Author Topic: _  (Read 22235 times)

Offline Pheonike

We can call it what you want, just have a tag line, "DAC XYZ powered by Bitshares". We should use  the Intel marketing strategy. The PC makers can call the products whatever as long as "Intel Inside" is known. This kinda of branding allows the DACS to stand on their on and help market the Bitshares ecosystem.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
It's like you could have called it 'Toast DNS.'  People would have an idea what the DAC did but after a while they would just start calling it it's cool brand name 'Toast'
If you call it BitShares DNS, there's no cool brand name for it to become and if you make it BitShares 'Cool brand name', like X, then you lose the function. Tricky.
I don`t believe you need a function in the name.
It have to be easy to spell and need the ability to burn itself into peoples minds and it could not harm if its only cool.
Take for example Ripple, Nxt, Google, Sprite, Fanta ... those brands are not related to any funtion, but who cares, they sound cool.

So yeah why not call it BitShares Toast. In 2 years no one will ask anymore what is Toast? Ist just there and People know what to do with it.

+5% +5% on "Bitshares Toast"

Yes true, I generally agree with you here again.

I still think indicating the function could be useful early on, and I'd still like people to know BitShares-PTS was BitShares-'The one you hold for snapshots of new DACs' as I still find people are uncertain of how BitShares works even a year in. So still a bit tricky for me again.  (I guess by the end of the year there will have been enough snapshots that people will know)

+5% for BitShares Toast too  :)

Offline Riverhead

Very true, like how TiVo has become a verb.

Offline feedthemcake

• View Profile
It's like you could have called it 'Toast DNS.'  People would have an idea what the DAC did but after a while they would just start calling it it's cool brand name 'Toast'
If you call it BitShares DNS, there's no cool brand name for it to become and if you make it BitShares 'Cool brand name', like X, then you lose the function. Tricky.
I don`t believe you need a function in the name.
It have to be easy to spell and need the ability to burn itself into peoples minds and it could not harm if its only cool.
Take for example Ripple, Nxt, Google, Sprite, Fanta ... those brands are not related to any funtion, but who cares, they sound cool.

So yeah why not call it BitShares Toast. In 2 years no one will ask anymore what is Toast? Ist just there and People know what to do with it.

+5% +5% on "Bitshares Toast"

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile

The power of the BitShares brand is what keeps us stronger than those altcoins and lonely wolfs in cryptospace. Only together we are strong.

+5% Great post Vato!  Some great points, interesting things to think about! I'm not sure here.

I think my main thing was

a) BitShares X would be better if it hinted more at it's function maybe
b) I've seen a couple of people on BTT asking should I hold BitShares X or BitShares PTS for the snapshot?   

Maybe BitShares 'something' is fine, maybe people will just start calling it 'something' and drop the BitShares over time or if there's a major issue with BitShares you can drop it then.

Thoughts

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 10:20:09 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Please, Toast, don`t cook your own soup like all these doomed altcoins and empower the BitShares ecosystem by fullfilling the three BTS-ECO conditions with your amazing DAC.

+5%

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
This is a time-proven strategy, as you can see from all the products that benefit from the Coke, Nestle, Toyota, Proctor and Gamble, and ACME umbrella brands.

Very few of the products that fall under the umbrella brands you listed, mention the umbrella brand in the product name.

Proctor and Gamble

Coke

----
All major umbrella brands and their products, big image - http://convergencealimentaire.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/mapsmall.jpg

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
Decentralized Namespace Service

Denas

maybe

BitShares Denas

?

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Another reason to avoid "BitShares" in the name is because the target audience is NOT cryptocurrency enthusiasts but "normal" geeks and eventually end-users (for KeyID signin).  I think that at this stage, the connotations that BitShares brings will not help attract the people who would make use of the DACs services.

I think it's fine to list it as "BitShares DNS" on coinmarketcap though.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
i vote for

BitShares Names

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
What about just a letter 'B' or a symbol in the name that indicates they're related to BitShares?  You could still see the DAC's are linked but they still get to have their own cool name.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
For what it's worth, I kinda like putting "bitshares" in the name because of brand identity. If it's a good product, it will strengthen the image of other bitshares products for free, and vice-versa.

Why do you think avoiding bitshares will improve the value of the chain?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

The whole idea was to have the BitShares brand give instant credibility to new arrivals on coinmarketcap.com.   

Also, this is One Name to Find Them All.  When someone is looking for BitShares, they will encounter all the others.  When we invest in building the BitShares brand, as we soon will be, one promotion promotes them all.  This is a time-proven strategy, as you can see from all the products that benefit from the Coke, Nestle, Toyota, Proctor and Gamble, and ACME umbrella brands.

It might be an interesting experiment to clone a pair with and without and see which catches on, all other things being equal.  Seems like an obvious thing for a competitor to try.   Hmmm, which would this community support more if two versions appeared at the same time (Hint, the one by Toast.)  But which would the outside world adopt faster?

Personally I'm looking forward to the day when the coinmarketcap top ten all say "BitShares".

:)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 08:05:00 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
DNS Xplode    (my 2 DNSX ;))