Author Topic: [ SNAPSHOT: 8/21 ] DNS  (Read 47816 times)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
I think people overestimate the effect of chatter and rumors .

This is a free market and the brightest people with the coldest most honest minds are capitalizing on distorted perceptions and growing richer every day.

THEY rule this world, no one else. And THEY set the market cap of all the top coins. The fact that both BitShares X and PTS is in the top 10 proves that chatter is not putting its money where its mouth is.

This is a lesson I learned by watching NXT. Despite the vicious attack, near assault that chatter forced upon NXT, a market cap rising alarmingly fast was the result and underlying truth of the situation.

Someone, likely the brightest most honest and richest people among all of us, had already analyzed the situation thoroughly and invested accordingly, the rest of the chatterbox are still poor and unhappy.

The more we all learn to think like the best and brightest traders the better we will do marketcap wise. They don't have unlimited foresight and will capitalize equally short term on weak products as well as long term on strong ones, but I have no doubt that they see right through the surface chatter that permeates this space.

What they won't be able to predict, however, is what they don't know about. For instance the upcoming snapshots are likely still outside their range of analysis. As soon as we get the information out there, we can rely on the market to do a fair assessment, regardless of what everyone on the forums are spouting.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 08:18:56 pm by CLains »

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Maybe "toxic" was too negative of a word, I suppose I mean that people have a very specific perception of what "BitShares" means which is not accurate and generally negative.

IDK, maybe "BitShares DNS" really is the way to go. But if BTSX gets in trouble, I want it to be clear that DNS has nothing to do with "shares" or "trading" or anything.

I agree the individual DAC's shouldn't be named 'BitShares-Something', they should have their own cool names.

I also don't think you can get much consensus putting those kind of things to forums, so would be better if you named it. 
Or maybe came up with your 2/3 favourite names and let people have a say on that.

(Same with the allocation model, running 2/3 models by shareholders would have made it a non issue, when I fear now it may detract from the actual DAC. It's certainly influenced my trading decisions even though I'm a big fan of the DAC.)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 08:15:14 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
why is it toxic? when coinmarket cap slowly gets taken over by "BitShares" the whole world will pay attention.. maybe some legal issues? :(

If the Namespaces snapshot is popular you could even see both BitShares-PTS and BitSharesX in the top 10 soon, which would be pretty cool  8)  (BitShares-x.info is already moving nicely up the rankings thanks to the coinmarketcap listing)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Maybe "toxic" was too negative of a word, I suppose I mean that people have a very specific perception of what "BitShares" means which is not accurate and generally negative.

IDK, maybe "BitShares DNS" really is the way to go. But if BTSX gets in trouble, I want it to be clear that DNS has nothing to do with "shares" or "trading" or anything.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
why is it toxic? when coinmarket cap slowly gets taken over by "BitShares" the whole world will pay attention.. maybe some legal issues? :(

Offline Riverhead

I also think that because of the significant ‘air drop’ nor he neither Bitshares/I3 want this to be perceived as Bitshares are ‘air dropping’ on our coins.

Excellent point.  I hadn't considered this.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
@Empirical1

Let's market the hell out of a product that does not work yet.
 So everybody can try a TV with no screen, end never want to hear about it again.

+5% Yes I hope this is the case.  Personally I think BTSX is brilliant. I dont think it can go much lower. So I'm buying more nearly everyday and I'm hoping there are good things in the pipeline. I thought the LTB interview was brilliant but as I haven't seen much else tangible yet, I won't be convinced BitShares can market something till I see it.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
In addition to my arguments that toast have full right to name it whatever he likes, I also think that because of the significant ‘air drop’ nor he neither Bitshares/I3 want this to be perceived as Bitshares are ‘air dropping’ on our coins.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
@Empirical1

Let's market the hell out of a product that does not work yet.
 So everybody can try a TV with no screen, end never want to hear about it again.

Offline Riverhead

On the music DAC the name BitTunes I felt had a nice ring to it.  BitDNS also does.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I would like to avoid "BitShares" in the name.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

why? would be good to have it. if bitshares will be big in the future, it will be a big advantage to have bitshares in the official name.

IMO the bitshares brand is currently toxic and I think DNS will help it more than bitshares will help DNS.

toxic? could you say something more?

my feeling is, nobody nows about this project or is waiting for the market function to be implimented in bitsharesX. would be like to say i don't want to take the surname of my parents it has a bad reputation at my neighborhood

I would say it's the BitShares marketing more than the BitShares brand. (The allocation is potentially an issue in this DAC too.)

Marketing is publicity, press, announcements, interviews, videos, forum presences, competitions and promotions.

The NameSpace snapshot marketing has so far consisted of starting a thread in the general discussion area of the BitShares forum as far as I can tell...

BTSX has shown that even if you have a phenomenal product if it is released with hardly any of the marketing tools described above, the customer doesn't know about it and as a result there is no demand.

Edit: BitShares has come a long way in terms of it's marketing material (Content, websites etc.) and St. Martin looks promising but in terms of external marketing, BitShares is minimal. (I pointed out in the marketing sub-section an article which describes BitSharesX as a bucketshop is second only to the website itself in a google search.)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 07:34:26 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Come on. Let him have an opinion. After all, this is HIS project.

If giving up his whole stake (mistake imo) for some complicated distribution scheme was not enough. Now he cannot even name it as he feels is better.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 07:29:01 pm by tonyk »

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist

why? would be good to have it. if bitshares will be big in the future, it will be a big advantage to have bitshares in the official name.

IMO the bitshares brand is currently toxic and I think DNS will help it more than bitshares will help DNS.

my feeling is, nobody nows about this project or is waiting for the market function to be implimented in bitsharesX. would be like to say i don't want to take the surname of my parents it has a bad reputation at my neighborhood

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.