Author Topic: can we take the names from btsx to the new chains?  (Read 1750 times)

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
I really dislike the snapshot method as a solution to this unique name problem. It doesn't really solve the issue. Anyone who wants to create a new name after a snapshot (either an existing user creating a new alias, or a new user entering the BitShares ecosystem for the first time) has to try to pick a name that they can get on every single DAC currently in existence. What if, for example, I am in the process of registering a new, unique name, first on BitShares X, then on BitShares Namespaces/DNS/.p2p, and finally on BitShares Music, but by the time I reach BitShares Music I find that coincidentally someone else already took that name. How do we deal with such race conditions? Simply give up on that name and try another? And if you weren't able to get the same name on every DAC how is someone supposed to communicate their unified identity across all DACs. Do they list all of their different names for each DAC on their business card?

I have some ideas on how to solve this issue. I was going to write it here but it ended up being longer than I expected, so I created a new topic. You can read it at https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=6434.msg85560#msg85560.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 02:36:37 am by arhag »

Offline profitofthegods

• View Profile
BM once stated that all chaines that snapshot BTSX balances should also snapshot the registered names ..
I guess that will be best-practice

however, chains that do not snapshot btsx but PTS/AGS may not neccesarily do so .. that's why keyhotee founders have an advantage

So future DACs may take 'snapshots' from BTSX rather than PTS? So what will determine which one is used and what is the point of PTS if BTSX is being used for this.

This is one of the things that's really confusing and offputting to newcomers, and I think makes much more difference in adoption than lack of marketing - there is all these different things and no clear indiciation what they are and what you get from them. It makes it hard to trust anything. It seems like all marketing to to an outsider - bunch of buzzwords and underneath you are left suspecting that they are just new ways to screw money out of people. I already got that impression just from AGS - because first I looked and saw that you buy PTS to get a share in new DACS (back in January when I first wanted to buy, but couldn't figure out how to get a working wallet), then I start seeing you should buy AGS to get it, now I'm seeing that neither of those may get you anything.

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
BM once stated that all chaines that snapshot BTSX balances should also snapshot the registered names ..

however, chains that do not snapshot btsx but PTS/AGS may not neccesarily do so .. that's why keyhotee founders have an advantage

it would be great that there will be a solution for PTS/AGS snapshots as well...
it is crucial security wise!

You have a good point. There will be a whole host of DACs with different people on different chains holding the same account name. It's only a matter of time before someone makes a HUGE mistake with a transaction. Given that there will be some serious financial tools implemented all under the same umbrella, this is very undesirable. If we were going to enable people to keep the same account name across DACs we'd need to think of a seriously good way to compensate Keyhotee founders.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

it would be great that there will be a solution for PTS/AGS snapshots as well...
it is crucial security wise!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
i would like to know if you are working at a solution, that no one can take as an example

btsx : shentist

in the upcoming bitshares chains?

if not, i think it will really going a big problem then more known people like toast etc. got already this problem. so in a worst case scenario i would have different name in all bitshares chains.