Author Topic: 5 people control about 1/3 of the delegates.  (Read 14535 times)

Ggozzo

That isn't including any of the initial delegates. And there are still 26 of those. So 6 entities control well over half the delegates.

Maybe you guys want it that way?

This is not looking very decentralized.  Especially to any newcomers.

We want 100 unique individuals, but obviously there are not 100 qualified candidates right now.  Show me a list with 101 unique individuals ready to operate nodes and I will vote for them all in a minute.

Right now the system is young and is already more decentralized that bitcoin & Ripple.

You are entirely too quick to judge.  Look at the DIRECTION it is moving and not where it is.  It started out 100% centralized... now you are complaining about 5 people with about 7% control each?   And then insinuate that we want centralization?  ::)

Look, with 101 delegates, someone is always going to say "too centralized". Even if it were 101 unique individuals. All I am saying is that it is not helping promote a decentralized perception when you can look at the delegate list and see with 100% certainty that a few people control a majority of the network. You are probably right that it will smooth out more as time passes and BTer and other exchanges enable withdraws. I have quite a few BTS I have bought waiting for withdraw.

When I said "you guys", I wasn't referring to you as in I3 or DACSunlimited, I was talking to the voters. Participation is and will be the problem.  I'll shut up now.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
That isn't including any of the initial delegates. And there are still 26 of those. So 6 entities control well over half the delegates.

We want 100 unique individuals, but obviously there are not 100 qualified candidates right now.  Show me a list with 101 unique individuals ready to operate nodes and I will vote for them all in a minute.

Right now the system is young and is already more decentralized that bitcoin & Ripple.

You are entirely too quick to judge.  Look at the DIRECTION it is moving and not where it is.  It started out 100% centralized... now you are complaining about 5 people with about 7% control each?   And then insinuate that we want centralization?  ::)

+5%

Well said! Make absolute sense to me.

Offline GaltReport

If I wanted to act as a delegate to support Bitshares X what are the basic steps I need to take?  Setup/maintain reliable server(s)?  register as a delegate?  ask for votes? something like that?  Do I need a certain amount of BTSX in my wallet or any other requirements like that?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:15:14 pm by GaltReport »

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I would guess that it is probably quite a bit better than early participation by any novel POW chain.

It will get sorted out.  The guys who are willing to do sneaky things to get elected will be sussed out.  Some of have been to busy to pursue delegates at the moment.

Also the sneaky guys are likely to run multiple delegates at once.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Ggozzo