Author Topic: Dry Run 14 - The Next Generation ($200 BitUSD bounty)  (Read 21293 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
What about a
 "dry run"
feature for our own orders .. so that you can see (simulated locally) which orders get matched and which do not and what the outcome will be

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
I wanted to sell XTS for BTC but instead sold for USD. The market took my money because I bought 1.9 USD for 100,000 XTS. The Gui should probably warn the user of a bad trade like that and offer the best obtainable trade to execute.

Our market is very accommodating that way. It gladly takes all the money one throws its way... :)

In the interest of consumer protection the wallet will now warn you if your bid 5% above / below the lowest ask / highest bid.
+5

The next step is 'smart orders' in the GUI wallet- you know like the one asked for here by xeroc: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=6837.msg91778#msg91778

Is this coming soon?

[edit] It would be nice to use the chat instead of filling this thread  with stuff like that!

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:03:44 pm by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
I'm guessing post launch there'll be a thread (or 50) on requested enhancements. Is there already a "Safe Mode" planned, like check-box style, where you can corral the client into preventing you from doing really stupid things? Your 5% rule below is a good one, I'm sure there are others. Or maybe this is a chance for someone else to market a third party GUI.

Don't do a third party GUI. Just improve on this one. You can implement tabs for example.

It's all open source and correct me if I'm wrong but it's using QT right? But in order to perfect the GUI there has to be some feedback to figure out what users want so features can be prioritized. I think anything which gives the user more flexibility and control is a good thing.

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Riverhead

I'm guessing post launch there'll be a thread (or 50) on requested enhancements. Is there already a "Safe Mode" planned, like check-box style, where you can corral the client into preventing you from doing really stupid things? Your 5% rule below is a good one, I'm sure there are others. Or maybe this is a chance for someone else to market a third party GUI.

Offline Riverhead

I wanted to sell XTS for BTC but instead sold for USD. The market took my money because I bought 1.9 USD for 100,000 XTS. The Gui should probably warn the user of a bad trade like that and offer the best obtainable trade to execute.

Our market is very accommodating that way. It gladly takes all the money one throws its way... :)

In the interest of consumer protection the wallet will now warn you if your bid 5% above / below the lowest ask / highest bid.
+5% +5% +5% +5%  I would be the first to lose all my money with a dump trade at 3AM.

Also in the GUI you get one market per screen.  So if you wanted to do XTS for BTC you'd be on that market's screen.

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

clout

I attempted to sell 100,000 XTS for some BTC at 0.000019. A small portion of my order was executed and the rest I guess was left pending. There is a bid that satisfies my order, however, even after several minutes the order was not executed.  How long should it take for an order to be matched. I have traded XTS, USD, BTC and GEM and did not have any issues until now.

I'm still missing 100,000 XTS... where should I be looking to see that my funds did not disappear? I have no pending orders for the transaction.

Code: [Select]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|2014-08-14T01:10:02 1233      ASK-L4zbTz29        MARKET              100,000.00000 XTS       fill ask @ 0.000019 USD / XTS               0.00000 XTS         [8b4c8a]|
|                              ASK-L4zbTz29        malcolmjmr          1.9000 USD              ask proceeds @ 0.000019 USD / XTS                                       |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not understand what you are describing. Can you state the sequence of steps you took along with the account transaction history and balance?

I'm dumb. I wanted to sell XTS for BTC but instead sold for USD. The market took my money because I bought 1.9 USD for 100,000 XTS. The Gui should probably warn the user of a bad trade like that and offer the best obtainable trade to execute.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I am of the opinion that we need to minimize our reliance on price feeds because it gives the delegates too much power to really screw with the system.

I think we will only use them to "start" the market. 

Once started it immediately switches to 24 hour weighted average and the feeds are no longer required.
+5%

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
General restrictions:
1) If you partially cover you don't get your collateral back until you fully cover.
2) If you opt to cover using your collateral by increasing your call price you end up accepting market price (highest bids)
3) You cannot partially cover using your collateral, it is an all or nothing deal.

Reasons of these restrictions are primarily the complexity of yet another order type with different matching rules where the complexity grows with N^2 the number of order types we must support.   Right now we have a 2x2 matrix of possible pairings between bid/short/ask/cover and adding "ask_with_collateral" to the mix would take us from 4 cases to 9 cases to consider (test and debug).    Something that I don't feel is worth delaying release to track down.

Yes!
...of course you know by now, that you can always buy my immoral soul ,just by saying the other alternative 'will delay release'.  :)

Offline bytemaster

I am of the opinion that we need to minimize our reliance on price feeds because it gives the delegates too much power to really screw with the system.

I think we will only use them to "start" the market. 

Once started it immediately switches to 24 hour weighted average and the feeds are no longer required. 

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

General restrictions:
1) If you partially cover you don't get your collateral back until you fully cover.
2) If you opt to cover using your collateral by increasing your call price you end up accepting market price (highest bids)
3) You cannot partially cover using your collateral, it is an all or nothing deal.

Reasons of these restrictions are primarily the complexity of yet another order type with different matching rules where the complexity grows with N^2 the number of order types we must support.   Right now we have a 2x2 matrix of possible pairings between bid/short/ask/cover and adding "ask_with_collateral" to the mix would take us from 4 cases to 9 cases to consider (test and debug).    Something that I don't feel is worth delaying release to track down.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
help wallet_market_cover

And this will use my available bitUSD, not buy new ones from the market @ current price???

Surprise!  You can't use your collateral to buy USD to cover. (This extra XTS you need to buy back USD is a "hidden" implicit extra collateral requirement).
It adds a surprising amount of complexity to be able to cover using your collateral. BM is about to implement a solution where you can increase your own call price so you can have your margin called without a 5% fee if the original cover price would not have resulted in a margin call.

"hidden" implicit extra collateral requirement" - fuck the testers, but it should not be hidden from the actual customers!

BTW if the 'market cover' order first checks if you have bitUSDs of your own, It will serve the purpose of prevent the kind  front-running, I tried to explain in two other threads. So worth considering, imho.

Offline vikram

I attempted to sell 100,000 XTS for some BTC at 0.000019. A small portion of my order was executed and the rest I guess was left pending. There is a bid that satisfies my order, however, even after several minutes the order was not executed.  How long should it take for an order to be matched. I have traded XTS, USD, BTC and GEM and did not have any issues until now.

I'm still missing 100,000 XTS... where should I be looking to see that my funds did not disappear? I have no pending orders for the transaction.

Code: [Select]
|2014-08-14T01:10:02 1233      ASK-L4zbTz29        MARKET              100,000.00000 XTS       fill ask @ 0.000019 USD / XTS               0.00000 XTS         [8b4c8a]|
|                              ASK-L4zbTz29        malcolmjmr          1.9000 USD              ask proceeds @ 0.000019 USD / XTS                                       |

I do not understand what you are describing. Can you state the sequence of steps you took along with the account transaction history and balance?