Author Topic: Has mastercoin finally died?  (Read 4869 times)

charleshoskinson

Charles what is your new job?  I'm a long time follower of yours on twitter, was wonderin' what you're up to these days.

My biggest and most complex project yet. Tons of Scala code, new crypto (compressed lamport sigs :)), and tropical beaches :)

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

I tried using the counterparty wallet for the first time this week so I could sell half my Proof of burn XCP and buy more BTSX. It was alright. The speed was the big killer though. It reminded me of the nineties when I'd click on two audio songs, go to sleep and hope they'd downloaded by morning.
I presume they're going to have their own faster side chains or something soon enough but doing anything at that speed is just ridiculous. Especially when BTSX exists.

Paging Invictus... Empirical has a talking point to contribute for your trip to Utah. This point is extremely important and cannot be overemphasized.

Mastercoin has some problems but that talking point would damage the industry as a whole and attract regulators. It doesn't help our community if Mastercoin is destroyed in a scorched earth manner.

I don't agree with how that crowd sale was handled, I voiced my concerns when it happened, and I also don't agree with some of the decisions or confusion over whether or not to monetize. There should be no confusion about whether or not to monetize because that is something to decide in the beginning when you can monetize without a lot of competition.

Evidently, you are responding to the thread title and not the text of this post. The "talking point" I mentioned presents a positive contrast between the speed of transactions when using Bitshares and Counterparty, having nothing to do with Mastercoin. Utah, for anyone who doesn't know, is where Overstock is based.

The talking point should be highlighted more. I think Bitshares does have more potential than Counterparty but Counterparty is working today while Bitshares is still in testing mode. Also the Counterparty team are bragging about how Overstock is about to launch a security on Counterparty.

I don't think it's a good idea to choose Counterparty to launch a security. It's going to be at risk of compromise if Bitcoin is comprimised and I think there is a strong probability that Bitcoin already is.

A more sensible decision for Overstock would be to spread their risk and launch on both platforms at the same time. In my opinion Bitshares is more secure because it's decentralized but for the moment people haven't figured out or accepted that Bitcoin is centralized.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2cf3hj/adam_krellenstein_of_counterparty_is_working_with/
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
A settlement which happens automatically in 10 minutes it's huge.

what about 10 seconds?

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

I tried using the counterparty wallet for the first time this week so I could sell half my Proof of burn XCP and buy more BTSX. It was alright. The speed was the big killer though. It reminded me of the nineties when I'd click on two audio songs, go to sleep and hope they'd downloaded by morning.
I presume they're going to have their own faster side chains or something soon enough but doing anything at that speed is just ridiculous. Especially when BTSX exists.

Paging Invictus... Empirical has a talking point to contribute for your trip to Utah. This point is extremely important and cannot be overemphasized.

Mastercoin has some problems but that talking point would damage the industry as a whole and attract regulators. It doesn't help our community if Mastercoin is destroyed in a scorched earth manner.

I don't agree with how that crowd sale was handled, I voiced my concerns when it happened, and I also don't agree with some of the decisions or confusion over whether or not to monetize. There should be no confusion about whether or not to monetize because that is something to decide in the beginning when you can monetize without a lot of competition.

Evidently, you are responding to the thread title and not the text of this post. The "talking point" I mentioned presents a positive contrast between the speed of transactions when using Bitshares and Counterparty, having nothing to do with Mastercoin. Utah, for anyone who doesn't know, is where Overstock is based.

Offline BldSwtTrs

• View Profile
Is anyone else tired of seeing the tonne of coins that say that they can do decentralized exchanges? Everyone is promising it including Mastercoin, yet we havent seen anything real yet. Check this out:

http://wiki.mastercoin.org/index.php/Decentralized_exchange
The Master Protocol enables the peer-to-peer exchange of any cryptocurrency or token with any other cryptocurrency or token.

Really? So why is Mastercoin tanking, and why are people still using bter.com and cryptsy if Mastercoin can do that? It seems like some people just like to blow a lot of hot air.

In capital markets, settlements of securities take three days. Three fucking days. And it's take all the middle and back office of investment banks working hard to sort it out.

A settlement which happens automatically in 10 minutes it's huge. I'm convinced Counterparty will have tremendous utility in the future.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
that's why maidsafe shouldn't use mastercoin for the fundraising from the first place ....  funds that should go to maidsafe project ended up to some mastercoins big holders that had the oportunity  to sell profitable and in reality steal health that belonged to  maidsafe...  they could easy ended up with 10 million dollars and now if I am correct they have about 4 millions...  they have must been the bigger bag holders/victims  in crypto history that gived so much credit(!) to their own  perpetrator...

Offline gamey

• View Profile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH7KYmGnj40 pretty much sums it up

Charles what is your new job?  I'm a long time follower of yours on twitter, was wonderin' what you're up to these days.
I speak for myself and only myself.

charleshoskinson

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
Down at 25 on coin market cap, it looks like they are no longer a real contender.

I wouldn't go that far but their economic strategy seems inherently flawed. They have a token but they aren't using it to monetize their infrastructure so what is the point?

That being said if they keep building features and value it will come back. They just have to stop messing around and build all the features they promised in the whitepaper without delaying it or arguing over how to monetize it. Monetize the features until someone does it for cheaper or for free.

I also suggested they focus on exclusive features not found anywhere else. Monetize those features in particular and focus on stuff no one else is doing.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:40:50 pm by luckybit »

merockstar

I agree. I've set orders on counterparty based on looking at their order book, so it should have matched immediately.

nothing.

ended up eating the fee and sending it to poloniex. counterparty will not survive as an exchange unless it does something.

as for mastercoin...

it could have been a contender. it could have been somebody.

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG

Nice one! Such statements should get more publicity.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Is anyone else tired of seeing the tonne of coins that say that they can do decentralized exchanges? Everyone is promising it including Mastercoin, yet we havent seen anything real yet. Check this out:

http://wiki.mastercoin.org/index.php/Decentralized_exchange
The Master Protocol enables the peer-to-peer exchange of any cryptocurrency or token with any other cryptocurrency or token.

Really? So why is Mastercoin tanking, and why are people still using bter.com and cryptsy if Mastercoin can do that? It seems like some people just like to blow a lot of hot air.