Author Topic: Cold storage?  (Read 9551 times)

Offline Riverhead

You can also create an account as a parameter of wallet_import_private_key. This may get around the registration issue.

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
I was just able to retrieve from cold storage.  One thing I would recommend to speed things up as you are trouble shooting is just scanning the transactions that the transfers are in rather than the entire chain.  My transaction was in block 311671 so I did a wallet_rescan_blockchain 311670 2 (since I'm not sure if it scans the block of or the next in line.  That would be useful information if anyone in the know can provide it.)

Other than that I'm pretty sure its just a matter of the public key being registered on the blockchain as a contact account before you import the private key.  You could a) create local contact account. >> transfer to it. >> register it >> import private key >> rescan transaction blocks >> profit
or b) create local contact account >> register it >> transfer to it >>  Import private key >>  rescan transaction blocks >> profit

P.S. I am really really tired right now.  If I am wrong or am just being stupid please let me know.

So what you are saying is the reason it didn't work for me was because I haven't registered the local account.

Is there a reason for that restriction, if that is the case?

I am not exactly sure.  The reason I think that is the case is because of something that happened to me a while back when I was playing with my demo wallet private key. 

I was resyncing the blockchain, and I had the bright idea to import the private key of my demo wallet into my personal wallet.  I was at a point in the blockchain prior to the registration time of my demo wallet so it threw an error when I tried to import it.  So being the smart guy that I am I created an account called demo-wallet, imported demo-wallets private key, and then watched demo wallet magically go from unregistered to registered as my client caught up that point in the blockchain. 

Problem was that even when fully synced there was no balance.  I still had the account open on my demo wallet so I could see that was wrong.  But it got weirder.  When I tried to send from my personal wallet to demo wallet it would send it locally to the franken demo wallet that didn't have any funds in it.  Those new funds would show up, but I was unable to send to the demo-wallet that was registered on the blockchain.  My local account was blocking it.  Even worse I couldn't rename the local account because it was a registered account.

Someone that understands titan better than I do will have to explain why this happened to me, and it might be totally unrelated.  It seems similar to the issue you are having though.  I would try on another wallet to create contact account.  register contact account.  import priv key, and rescan.  Funds should still be there.

***edit*** scratch that.  If that public key isn't registered.  I would just register it as a contact account on the same wallet, and then import priv key and rescan.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:34:58 am by puppies »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
I was just able to retrieve from cold storage.  One thing I would recommend to speed things up as you are trouble shooting is just scanning the transactions that the transfers are in rather than the entire chain.  My transaction was in block 311671 so I did a wallet_rescan_blockchain 311670 2 (since I'm not sure if it scans the block of or the next in line.  That would be useful information if anyone in the know can provide it.)

Other than that I'm pretty sure its just a matter of the public key being registered on the blockchain as a contact account before you import the private key.  You could a) create local contact account. >> transfer to it. >> register it >> import private key >> rescan transaction blocks >> profit
or b) create local contact account >> register it >> transfer to it >>  Import private key >>  rescan transaction blocks >> profit

P.S. I am really really tired right now.  If I am wrong or am just being stupid please let me know.

So what you are saying is the reason it didn't work for me was because I haven't registered the local account.

Is there a reason for that restriction, if that is the case?

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
AFAIK - if you don't register your account, you have to note/write down your public keys for every unregistered acct. for later restore purposes ... (pls correct if i'm wrong)

You are missing the point.

What I did was

1. Generate public BTSX address using the utility.
2. Send 2 BTSX to that addres
3. [problem] importing the private key for that address works, but there is no balance, whatsoever when I run wallet_account_balance.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
AFAIK - if you don't register your account, you have to note/write down your public keys for every unregistered acct. for later restore purposes ... (pls correct if i'm wrong)
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Well after rescan, the balance from the cold storage is still not available. Does the account need to be registered before it can import a private key or something?
registering is highly recommended ..

Does your the public key that corresponds to your private key also correspond to the public key of the local account you sent the funds to?

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Well after rescan, the balance from the cold storage is still not available. Does the account need to be registered before it can import a private key or something?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I'll wait to make sure it's finished, and will report back here. May be even update the Wiki. (Not sure if I need to be an editor or what there)
Good idea, .. will do so when I have the time ..

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Silly me, I suppose the entire blockchain needs to be scanned for the balance...

I just did "info" and I noticed this:

"wallet_scan_progress": "30.26 %",

I'll wait to make sure it's finished, and will report back here. May be even update the Wiki. (Not sure if I need to be an editor or what there)

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Give it a try:
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/ColdStorage

I generated a key using the command line utility.

I then transferred 2 BTSX to that address.

Now trying to restore it following your instructions, however wallet_resync_blockchain is no longer a valid command.

I did try rescan. In any case, let's work on making this process more robust. I'm here to experiment if you want me to.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline missing64001

• View Profile
We will be producing a cold storage guide this week.
how to vote form a cold storage offline?

You can't.
I wish, safe and vote are resolved in the future,or coin in the cold storage offline is unnecessary to vote for no trade.

Offline bytemaster

You can't. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline missing64001

• View Profile