Author Topic: 5 people control about 1/3 of the delegates.  (Read 14657 times)

Offline GaltReport

That isn't including any of the initial delegates. And there are still 26 of those. So 6 entities control well over half the delegates.

Maybe you guys want it that way?

This is not looking very decentralized.  Especially to any newcomers.

We want 100 unique individuals, but obviously there are not 100 qualified candidates right now.  Show me a list with 101 unique individuals ready to operate nodes and I will vote for them all in a minute.

Right now the system is young and is already more decentralized that bitcoin & Ripple.

You are entirely too quick to judge.  Look at the DIRECTION it is moving and not where it is.  It started out 100% centralized... now you are complaining about 5 people with about 7% control each?   And then insinuate that we want centralization?  ::)

I have no delegates in top101. I'm ready to operate a node.
You may try voting in some of the delegate(s) hosted by me:

emski
angel-delegate
lotto-delegate
immortal

They have dedicated hardware. Backup internet connection. UPS. SSD.
They proved reliable during dry runs.

I have one delegate and I can't get into the top 101 either.  Paying good money for it. Probably cancel it later today.

It seems to be ironic that there is a need for unique qualified delegates but there is no way verify the uniqueness or qualifications of any delegate. So I sense a hesitancy to vote for people that aren't already "in".

Greg what was your delegate ID?  I'll vote for you.

How about giving delegate1-galt   a chance to work  for you?  I just was trying to verify it was working before asking.  if he's not good, fire him and I will fix him or build a better delegate!!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:07:30 pm by GaltReport »

Ggozzo

That isn't including any of the initial delegates. And there are still 26 of those. So 6 entities control well over half the delegates.

We want 100 unique individuals, but obviously there are not 100 qualified candidates right now.  Show me a list with 101 unique individuals ready to operate nodes and I will vote for them all in a minute.

Right now the system is young and is already more decentralized that bitcoin & Ripple.

You are entirely too quick to judge.  Look at the DIRECTION it is moving and not where it is.  It started out 100% centralized... now you are complaining about 5 people with about 7% control each?   And then insinuate that we want centralization?  ::)

emski
angel-delegate
lotto-delegate
immortal

I have one delegate and I can't get into the top 101 either.  Paying good money for it. Probably cancel it later today.

It seems to be ironic that there is a need for unique qualified delegates but there is no way verify the uniqueness or qualifications of any delegate. So I sense a hesitancy to vote for people that aren't already "in".

skyscraperfarms

Thanks!

Offline bytemaster

emski
angel-delegate
lotto-delegate
immortal

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Ggozzo

emski
angel-delegate
lotto-delegate
immortal

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG

emski
angel-delegate
lotto-delegate
immortal

Offline GaltReport

BTSX76TAEgPBhGNfgkfNjPmzEu31a2kGqYUL2umUFZaSYWi1R57CiV adds just fine.  Not sure if thats your key though.

Not anymore.  blew that away.  Now I have: XTS6v4boE6wB42Lp21tiFZRUc5kDq21UHFKXEhBf9EUJm1dvBNu8q

which I also can't add.

Looks like you built from the test network code (XTS prefix) and not the dacsunlimited code (BTSX prefix)

Yes, i got that fixed and registered  delegate1-galt as a delegate.  Just not sure if  it's all working.  I have a log file that shows a lot of this stuff:

Peer 178.62.50.61:1776 is disconnecting us because: I rejected your connection request (hello message ) so I'm disconnecting                   node.cpp:2119
20140722T122543.695612       th_a            read_loop ] disconnected 0 exception: unspecified
Bad file descriptor
    {"message":"Bad file descriptor"}
    asio  asio.cpp:28 read_write_handler

do I need to set  config files  and/or open any ports?

Offline bytemaster

BTSX76TAEgPBhGNfgkfNjPmzEu31a2kGqYUL2umUFZaSYWi1R57CiV adds just fine.  Not sure if thats your key though.

Not anymore.  blew that away.  Now I have: XTS6v4boE6wB42Lp21tiFZRUc5kDq21UHFKXEhBf9EUJm1dvBNu8q

which I also can't add.

Looks like you built from the test network code (XTS prefix) and not the dacsunlimited code (BTSX prefix)
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline GaltReport

ah, how would one test if your proposed delegate actually works? 

BTW, any config files need to be set to anything?  ports opened?

I see a log file with a  lot of this:

Peer 178.62.50.61:1776 is disconnecting us because: I rejected your connection request (hello message ) so I'm disconnecting                   node.cpp:2119
20140722T122543.695612       th_a            read_loop ] disconnected 0 exception: unspecified
Bad file descriptor
    {"message":"Bad file descriptor"}
    asio  asio.cpp:28 read_write_handler

I'm thinking that this is not good....

(just noticed I became a full member during this process.  :) )
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 12:31:58 pm by GaltReport »

Offline GaltReport

Now that I have "registered", how do I register as a delegate?

Never mind.  Finally figured it out. 

If you choose to, you can vote for my fledgling delegate that keeps only 5% of fees:

delegate1-galt

Good dedicated server that will hopefully prove to be reliable.  In the coming days I will speak to the community more about why you might want to vote for my delegate(s). For now, thanks again for those that helped me get setup and thanks to Bytemaster and his team for build instructions that actually worked! So important and so hard to do!!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:41:47 am by GaltReport »

merockstar

Due to low voter turn out our stake is enough to be "king maker" until more people bring their stake on line.   The only qualification I am looking for right now is someone who has made a public attempt to engage the community and recrute votes.   If someone wants to be a delegate and cannot get the votes then contact me and you will be put in.

That said, if I vote for someone who doesn't perform then I remove my vote and select someone else.

I would love to just remove my stake and let others decide, but there is at least one actor out there with 1.5% of the stake whom I do not trust based upon their attempt to leverage the good names of people in the crypto-community to get votes.   

So if someone wants to help increase decentralization then I will vote them in.   None of the delegates that are in right now are there solely because they voted for themselves.  They are there mostly because I have bumped them with ~3% of the vote from the PTS Angel address.

gotcha!

I will look into setting up a VPS and seeing if I can't delegate myself up.

EDIT: what specs should I be looking for in a VPS? anyone have any recommendations for a good one that accepts bitcoin? anyone super technical willing to help me out if I have questions (i'm sure it'll happen)?

I'm only doing this to help get the network through this initial bootstrapping. I'm not serious as a candidate, but who knows where it could go if it works out.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Virtual_private_server
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:32:00 am by merockstar »

Offline GaltReport

Now that I have "registered", how do I register as a delegate?

Offline GaltReport

Success!! Thanks Puppies and GregGozzzo.

Got it built and registered my account.  So good so far.

Offline GaltReport

As this is building I ponder the fact that the I3 "partnered" with a Hong Kong organization to launch this and am just wondering....and assuming....that running a delegate is okay here in the U.S.?? LOL

Not that I am looking for legal advice or anything...LOL

(who would have thought that THIS was how they would finally get me!)

Offline GaltReport

As this is building I ponder the fact that the I3 "partnered" with a Hong Kong organization to launch this and am just wondering....and assuming....that running a delegate is okay here in the U.S.?? LOL

Not that I am looking for legal advice or anything...LOL

Offline GaltReport

Everything else is the same.
 Git submodule init
Git submodule update
Cmake .
Make

Thanks, building now.