Author Topic: Pic comparing DPOS to other DACs anywhere? POW, POS, etc.  (Read 2939 times)

Offline cob

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cobb
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Agree with the first.

As the criteria is network security cost and XCP and MSC are based on the Bitcoin network the cost for the security of MSC and XCP is tx fees + block reward.

but this is almost never the case.
This is because POW is not efficient enough to guarantee security without dilution when the market cap is high. Se the reason for dilution is that POW is less efficient not POW per se. 

Offline gamey

• View Profile
All regarding: Network Security Costs:
- = in general always what is paid to those securing the network
- Bitshares: on average ~ 10% of tx fees (because the rest is destroyed)

I don't think it is anywhere near 10%.  Currently delegates make like $20-$30 a month and the average burn rate isn't anywhere near 90%.  I think it is best to keep it vague as it will change.

- With Ripple I'd say: low (server administration for a hand full of servers)
- For MSC / XCP: netw. sec. costs are not tx fees but tx fees + block reward (~10% of BTC money supply per year).

How is block reward cost carried by MSC/XCP ?  block reward inflates the currency they pay the fee in, so it actually lowers the cost ?  The 10% cost is what is current for BTC.

This "BitShares is a 100% proof-of-stake system. This means all the shares are pre-allocated and there is no need for the dilution of one's stake.
" I would say is not correct as dilution does not necessarily follow from POW.

I don't know if it needs to follow.  Yes, POW can exist solely off transaction of fees, but this is almost never the case.

If there is no dissent I will edit it.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Well it has been changed.  I am not entirely sure.  There seems to be some varying opinions on this.  Feedback is welcome as usual.

http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Why_choose_Bitshares%3F#Comparison_of_BitShares_to_Other_Platforms
All regarding: Network Security Costs:
- = in general always what is paid to those securing the network
- Bitshares: on average ~ 10% of tx fees (because the rest is destroyed)
- With Ripple I'd say: low (server administration for a hand full of servers)
- For MSC / XCP: netw. sec. costs are not tx fees but tx fees + block reward (~10% of BTC money supply per year).

I am pretty sure that money supply with MSC and XCP is fixed.

"Cross-Chain Trading Support" isnt implemented yet and is as easy to implement for Bitshares as for anyone.

NXT didnt implement Transparent forging yet.

This "BitShares is a 100% proof-of-stake system. This means all the shares are pre-allocated and there is no need for the dilution of one's stake.
" I would say is not correct as dilution does not necessarily follow from POW.

The cost of securing the network is merely a fraction of all transaction fees accumulated by the network. Transaction fees are destroyed, which acts as an implicit payment to holders of BitShares and makes BitShares truly deflationary.
~ 10% is not a fraction ~

If there is no dissent I will edit it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:01:23 pm by delulo »

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Well it has been changed.  I am not entirely sure.  There seems to be some varying opinions on this.  Feedback is welcome as usual.

http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Why_choose_Bitshares%3F#Comparison_of_BitShares_to_Other_Platforms

Oops, I copied the image from a thread in marketing, I didn't know how to copy it off the current page, I skimmed it briefly but didn't notice the differences.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:43:19 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline jwiz168

• View Profile
Big news coming up in the BitShares Music world.

+5%

So we will hear sweet tunes....

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Yes, good catch.  I would like to see if anyone has a good reason that is zero ?

Apparently mastercoin and XCP people also complained that their coins are not inflated.  I guess I should take their word on it and fix it.

It makes sense, since they were issued.  It doesn't make sense there would be a 1:1 ratio with bitcoin.  THey use bitcoin network for security, so they don't need to inflate the supply for security.
+5%

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Yes, good catch.  I would like to see if anyone has a good reason that is zero ?

Apparently mastercoin and XCP people also complained that their coins are not inflated.  I guess I should take their word on it and fix it.

It makes sense, since they were issued.  It doesn't make sense there would be a 1:1 ratio with bitcoin.  THey use bitcoin network for security, so they don't need to inflate the supply for security. 

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
btw "network security costs" = zero ?!?

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile

+5%  :)

http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Why_choose_Bitshares%3F is quite good.

The table in the link also gives quite a good comparison for people that don't understand these things too well.

Edit: Removed table image, which has since been updated, one at the link is correct.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:44:38 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline cob

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cobb
Hey everyone.

Is there a pic anywhere that clearly and visually show the advantages of DPOS over other blockchains?

Also, is there an article somewhere that describes the awesomeness that is DPOS? or BitShares X?

Thanks! I want to link this to our upcoming site.

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.