Author Topic: Total number of shares  (Read 2691 times)

Offline bdnoble

• View Profile
    • Home Page

There was never a promise of 5% dividends on shares.
There was originally a plan to pay 5% *interest* on *BitAssets*.

There's no way you could possibly "promise" a 5% return from the DAC itself.

Oh okay. That was the key thing I was missing. I get it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:)

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
Is that part of the market functionality that will come later? I thought I remember hearing that somewhere.

New shares are not created, the market function allows you to issue different TYPES of shares and trade among them.

So I know there isn't any guarantee of 5% dividends but 5% has been mentioned. So is it okay that 5% of the supply is destroyed every year with no increase ever? I really don't know that much about economics. If the supply gets too low in 30 years would it require a stock split or something like that?
Obviously the burn rate will be increasing as transactions increase.

5% of 2 billion is a larger amount than 5% of 1billion. The amount (5%) keeps getting smaller as the float decreases. You could subtract 5% infinite number of times, theoretically.  At least until you get near the lowest divisible unit of BTSX.

There was some discussion of this at one point, and bytemaster seemed to say that it wouldn't be hard to do something like a stock split, where you increase both the supply and everybody's balance by 10x simultaneously.

But yeah, btsx has like 14 orders of magnitude of precision so it would take a while to burn the supply so low that it would matter.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
There was never a promise of 5% dividends on shares.
There was originally a plan to pay 5% *interest* on *BitAssets*.

There's no way you could possibly "promise" a 5% return from the DAC itself.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Ggozzo

Is that part of the market functionality that will come later? I thought I remember hearing that somewhere.

New shares are not created, the market function allows you to issue different TYPES of shares and trade among them.

So I know there isn't any guarantee of 5% dividends but 5% has been mentioned. So is it okay that 5% of the supply is destroyed every year with no increase ever? I really don't know that much about economics. If the supply gets too low in 30 years would it require a stock split or something like that?

5% of 2 billion is a larger amount than 5% of 1billion. The amount (5%) keeps getting smaller as the float decreases. You could subtract 5% infinite number of times, theoretically.  At least until you get near the lowest divisible unit of BTSX.

Offline bdnoble

• View Profile
    • Home Page

Offline Riverhead

I had similar concerns until, as you said, I did the math.  At the current burn rate of 2200 shares/day it will take 250 years to destroy 10% of the supply.  So even if the burn rate increases by a factor of 10 we'll still have 90% of BTSX shares left after 25 years.

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bdnoble

• View Profile
    • Home Page

Offline bytemaster

So every delegate that doesn't have 100% pay rate destroys some BTSX. Is there anything that ever creates it back? I realize that with 2B shares and at the current rate of destruction it will be a long time before it matters at all, but I was just wondering.

Nothing creates new shares in this version.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bdnoble

• View Profile
    • Home Page
So every delegate that doesn't have 100% pay rate destroys some BTSX. Is there anything that ever creates it back? I realize that with 2B shares and at the current rate of destruction it will be a long time before it matters at all, but I was just wondering.