Author Topic: How & When to Backup Your Wallet  (Read 9181 times)

merockstar

Do I have to back up again after making any transaction? (ie. Bitcoin-qt client auto create change address after making transaction so you have to back up the wallet again)

not sure about the answer to your actual question, but if I were to guess I would say the answer is no because of TITAN.

off-topic, but interesting: for bitcoin (and altcoins that use the QT client) if you open your bitcoin.conf file and add the line:
Code: [Select]
keypool=aBigNumber

it will go ahead and pre-generate however many addresses you told it to (I chose 5000). It takes a minute, and it will look like the wallet froze. Then you dont have to worry about backing it up for a while.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
No ... keys ares semi deterministic ... masterkey .. tied to you accountname is random .. each further key of that account is deterministic

Backing up the account key is enough to secure the account

Offline kokojie

• View Profile
Do I have to back up again after making any transaction? (ie. Bitcoin-qt client auto create change address after making transaction so you have to back up the wallet again)

Offline Cryptofreakoutlaw31

• View Profile
I have a question to make sure that I understand when I am backing up my Bitshares:

I created two accounts.   The first account that I created was the one that I registered,  The second account that I created is the one that I did not register but I transferred a bulk of my BTSX (bought from Bter) from my registered to the second unregistered account.  I backed up the 2nd unregistered account to another drive.  I did not backup the 1st account that I registered since I already registered it before seeing this thread. 

Did I do this right in backing up the 2nd unregistered BTSX account that I transferred most of my BTSX to? 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Ok nevermind Im manually dumping my private keys from my Electrum wallet and it seems to be picking it up now. I think my computer is just incredibly slow so the qt wallet takes about a minute before it shows my funds updated.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
No need to copy and paste the key... just send it to your account name.  Be sure to vote for some delegates first :)

Ah I see I can just type my unregistered account name into the To field - nice.

I successfully imported my PTS wallet, but then I tried importing my Electrum wallet. It said in the console "Successfully imported 12 keys from: wallet.dat" But no new funds were added to my balance. Is there something else I need to do to import from Electrum ?

Offline bytemaster

I havent registered any accounts on the blockchain (its optional right?). I just exported & backed up my wallet. I then imported my protoshares. Does the importing automatically move those PTS BTSX to an address that is controlled by my BTSX deterministic wallet?

Or does importing the PTS wallet just copy the PTS addresses into my BTSX wallet? In that case would I have to re-backup my BTSX wallet?

I really want to get this right...

Importing just loads the keys, you have to make a transfer to move the funds.

Thanks BM. So should I copy-paste my Account Key from the Advanced tab as a new contact named "Me" and send the funds to that address?

No need to copy and paste the key... just send it to your account name.  Be sure to vote for some delegates first :)
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
I havent registered any accounts on the blockchain (its optional right?). I just exported & backed up my wallet. I then imported my protoshares. Does the importing automatically move those PTS BTSX to an address that is controlled by my BTSX deterministic wallet?

Or does importing the PTS wallet just copy the PTS addresses into my BTSX wallet? In that case would I have to re-backup my BTSX wallet?

Thanks BM. So should I copy-paste my Account Key from the Advanced tab as a new contact named "Me" and send the funds to that address?

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline speedy

• View Profile

merockstar

The problem is that due to the nature of TITAN, we currently must scan every transaction with every key you own to check if you've received anything. This scanning is slow.

when does this start getting noticeable? is there some recommended number of accounts that can be made while still running efficiently? maybe there should be a warning in the client when you go to create more than that numbers of accounts.

Offline vikram

I feel auto backups should be made once a new account is created. Newbies wont create backups and when there comp crashes and needs reformatting they are SOL.

We have plans for this: https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit/issues/453

Offline Bitshark

• View Profile
I feel auto backups should be made once a new account is created. Newbies wont create backups and when there comp crashes and needs reformatting they are SOL.

Offline vikram

The problem is that due to the nature of TITAN, we currently must scan every transaction with every key you own to check if you've received anything. This scanning is slow.

merockstar

well crap. I'd love to see where you read that. wonder if it's possible to deregister some names.

It is true.  I assume at some point we might be able to ignore names in the wallet so they wouldn't require crypto-calculations 0, but there are tons of things like this that need to be done. :(  For now don't have create many accounts unless you really know what you're doing.

well, I've made 8, and the transactions still seem to be confirming reasonably fast (by that I mean near instantly).

I won't make any more.

Do you think this problem is caused by many accounts, or many funded accounts? Cause I haven't funded any of them except one yet.