Author Topic: Has the Matrix changed or is it just me?  (Read 2974 times)

Offline GaltReport

Ever since upgrading to 0.2.3 everything works worse for me.  Wallet has issues registering accounts, transferring to myself and my delegate has started dropping blocks. 

I noticed a spike in my delegate cpu sometime after midnight last night, was also near the time my bter transfer of yesterday went through, which also killed my ability to transfer today.

Something seems odd to me....
It must be me then!

I didn't uninstall the old windows wallet when I upgraded, wondering if I should have done that?

I have multiple unregistered accounts that I can't register.  I get an error saying, "Unknown account".

Might have found the problem.  I see that the accounts I get errors on registering both end in .com

It let me create local accounts that end in .com but I think it can't register them.  Can someone confirm that?  Seems like a bug if it let's you create them with a .com but not register them.

It is not recommended to run delegate nodes using the GUI. It is untested and unsupported.

In addition, any wallet with block production enabled will by default not scan transactions, so you will not see any deposits you may receive.

Account names use the dot to signify child accounts. E.g. to register 'galt.com' you must also control the private key for 'com'.

Thanks but I am not running my delegate using a GUI or even storing any funds in it so no problems there. I'm just wondering what the performance needs of a delegate are now and over-time??

I don't really have any need for .com names, just kinda playing around so it's not a problem.  Maybe a better error message would help though.

Offline vikram

Ever since upgrading to 0.2.3 everything works worse for me.  Wallet has issues registering accounts, transferring to myself and my delegate has started dropping blocks. 

I noticed a spike in my delegate cpu sometime after midnight last night, was also near the time my bter transfer of yesterday went through, which also killed my ability to transfer today.

It must be me then!

I didn't uninstall the old windows wallet when I upgraded, wondering if I should have done that?

I have multiple unregistered accounts that I can't register.  I get an error saying, "Unknown account".

Might have found the problem.  I see that the accounts I get errors on registering both end in .com

It let me create local accounts that end in .com but I think it can't register them.  Can someone confirm that?  Seems like a bug if it let's you create them with a .com but not register them.

It is not recommended to run delegate nodes using the GUI. It is untested and unsupported.

In addition, any wallet with block production enabled will by default not scan transactions, so you will not see any deposits you may receive.

Account names use the dot to signify child accounts. E.g. to register 'galt.com' you must also control the private key for 'com'.

Offline GaltReport

Running a delegate is a delicate experience. I gave up on the idea. When you run a delegate, your own transactions didn't work very well, unless you stop producing blocks, rescan and then restart producing. May be they fixed some of these issues, I don't know. All I know is that I would definitely not recommend running a delegate while doing your own transactions.
You are not supposed to use your client where the delegate is running, as normal user. You should consider running separate client instance with your desired wallet(s) and send/receive/check balance/etc using the client's instance. Even better - use entirely different device for user actions.

On the topic: I saw no performance degradation on 0.2.3 . However the spikes might be related to the size of the blocks that need to be processed. Usually there are no transactions at all (hope this changes), but sometimes delegates need to verify blocks full of transactions which might increase CPU usage. I haven't seen spikes with more than 15% CPU usages but this doesn't prove anything. The overall CPU time for the client is unchanged between 0.2.1 and 0.2.3 (I dont have enough statistics for 0.2.2 as it was quick upgrade).

On a related topic, what is really the spec that affects reliability?  Is it network bandwidth, memory, cpu?  I'm guessing network is more critical?

Offline GaltReport

Dot is used for child name.  If you want to register g.com, you need to have com registered first.  Once it's registered , g.com is com's child account.  Local account is not registered on the blockchain,  therefore you can name it anything you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay,that explains it but it would be good to have a way to avoid the situation someway or a better error message maybe.

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
Running a delegate is a delicate experience. I gave up on the idea. When you run a delegate, your own transactions didn't work very well, unless you stop producing blocks, rescan and then restart producing. May be they fixed some of these issues, I don't know. All I know is that I would definitely not recommend running a delegate while doing your own transactions.
You are not supposed to use your client where the delegate is running, as normal user. You should consider running separate client instance with your desired wallet(s) and send/receive/check balance/etc using the client's instance. Even better - use entirely different device for user actions.

On the topic: I saw no performance degradation on 0.2.3 . However the spikes might be related to the size of the blocks that need to be processed. Usually there are no transactions at all (hope this changes), but sometimes delegates need to verify blocks full of transactions which might increase CPU usage. I haven't seen spikes with more than 15% CPU usages but this doesn't prove anything. The overall CPU time for the client is unchanged between 0.2.1 and 0.2.3 (I dont have enough statistics for 0.2.2 as it was quick upgrade).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 07:27:21 am by emski »

Offline boombastic

• View Profile
    • AngelShares Explorer
Dot is used for child name.  If you want to register g.com, you need to have com registered first.  Once it's registered , g.com is com's child account.  Local account is not registered on the blockchain,  therefore you can name it anything you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://bitshares.dacplay.org/r/boombastic
Support My Witness: mr.agsexplorer
BTC: 1Bb6V1UStz45QMAamjaX8rDjsnQnBpHvE8

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile

Offline GaltReport

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 05:11:59 am by GaltReport »

Offline GaltReport

It must be me then!

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 04:26:13 am by GaltReport »

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
0.2.3 is working great for me.   I haven't missed a block since upgrading.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

merockstar

I finally got it compiled after having missed out on the other versions.

I AM BLOWN AWAY.

Transactions are so fast.

somebody can send me money using only my first name. or my forum name.

this is amazing. now that i've gotten to play with the software and see how it works i'm so much more bullish.

Offline GaltReport