Author Topic: Secure to hold a balance of BTSX on VPS wallet?  (Read 1332 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Don't forget to also note you passphrase as privkeys are encrpyted in the json file

Offline amencon

• View Profile

Offline bytemaster

Hey guys, just wanted opinions on how secure it is to keep BTSX coins on a VPS like digital ocean.  I have bitsharesx software installed in a few different places and on a couple different OSes, the VPS is standard Ubuntu and not used for anything else so I assume it's relatively safe from being hacked, however how likely is it that the hosting service wipes it on accident?  Should the private key be saved offline as well in case of such an event?

Thanks.

Export your wallet to a .json and save it someplace safe.   

VPS is always risky with private keys, but I doubt DO will attack it.  Just don't store a meaningful amount there.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline amencon

• View Profile
Hey guys, just wanted opinions on how secure it is to keep BTSX coins on a VPS like digital ocean.  I have bitsharesx software installed in a few different places and on a couple different OSes, the VPS is standard Ubuntu and not used for anything else so I assume it's relatively safe from being hacked, however how likely is it that the hosting service wipes it on accident?  Should the private key be saved offline as well in case of such an event?

Thanks.