Author Topic: USD, BTC, GLD price feeds....  (Read 6084 times)

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Have you decided on what the reward for this bounty is?

Offline bytemaster

Hello, I am new here. I have just discovered BitShares a few hours ago, read a few of the wiki pages and BitShares seems to have some interesting ideas. Because I am soo new I may not be understanding the request completely, but have described what I could provide below.

What I could provide is a data visualization of the correlation and/or cointegration between two different time series over an n period moving window. The data visualization could be in either PNG, SVG or PDF format. Just the data could also be provided in JSON or CSV format to be used for constructing trade logic. This could be done using a simple HTTP/HTTPS RPC or API call. The caller would supply the trade pair, n period moving window and what time resolution to use (eg. 5 minute, 1 hour, etc). The service would respond with either an image format or data depending on the suffix of the requested file (eg. .png, .svg, .json, etc).

I would like to implement this service as a way to get involved in the BitShares platform.

I just need to know how we could get started with this?

that sounds great but a little overkill for what bytemaster is asking. Basically the market can be bootstrapped if delegates inform the market as to what a "fair" price is. One could go to different exchanges and type the command in themselves based on what they saw on the website, or someone can use a python script to scrape the web (like you're doing) and then the script can submit the following commands to the bitshares client:

wallet_publish_price_feed ${DELEGATE} ${PRICE} USD
wallet_publish_price_feed ${DELEGATE} ${PRICE} GLD
wallet_publish_price_feed ${DELEGATE} ${PRICE} BTC

It's pretty simple, just will take some time to get it working right. You can then set up a cron job to keep it up to date.

so, he's looking for a simple python script:
1) scrape websites/grab json feeds/do whatever you need to do to get an accurate price quote at this moment (no history required)
2) send an RPC command with that information to a running bitshares client

Other requirements:   It should only run once per day or when the price changes by more than 10%.  It should never publish bogus data, so should probably have some redundant checks.   
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
Hello, I am new here. I have just discovered BitShares a few hours ago, read a few of the wiki pages and BitShares seems to have some interesting ideas. Because I am soo new I may not be understanding the request completely, but have described what I could provide below.

What I could provide is a data visualization of the correlation and/or cointegration between two different time series over an n period moving window. The data visualization could be in either PNG, SVG or PDF format. Just the data could also be provided in JSON or CSV format to be used for constructing trade logic. This could be done using a simple HTTP/HTTPS RPC or API call. The caller would supply the trade pair, n period moving window and what time resolution to use (eg. 5 minute, 1 hour, etc). The service would respond with either an image format or data depending on the suffix of the requested file (eg. .png, .svg, .json, etc).

I would like to implement this service as a way to get involved in the BitShares platform.

that sounds great but a little overkill for what bytemaster is asking. Basically the market can be bootstrapped if delegates inform the market as to what a "fair" price is. One could go to different exchanges and type the command in themselves based on what they saw on the website, or someone can use a python script to scrape the web (like you're doing) and then the script can submit the following commands to the bitshares client:

It's pretty simple, just will take some time to get it working right. You can then set up a cron job to keep it up to date.

so, he's looking for a simple python script:
1) scrape websites/grab json feeds/do whatever you need to do to get an accurate price quote at this moment (no history required)
2) send an RPC command with that information to a running bitshares client
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline AEcharts

• View Profile

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
I'm offering to fully develop and maintain this important component until launch for 500K BTSX total (~7BTC).
Naturally others will offer to do it for way less, but I offer top quality and maintenance. It is also not worth my time for less than that I wish it was.

I would also recommend that various other pieces are included such as liquidity and spread at volume X.

e.g. if buying 50K BTSX for 0.7BTC is possible as per the order book, buying 1M BTSX for 14BTC may not be, this may actually cost 20BTC.
Also the median price for the order book at that volume may be different than the center of the spread.

UPDATE: e.g. look at bitcoinwisdom orderbook chart:

Notice how the median price is going up if you take into account the volume in the order book.

Can you post some of your code somewhere so we can have a look at it? I've been thinking along the same direction recently.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:47:14 pm by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
I'm offering to fully develop and maintain this important component until launch for 500K BTSX total (~7BTC).
Naturally others will offer to do it for way less, but I offer top quality and maintenance. It is also not worth my time for less than that I wish it was.

I would also recommend that various other pieces are included such as liquidity and spread at volume X.

e.g. if buying 50K BTSX for 0.7BTC is possible as per the order book, buying 1M BTSX for 14BTC may not be, this may actually cost 20BTC.
Also the median price for the order book at that volume may be different than the center of the spread.

UPDATE: e.g. look at bitcoinwisdom orderbook chart:

Notice how the median price is going up if you take into account the volume in the order book.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:27:51 pm by happypatty »

Offline bytemaster

As it turns out I have already written some code very close to your ask. Only have BTC/USD (sourced from coinbase/bitstamp API) and BTC/BTSX from BTER for the moment.

If you point me to free public feeds with GLD I can incorporate that as well.

Also, already have done integration to the wallet with the RPCJSON (I posted it in another thread)

---

Any terms on the bounty itself?

I am accepting proposals on what people think is fair.  Just need something opensource and easy to use.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
This claims to have free anonymous calls up to 50 times/day.

Not sure it's worth the effort but for documenting purposes:

http://www.quandl.com/help/api

UPDATE: more specifically Historical Bundesbank here:

http://www.quandl.com/api/v1/datasets/BUNDESBANK/BBK01_WT5511.json?trim_start=1968-04-01&trim_end=2014-07-25

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:05:42 am by happypatty »

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
As it turns out I have already written some code very close to your ask. Only have BTC/USD (sourced from coinbase/bitstamp API) and BTC/BTSX from BTER for the moment.

If you point me to free public feeds with GLD I can incorporate that as well.

Also, already have done integration to the wallet with the RPCJSON (I posted it in another thread)

---

Any terms on the bounty itself?

Offline bytemaster

Can someone put together a python script that will fetch the BTC, USD, and GLD price of BTSX and then generate an RPC call to publish that feed. 

Ideally the data would be from as many different sources as possible.

The RPC call that you will want to call is:

Where ${PRICE} is USD PER BTSX