Author Topic: Motivating people to vote  (Read 1486 times)

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline GaltReport

Another idea, "force vote" button that automatically sends all your funds back to yourself.

+5% +5% +5%

PS and when you press the button a windows message should appear that says something like:

"You have successfully voted for X delegates
delegate 1, delegate2 ....,... etc.

Thank you for making the network more secure !!!
You can change your votes whenever you want or vote for additionall
delegates up to 101. If you would find helpfull some recommendations for the most trusted delegates be comfortable to check some popular slate id's
that will give you some extra BTSX bonus(?)..."  :)

These are all great ideas!
 +5% +5% +5%

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Another idea, "force vote" button that automatically sends all your funds back to yourself.

+5% +5% +5%

PS and when you press the button a windows message should appear that says something like:

"You have successfully voted for X delegates
delegate 1, delegate2 ....,... etc.

Thank you for making the network more secure !!!
You can change your votes whenever you want or vote for additionall
delegates up to 101. If you would find helpfull some recommendations for the most trusted delegates be comfortable to check some popular slate id's
that will give you some extra BTSX bonus(?)..."  :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 01:41:59 pm by liondani »

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
It seems there may be a problem motivating people to vote. For people who want to be conscientious with their selection of delegates a lot of time and effort needs to be invested. Ideally they would invest this time and effort, but it's not easy and people are lazy/strapped for time.

I have the beginnings of an idea. I don't know whether or not this has any merit.

It's easy to vote based solely on the technical aspects of a delegate's role, which is predominantly the processing of transactions correctly and efficiently. Should (and could) we separate this role from the more complicated role of "spending" the fees?

Could we have two sets of delegates?
  • One set of "processor" delegates just for processing transactions
  • A second set of "spending" delegates responsible for "spending" the transaction fees

The "processor" delegates would state the percentage of fees they require to be paid for the service they provide. The remaining percentage of the transaction fees would automatically be sent to the "spending delegates" or perhaps a "spending pot" (is this possible?). It would be easy for people to vote for "processor" delegates based on how expensive they are and on their performance.

There would be a pool of "spending delegates" each of which would have to produce a manifesto. This states how they propose to spend the fees which remain after the "processor delegates" have taken their pay. We would also vote on the "spending delegates", perhaps using the idea proposed elsewhere regarding voting "slates".

I was going to type more and to proof read this, but I've got to go. Are there any useful ideas here? Implementation could be a problem, but perhaps delegates would be better optimized with the split roles, and the crucial area of voting to maintain the network would be easier.

Edit:

Coming back to this after three months to add a bit more which I wanted to say originally.

Essentially, If people had to vote on "processor delegates" and "spending delegates" separately, it could really improve people's willingness to vote. At least everyone could vote on processor delegates easily, based only on performance and pay rates. This could even be automated.
People could then take their time researching which delegates to vote for regarding the "spending delegates", who are there to enhance profitability and grow the ecosystem.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 12:37:15 pm by hadrian »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads