched for common english words on google,then register whatever pops up in my head.I even register the ID "password" because the wallet has "password" hint on it . I was doing it just for fun until  I got tired .
I didn't realize it until somebody told me . Because comparing to Bytemaster and stan and hackerfish , your name is not that common for me to see , and it was almost 2:00 AM ,so a fuzzy head can't even think clearly.
And it wasn't a delegate ID.

If it is trade-able,I will give you for free.
and , "netflix", "nissan", "nokia", "yandex"   are not mine.

Like I said they are not transferrable.. I'd still like the private key so I can sweep funds people send on accident, but I can not use it safely now =[

If I give the private key to you , would that affect the security or privacy of my other names and address?

No, only transactions for the account "toast"
how to get that? type in what?
once i get that ,i'll PM it to you

Actually I am not 100% sure of how safe it is.. once I'm sure I will get back to you. Maybe I will decide I don't want it b/c I don't want to encourage sharing private keys...
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
someone suggested 'leasing' out names you own ...

Ok... So you would rather it be profitable for someone to go down and buy every single name and then lease them via a website?

I don't think that solves the problem, there needs to be a barrier to entry from getting a bunch of names and making it profitable will make the problem worse not better.

I don't know a solution to the problem, I rather liked the idea that it would take a days worth of processing power from a normal computer per year.

Offline jae208

• View Profile
someone suggested 'leasing' out names you own ...
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
indeed, it seems like it might have been better to have people "Mine" their names for like a day, the cost of a name is trivial especially when compared to the cost of an asset.  I think its important this is explained in a tool tip or something because otherwise someone will wind up with a lot of names they'll never use and nobody else can either.

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi
alt is registered by others too.
I slept too early yesterday.  :o

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Nice one, glad to see my handle is as high-value a squatting target as names like "netflix", "nissan", "nokia", "yandex", etc.
Too bad names aren't transferrable, otherwise you could have made a killing!

Good look with your delegate campaign for "orz"!

(edit: to be fair, I have no concrete proof these are all connected until there's a better block explorer - just a hunch based on lump of timestamps)

oh,it was me.
I searched for common english words on google,then register whatever pops up in my head.I even register the ID "password" because the wallet has "password" hint on it . I was doing it just for fun until  I got tired .
I didn't realize it until somebody told me . Because comparing to Bytemaster and stan and hackerfish , your name is not that common for me to see , and it was almost 2:00 AM ,so a fuzzy head can't even think clearly.
And it wasn't a delegate ID.

If it is trade-able,I will give you for free.
and , "netflix", "nissan", "nokia", "yandex"   are not mine.

Like I said they are not transferrable.. I'd still like the private key so I can sweep funds people send on accident, but I can not use it safely now =[

If I give the private key to you , would that affect the security or privacy of my other names and address?

No, only transactions for the account "toast"
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.