Author Topic: [ SNAPSHOT: 8/21 ] DNS  (Read 47823 times)

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
is it in1 min? can someone confirm?

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
will somebody make a confirmation reply here  that the snapshot has taken place?

Offline testz

Will snapshot occur the last block of August 21st? or the first block of August 22nd?

No, only last block of 21 August time should be less or equal 23:59:59.999 GMT

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
Will snapshot occur the last block of August 21st? or the first block of August 22nd?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I have a very dumb question: where is the source code for this project?
I've looked here
https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit
but could not find anything related to DNS
the sorce code as well as the blockchain are not yet released ... the dev (toast) might need some more days .. give him the time ..

ahyea .. and the blockchain cannot be released BEFORE the snapshot .. which will take place in about 10 hours
http://bitshares.org/industries/domains/

jakub

I have a very dumb question: where is the source code for this project?
I've looked here
https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit
but could not find anything related to DNS

Offline Riverhead

1. When I import my PTS wallet.dat into the DNS wallet, will I lose the PTS? I believe I will keep the PTS, but I am not sure.

The DNS blockchain is a "SnapShot" of the PTS blockchain. This means it's a copy at a specific time. The PTS blockchain will remain unchanged. When you "Import" your wallet.dat from your PTS wallet you're basically just importing the private keys. I don't know the answers to your other questions.

Offline dankeykang

• View Profile
    • Marie's Meows
I am definitely interested in purchasing a domain name using DNS. I currently own some PTS and some BTSX, I will be importing my PTS wallet.dat into the DNS wallet in order to receive my credited DNS. I am also hoping that I can use some BTSX to purchase more DNS. I have a few questions though.

1. When I import my PTS wallet.dat into the DNS wallet, will I lose the PTS? I believe I will keep the PTS, but I am not sure.

2. Will I be able to use my BTSX to purchase more DNS?

3. How will I use the DNS to purchase the domain? I understand there will be an auction, but my domain will not be wanted by anyone else. Will the DNS wallet have the auction software running or is this done in a browser?

3. Even though I anticipate that my domain will not requested by any others, can I expect to have competition from others that might be just wanting to bid me up?

Thanks for your help BTS friends!

^        ^
                                          = o   o=
                                                ^
     meow                                         
Bitshares X account:  mwpeace

Please checkout my cat shelter, http://mariesmeows.wix.com/alliancerescues

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I also think that because of the significant ‘air drop’ nor he neither Bitshares/I3 want this to be perceived as Bitshares are ‘air dropping’ on our coins.

Excellent point.  I hadn't considered this.

Yeah but we should want to be perceived that way imo,  unless we don't believe in PTS.

What makes BitShares-PTS great is that nothing else does that job. BitShares-PTS serves no other purpose than being a vessel for snapshots. Anybody holding PTS on 21st Aug will specifically want the Namespaces DAC and they would have paid a premium for the priveledge.

People holding other alts are holding them because they like them for other reasons, most won't be particularly interested in the DAC nor have paid a premium to own it. (If they did want Namespaces, they would have bought PTS before the snapshot - if it's properly advertised.) Anyone sharedropped equity on other alts will likely be a seller. That's why if you want to get a distributed, strong base of supportive shareholders you do a snapshot to PTS.

That premise has already taken a hit with the BitSharesX, post-launch sell off, but that was the result of a big (worthwhile) delay from snapshot and no marketing on launch. (Again for good reason they're waiting) but still, it makes BitShares-PTS look to the market, like it didn't do it's job. (The shareholders weren't supportive.)

In this DAC by dropping such a large amount on other coins we're going to be creating a lot of potential selling pressure on launch, given that our launch marketing isn't proven yet, I'm personally predicting another potential post-snapshot drop.

The fact that we share-dropped significantly elsewhere in the first place, makes PTS look slightly negative imo and the fact that the sharedrop could create a sell off, will after the BTSX launch cement the idea incorrectly in the markets mind that BitShares doesn't give a strong supportive shareholder base.

It's unfortunate that I will be pre-snapshot seller, and AGS on launch seller, even though I'll most likely be a long term buyer of the DNS DAC.

(I think large sharedrops to people who aren't specifically wanting to be shareholders is probably a mistake. Again this is just my personal opinion & I hope to be proven wrong and I hope people know that I am a long term supporter of BitShares and am generally very positive about it. )

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist

toxic? could you say something more?

Come on. Let him have an opinion. After all, this is HIS project.

If giving up his whole stake (mistake imo) for some complicated distribution scheme was not enough. Now he cannot even name it as he feels is better.

i don't care about the name. but i don't understand to throw something away, what will be in the future a really big asset for the bitshares chain family aca ecosystem. if i wouldn't believe this "fact" why would i care? toast self called it all the time DNS here at this snapshot the last time. i don't get it how you can start a snapshot and no name is ready or decided on. we should fix this asap. our big disadvantage against everyone else is all the time the difficult structure about who will honor and succed who and this "name" issue will not help at all.

Offline GaltReport

@Empirical1

Let's market the hell out of a product that does not work yet.
 So everybody can try a TV with no screen, end never want to hear about it again.

+5% Yes I hope this is the case.  Personally I think BTSX is brilliant. I dont think it can go much lower. So I'm buying more nearly everyday and I'm hoping there are good things in the pipeline. I thought the LTB interview was brilliant but as I haven't seen much else tangible yet, I won't be convinced BitShares can market something till I see it.

+5%

I pretty much agree with most of this...however I can understand the reluctance to put a lot of effort/money into marketing something that is still missing key features.  I think they just  couldn't wait any longer to produce something to show positive progress and that the product is worthy of continued support but not a full-on marketing blitz.  Hopefully it gives some of us  more time to get in.