Author Topic: How & When to Backup Your Wallet  (Read 9253 times)

Offline gamey

• View Profile

well crap. I'd love to see where you read that. wonder if it's possible to deregister some names.

It is true.  I assume at some point we might be able to ignore names in the wallet so they wouldn't require crypto-calculations 0, but there are tons of things like this that need to be done. :(  For now don't have create many accounts unless you really know what you're doing.
I speak for myself and only myself.

merockstar

i backed up my wallet. then registered a few extra names that I thought of after the fact.

is there any reason I should back up my wallet again?

btsx should look at the blockchain, see who registered the those names, and associate them with that wallet in the future, right?

What's the point of registering extra names?

idk. vanity.

i registered my first name. then my first name and last initial. then my full name and my forum avatar. then remembered a nickname from my teenage years that a lot of people knew me as.

I seem to recall Bytemaster saying that multiple names would slow down your wallet.

well crap. I'd love to see where you read that. wonder if it's possible to deregister some names.

Offline onceuponatime

i backed up my wallet. then registered a few extra names that I thought of after the fact.

btsx should look at the blockchain, see who registered the those names, and associate them with that wallet in the future, right?

idk. vanity.

i registered my first name. then my first name and last initial. then my full name and my forum avatar. then remembered a nickname from my teenage years that a lot of people knew me as.

I seem to recall Bytemaster saying that multiple names would slow down your wallet.

merockstar

idk. vanity.

Offline onceuponatime

merockstar

Offline vikram

@BM

Correct me if I was wrong. I am using the Windows package. When I was tried to move the wallet from one PC to another PC. I go to roaming folder and copy the wallet folder inside the BitShares X folder along. I saw that it works fine. Is it a good way to move/backup/restore the wallet?

I see that we have the backup option to export the .json file. I think it is used for backup at this point of time. The import function doesnt work yet?

Import works, it is just not user-friendly.  Your approach also works.

Can someone explain how to do this (through the command line??). 

My wallet crashed on one computer and I couldn't re-install and get it to reopen (Mac version, reference post here: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=5968.msg79809#msg79809  At least one other is having this problem too).

Able to get wallet operational on another computer but can't figure out how to import .json file.

HELP  :-\

edit: I also wanted to mention this is for a registered account on the blockchain, if it makes any difference.

Alright an update on my attempts to import the .json file:

Tried to use: wallet_create_from_json <json_filename> <wallet_name> <imported_wallet_passphrase>

and then received:

Code: [Select]
wallet must be open to execute this command. You can:
(o) Open an existing wallet
(c) Create a new wallet
(q) Abort command
Command aborted

So I type: (c) and get
>> (c)

Error: invalid command "(c)"

If anyone else has figure this out, let me know... I'm not a CS savvy guy, but I'd appreciate any help.  Happy to tip you.  :)

This should not ask you to open a wallet if you do wallet_create_from_json. Can you copy and paste the entire series of commands and their output when you try to import the json file?

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
@BM

Correct me if I was wrong. I am using the Windows package. When I was tried to move the wallet from one PC to another PC. I go to roaming folder and copy the wallet folder inside the BitShares X folder along. I saw that it works fine. Is it a good way to move/backup/restore the wallet?

I see that we have the backup option to export the .json file. I think it is used for backup at this point of time. The import function doesnt work yet?

My wallet crashed on one computer and I couldn't re-install and get it to reopen (Mac version, reference post here: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=5968.msg79809#msg79809  At least one other is having this problem too).

Able to get wallet operational on another computer but can't figure out how to import .json file.

edit: I also wanted to mention this is for a registered account on the blockchain, if it makes any difference.

Tried to use: wallet_create_from_json <json_filename> <wallet_name> <imported_wallet_passphrase>

and then received:

(c) Create a new wallet
(q) Abort command
Command aborted

>> (c)

If anyone else has figure this out, let me know... I'm not a CS savvy guy, but I'd appreciate any help.  Happy to tip you.  :)
Try c without parentheses.

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

@BM

and then received:

(c) Create a new wallet
(q) Abort command
Command aborted

>> (c)

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

@BM

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:45:33 am by G1ng3rBr34dM4n »

Offline bytemaster

is it safe to change the password from the win gui console from time to time ?

Should be safe.  Your backup will still use the old password.
the old backups not the backups created after that point ...

Correct.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
is it safe to change the password from the win gui console from time to time ?

Should be safe.  Your backup will still use the old password.
the old backups not the backups created after that point ...

Offline bytemaster

@BM

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

How deterministic are we talking here?  I created two wallets on two machines (one to use and one delegate server) with the same pass phrase (strong).  Are these two machines effectively running the same wallet?

They are deterministic from a random seed data, not from your password.