Author Topic: Ubuntu BitShares PPA  (Read 9829 times)

merockstar

when you have time, you should reproduce the error you get when you try to compile, and post the steps you took to make it.

Offline th4o

• View Profile
Thank you for your help!

$ sudo apt-get install bit[TAB][TAB]
bitlbee             bitmap-mule         bittornado
bitlbee-common      bitmeter            bittornado-gui
bitlbee-dev         bitpim              bittorrent
bitlbee-libpurple   bitpim-lib          bittorrent-gui
bitlbee-plugin-otr  bitstormlite        bittwist

no bitshares package found  ;)

I tried to compile it from source already, but that did not work.

I´m going to try the windows client until there are some packages available I think  ::)

merockstar

yes I added the repository and updated the packages, but there seems to be no package called "bitsharesx" inside

I just wanted to install and test the client, I don have imported any old wallets for now :)

that's odd. it looks like he hasn't updated to 0.2.3 yet though.

try typing sudo apt-get install bitsh[tab][tab] and see if anything comes up.

you could also try compiling from source
its not as scary as it sounds, but it could throw you alot of errors. which you could then post here and somebody smart can help.

for example I had to symlink my nodejs to node

i found this thread useful too

Offline th4o

• View Profile
yes I added the repository and updated the packages, but there seems to be no package called "bitsharesx" inside

I just wanted to install and test the client, I don have imported any old wallets for now :)

merockstar

$ sudo apt-get install bitsharesx
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.       
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
E: Paket bitsharesx kann nicht gefunden werden.

Package not found :'(

hast du das getan?

Code: [Select]
$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:showard314/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update

vorsichtig sein, die Installation von ppa.

meine Intuition sagt, dieser Kerl ist ehrlich, aber es ist am besten, ein Passwort, die Sie nicht verwenden, für alles andere, und vielleicht eine virtuelle Box und nicht Ihr ganzes Geld hinterlegen, bis Sie den Client für eine lange Zeit verwendet haben, zu verwenden. auch auf eine virtuelle Box

auch ich bin mit Google Translate, bitte entschuldigen Sie meine schlechte Deutsch
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 02:59:27 pm by merockstar »

Offline th4o

• View Profile
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.       
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
E: Paket bitsharesx kann nicht gefunden werden.

Package not found :'(

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
version 0.2.2 is up. Users will get a warning on installation with a link to:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=6116.msg0;topicseen#new
and warning them to back up their wallet (they would have to choose "do not continue with installation" to stop installation and use their old wallet)

I also included a get-orig-sources target to debian/rules, so users can do:
$ ./debian/rules get-orig-source

and rebuild their own sources if you don't trust mine, then you can build with dpkg-buildpackage.

Again, it would be so much easier if there was a self-contained source tarball release that just builds without having to tweak. Once bitshares is out of heavy and active development, perhaps then it can work.
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi
Hello all, to make it easier for people, this is all you need to install bitshares:

$ sudo apt-get update

You will then have a bitshares icon in your application search (dash) or from command line:
$ BitSharesX
all the utilities are installed as well, but if they're not needed I can cut them out for space later.

Service of:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=5938
wallet_approve_delegate maqifrnswa

Please post bugs/problems here. I tested it and it works, but still treat this as testing for a little bit.
u
Can you offer a tool to generate the ppa from source code automatic?
so I3 or DACSunlimited can manage this directly?

The binaries were built by canonical, you can check the sources out with
$ apt-get sources bitsharesx

to see what I used. You can build yourself if you do a "dpkg-buildpackage" in the source tree after apt-getting sources.

I have set up automated build scripts for other projects, unfortunately all the git submodules, nodejs, and lineman stuff makes it harder. I'm definietely offering to help I3 or DACs Unlimited manage their own, that's why I just called it "Bitshares PPA by showard" to make it clear it was just a community contributed PPA.

The easiest thing would be if the repos could build without submodules and without having to generate htdocs. If they then could set up a bzr branch in launchpad that syncs with their github, you can make a daily build recipe - or an "on demand" recipe where they just hit a button on a web interface and it will build.
+5% +5%

Offline bytemaster

I think you would have to work with dacsunlimited to host those binaries....  I agree it would be nice if there were an easier process.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
Hello all, to make it easier for people, this is all you need to install bitshares:

$ sudo apt-get update

You will then have a bitshares icon in your application search (dash) or from command line:
$ BitSharesX
all the utilities are installed as well, but if they're not needed I can cut them out for space later.

Service of:

Please post bugs/problems here. I tested it and it works, but still treat this as testing for a little bit.
u

The binaries were built by canonical, you can check the sources out with
$ apt-get sources bitsharesx

to see what I used. You can build yourself if you do a "dpkg-buildpackage" in the source tree after apt-getting sources.

I have set up automated build scripts for other projects, unfortunately all the git submodules, nodejs, and lineman stuff makes it harder. I'm definietely offering to help I3 or DACs Unlimited manage their own, that's why I just called it "Bitshares PPA by showard" to make it clear it was just a community contributed PPA.

The easiest thing would be if the repos could build without submodules and without having to generate htdocs. If they then could set up a bzr branch in launchpad that syncs with their github, you can make a daily build recipe - or an "on demand" recipe where they just hit a button on a web interface and it will build.
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi

$ sudo apt-get update

$ BitSharesX

Service of:

u

Offline bytemaster

yay thank you!

this requires trust right? is it possible for BM or toast to take a gander at it and make sure it's okay?

either way i'll be giving it a shot.

All binaries require trust and there is nothing I can do to verify it.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

merockstar

yay thank you!

this requires trust right? is it possible for BM or toast to take a gander at it and make sure it's okay?

either way i'll be giving it a shot.

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile

$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:showard314/bitshares
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install bitshares

If you want the command line interface only (CLI, e.g. if you are running a headless server):
$ sudo apt-get install bitshares-cliinstead of
$ sudo apt-get install bitshares
$ BitSharesand/or the CLI:
$ bitshares_client

Service of:
15% delegate: wallet_approve_delegate maqifrnswa
50% delegate: wallet_approve_delegate delegate1.maqifrnswa
(I have two since we're not allowed to raise payrates to remain competitive in the market, which I mistakenly did not know when I made the first one)

Please post bugs/problems here.

Note:
Since there are no such thing as "official" binaries any more [1], the PPA is as official as you can get. They were uploaded by a delegate, the source code used to build the packages is signed with a GPG key in the debian-keyring and is inspectable on the launchpad site. The binaries built from the GPG code are signed by with the PPA key and will be verified by apt when you download and install. This is the same system bitcoin uses for distribution, as well as mozilla, libreoffice, wine, and several others.

[1] https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=7067.msg148186#msg148186
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 02:12:02 pm by maqifrnswa »