Author Topic: Is the password effectively a brain-wallet ?  (Read 2390 times)

Offline voldemort628

• View Profile
So how do i create multiple wallets?
I.e for bitcon i can have multiple wallet.dat files, what about in btsx?
Do i just keep the "wallets" folder like i keep the wallet.dat?

Offline vikram

Password performs the same purpose as the password on your bit coin wallet, it encrypts the private keys on your disk.   Private keys are generated from random data by Open SSL and secure.

Your password strength only becomes an issue if someone hacks your computer and wants to brute force your wallet password to get your private keys.   This is very different from a weak brain wallet where anyone can attempt to brute force your keys without even having to have hacked your computer.

Thanks for clearing this up - thats what I was hoping for. But then the wiki should be clarified that its not just your passphrase that you need to backup, but your wallet file as well.

I have put a note about it on the page: http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BitShares_X_How-To

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Password performs the same purpose as the password on your bit coin wallet, it encrypts the private keys on your disk.   Private keys are generated from random data by Open SSL and secure.

Your password strength only becomes an issue if someone hacks your computer and wants to brute force your wallet password to get your private keys.   This is very different from a weak brain wallet where anyone can attempt to brute force your keys without even having to have hacked your computer.

Thanks for clearing this up - thats what I was hoping for. But then the wiki should be clarified that its not just your passphrase that you need to backup, but your wallet file as well.

Offline Count of La Mancha

• View Profile

Offline voldemort628

• View Profile
Apparently the password is very important but whats the significance of it?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I thought pwd is just for encryption and keys are random .. need clarificatiob from devs!!

Offline speedy

• View Profile
i think you have to keep it as safe as how u keep your Nxt passphrase. cos basically thats the key to your money :)

Thats what I suspected.

Dont most people agree that in terms of security:

generated private key + passphrase > passphrase only

Offline voldemort628

• View Profile
i think you have to keep it as safe as how u keep your Nxt passphrase. cos basically thats the key to your money :)

Offline speedy

• View Profile
In the wiki it says that you have to create a 40+ character password, and save that to a USB stick / print it out.

http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Bitshares-x-how-to

The password is therefore the private seed itself, and not just a way to secure a private key file.

Hasnt 5 years of Bitcoin shown us that people cant be trusted to created brain wallets ?