Author Topic: Voting does NOT suck!  (Read 2310 times)

Offline 8bit

• View Profile
Even better would be some kind of HTML code link that could be added to websites or forums that works a lot like the Facebook thumbs up.

We have support for it in the client already!
We just can't do it in the forum because the SMF software always prepends "http://" to the links and the mod that is supposed to fix it was last updated in 2008... We'll ask someone else to figure this out

Try putting this on an external page:

<a href="btsx://daslab/approve">Approve me!</a>

Approve me on the forums!

The syntax is:

Code: [Select]
[url=http://the8thbit.github.io/bitshares.html?name=NAMEt&action=ACTION]TEXT[/url]

With the stuff in caps replaced with whatever you want. So for example, this is how I did the one above:

[url=http://the8thbit.github.io/bitshares.html?name=eightbit&action=approve]Approve me on the forums![/url]
I don't know if this actually works or not as I only use the tty wallet, however, it does redirect your browser to the correct URL.

Also, I second the idea of a forum dedicated to delegate campaigning and open discussions with/between delegates.

EDIT: Nevermind, that board already exists.

Let me just say you guys are doing an amazing job. I tend to try to push things with outside the box thinking and many view it as criticism, it is not. I'm thinking about improvements. That doesn't mean I'm not appreciating the current system. But when I see an opportunity for improvement I can't help but try to explore it.

Hm, my block production also says false... Am I doing something wrong, is it just because I'm not an active delegate?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 12:32:49 am by 8bit »
wallet_approve_delegate eightbitA VOTE FOR EIGHTBIT IS A VOTE FOR CRUDE DICK ART

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Even better would be some kind of HTML code link that could be added to websites or forums that works a lot like the Facebook thumbs up.

We just can't do it in the forum because the SMF software always prepends "http://" to the links and the mod that is supposed to fix it was last updated in 2008... We'll ask someone else to figure this out

But the voter must have a bitshares client running before he votes on an external page? (Am I missing something?)

It will open the client if he has it closed
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

But the voter must have a bitshares client running before he votes on an external page? (Am I missing something?)

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Let me just say you guys are doing an amazing job. I tend to try to push things with outside the box thinking and many view it as criticism, it is not. I'm thinking about improvements. That doesn't mean I'm not appreciating the current system. But when I see an opportunity for improvement I can't help but try to explore it.

Offline bytemaster

We are working on making that easier.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
This is probably mostly directed at me. I'll admit I was being reactive. First I couldn't get a delegate, then I got one in but I had production off due to the bug. Finally voting is not idiot proof and should be made more obvious for shareholders. The fact that you have to transfer shares of the amount you want to vote with after making selection is confusing and most people were just clicking the thumbs up icon thinking that's enough.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
I'll get on making a tool

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
So I've heard a lot of people complaining lately that they think the current voting structure is not fair. We don't want the "elites" getting to choose who all the delegates are because they happen to have fat stacks of cash. Or maybe we want to see the little guys get a chance to jump in the mix and prove themselves from time to time. Well that is why we have voting in the first place! If 75% of the masses agree that there is a good candidate for being a delegate then no "whale" can do anything about it except try to promote against them a lobby for votes (or in this case votes against) just like everyone else. We could even form parties/groups that believe in a particular set of delegates and the masses that don't want to think about it too much could just vote the same way as their affiliation.

Ultimately if what you want is just to give more people a chance to try to be a delegate then what if we stop trying to say that voting is broken and start giving people a chance to prove themselves? There could be a "delegate proving grounds" test net that is a clone of the current release so that other people could have a chance to show that they are good at producing blocks. Having tons of shares wouldn't matter as much because the shares have no value and you could just ask for some.  Oh wait... That sounds a lot like the test nets that we already have!

OR

We can just live with the fact that voting is voting and just give people a good place to promote themselves. I REALLY THINK THIS WOULD SOLVE ALL THE PROBLEMS. People who deserve to be delegates should be able to explain exactly why they deserve to be a delegate. Not just "plz plz plz vote for me! ;P " The problem is that we need to have 1 place where everyone knows and can easily find, where potential delegates can promote themselves. It really should be a part of the main website for BitShares.org .  And what would be REALLY awesome would be if there could be something as simple as a Facebook thumbs up that the masses could click on if they like what they see. And it would automatically sync up to the thumbs up link in the delegate page of the GUI wallet. Heck it could even set up a transaction of all your BTSX to yourself and ask you to verify that. Even better would be some kind of HTML code link that could be added to websites or forums that works a lot like the Facebook thumbs up.

All people want is a chance. And everyone wants to see the best delegates get the job. So we just need to let people (active delegates or not) get a legitimate chance to prove themselves and I think all these "voting sux!" problems will go away.

Any thoughts?

Good opportunity for somebody to start a business being the AGSexplorer or coinmarketcap of Delegates...

... maybe even Consumer Reports meets Underwriter's Labs.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline bdnoble

• View Profile
    • Home Page

+1
That is really awesome!

Still though I think we need a dedicated section of bitshares.org for delegate promoting.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:13:39 pm by bnoble1206 »
:)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
I think everyone totally agrees with you:

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=5933.msg79522#msg79522

we just need people doing it
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline bdnoble

• View Profile
    • Home Page
So I've heard a lot of people complaining lately that they think the current voting structure is not fair. We don't want the "elites" getting to choose who all the delegates are because they happen to have fat stacks of cash. Or maybe we want to see the little guys get a chance to jump in the mix and prove themselves from time to time. Well that is why we have voting in the first place! If 75% of the masses agree that there is a good candidate for being a delegate then no "whale" can do anything about it except try to promote against them a lobby for votes (or in this case votes against) just like everyone else. We could even form parties/groups that believe in a particular set of delegates and the masses that don't want to think about it too much could just vote the same way as their affiliation.

Ultimately if what you want is just to give more people a chance to try to be a delegate then what if we stop trying to say that voting is broken and start giving people a chance to prove themselves? There could be a "delegate proving grounds" test net that is a clone of the current release so that other people could have a chance to show that they are good at producing blocks. Having tons of shares wouldn't matter as much because the shares have no value and you could just ask for some.  Oh wait... That sounds a lot like the test nets that we already have!

OR

We can just live with the fact that voting is voting and just give people a good place to promote themselves. I REALLY THINK THIS WOULD SOLVE ALL THE PROBLEMS. People who deserve to be delegates should be able to explain exactly why they deserve to be a delegate. Not just "plz plz plz vote for me! ;P " The problem is that we need to have 1 place where everyone knows and can easily find, where potential delegates can promote themselves. It really should be a part of the main website for BitShares.org .  And what would be REALLY awesome would be if there could be something as simple as a Facebook thumbs up that the masses could click on if they like what they see. And it would automatically sync up to the thumbs up link in the delegate page of the GUI wallet. Heck it could even set up a transaction of all your BTSX to yourself and ask you to verify that. Even better would be some kind of HTML code link that could be added to websites or forums that works a lot like the Facebook thumbs up.

All people want is a chance. And everyone wants to see the best delegates get the job. So we just need to let people (active delegates or not) get a legitimate chance to prove themselves and I think all these "voting sux!" problems will go away.

Any thoughts?
:)