Author Topic: Demographics to approach for Bitshares X.  (Read 7686 times)

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
Now that we have a working demographics list I would like to add it to my PMF thread.

We can now try to come up with marketing ideas and link them to this working list of demographics.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
We might need a drug store to rise popularity :)

Offline fuzzy

Ok ..  We have a list of 10 demographics...  Actually, no 11 !!  I think thats a good start.  Now what to do with them? 

I'd like people to pick their top 3 areas to start and list them in order from highest priority to lower.  Or if you want add to the list, whatever..  I'm trying to use a bit of community wisdom.  Help a brother out !!!

1) Day traders and traders in general.  These aren't guys that will sit on BTSX and wait for it to appreciate.  These are the people that are needed for this grand experiment work.  There has to be countless forums etc where active traders congregate.  From FOREX to traditional stock exchanges.  The idea would be to get a few people started with hopefully smaller amounts.  If they talk more about using it, then the more it will row.  These are not crypto people or those who have an strong distrust in USD.  These are guys already playing a similar game and we want to migrate them to Bitshares X. 

2) People who distrust USD and wish for a hedge.  The main problem I see is that these people also do not trust crypto.  They're also preparing for the end of the world type scenarios, so this makes the distrust even more strong as BTSX will scare some people.  These people don't trust the  government so TITAN can be pushed as a feature.

3) Crypto people.  I think these are the people we'll get by default with the current marketing (at least what I am aware of).  It will be basically people we take from BTC or NXT, etc.  Think Bitcointalk and reddit.

4)Businesses that will adopt bitUSD or BTSX as payment.  There is also the sub-demographic of people serving a consultant/integrator role.
That will be a hard sale without more widespread adoption, but at some point would be very key.  Someone running a crypto-store might see the usefulness of BTSX before others, much like what happened with BTC.  :o

5) people/companies that want to manage their own stock/shares on a blockchain

6) all merchants that already accept FIAT and see the future in blockchain tech

7)People that are privacy minded.  - We could look at the users of BTC predecessors for ideas.  There are services that existed previous to BTC that have come and gone.  The users of these types of services could be interested in things such as BitUSD and TITAN.

8)People in countries that seem likely to outlaw crypto-currencies.  TITAN could be seen as a tool to fight fascist oppression.

9) Payment Processors from around the globe.  Wine & dine them, if you get them to buyin it would be golden.

10) Investors !  We sometimes get all caught up and forget these things.

11) Students and professors.  (What type of students?  Economics students?  Who will love the market peg? )

Don't forget the terrorists..they have been Huge in bitcoins rise! Otherwise, nice list :P
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Ok ..  We have a list of 10 demographics...  Actually, no 11 !!  I think thats a good start.  Now what to do with them? 

I'd like people to pick their top 3 areas to start and list them in order from highest priority to lower.  Or if you want add to the list, whatever..  I'm trying to use a bit of community wisdom.  Help a brother out !!!

1) Day traders and traders in general.  These aren't guys that will sit on BTSX and wait for it to appreciate.  These are the people that are needed for this grand experiment work.  There has to be countless forums etc where active traders congregate.  From FOREX to traditional stock exchanges.  The idea would be to get a few people started with hopefully smaller amounts.  If they talk more about using it, then the more it will row.  These are not crypto people or those who have an strong distrust in USD.  These are guys already playing a similar game and we want to migrate them to Bitshares X. 

2) People who distrust USD and wish for a hedge.  The main problem I see is that these people also do not trust crypto.  They're also preparing for the end of the world type scenarios, so this makes the distrust even more strong as BTSX will scare some people.  These people don't trust the  government so TITAN can be pushed as a feature.

3) Crypto people.  I think these are the people we'll get by default with the current marketing (at least what I am aware of).  It will be basically people we take from BTC or NXT, etc.  Think Bitcointalk and reddit.

4)Businesses that will adopt bitUSD or BTSX as payment.  There is also the sub-demographic of people serving a consultant/integrator role.
That will be a hard sale without more widespread adoption, but at some point would be very key.  Someone running a crypto-store might see the usefulness of BTSX before others, much like what happened with BTC.  :o

5) people/companies that want to manage their own stock/shares on a blockchain

6) all merchants that already accept FIAT and see the future in blockchain tech

7)People that are privacy minded.  - We could look at the users of BTC predecessors for ideas.  There are services that existed previous to BTC that have come and gone.  The users of these types of services could be interested in things such as BitUSD and TITAN.

8)People in countries that seem likely to outlaw crypto-currencies.  TITAN could be seen as a tool to fight fascist oppression.

9) Payment Processors from around the globe.  Wine & dine them, if you get them to buyin it would be golden.

10) Investors !  We sometimes get all caught up and forget these things.

11) Students and professors.  (What type of students?  Economics students?  Who will love the market peg? )
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline yellowecho

I can't wait for manned companies to start utilizing BitsharesX's potential!  Smart phones could use ones fingerprint to unlock the wallet... a OTP could integrate with a manned company's ATM instantly turning your bitUSD into Federal Reserve notes.  The future demographic for BitsharesX is anyone that uses money or stocks... once devs start making sleek, functional smart phone apps easy enough for anyone to use (without a learning curve) market adoption will spread like wildfire.   ;D
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Here is a thread on an idea I have to dramatically boost advertising for all future DACs.
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=6737.0

Put the ads in the Bitshares X interface itself. Every user of Bitshares X could see ads for future DACs or just receive the latest information all in one place without having to check forums, newsletters, etc.

If we are going to start marketing the least we can do is market to our own users.

+5% +5% +5%

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Think big:
-Marketing director collects all payment processors (around the globe) and arranges a 3 day tour/lecture to St. Vegas!
-Dan gives them 2-2.5 hours lectures, for 3 consecutive days.
-1 or 2 of them buy 200 Mil BTSX at those (or close too) low prices.
-Those 1-2 start implementing the idea described in my post above.
BTS X  is huge in 9mo.
…You do not need much more marketing or target groups.

My 2 cents (my 2 BTSX are more valuable to give them)
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

OK, 2 more demographics.  The idea here is that I want to brainstorm and come up with a list of people who will find value in BTSX and have the means to invest.  At some point I'll distill it into a list and maybe we can have discussion on who to approach and how to tackle the problem.

A)People that are privacy minded.  - We could look at the users of BTC predecessors for ideas.  There are services that existed previous to BTC that have come and gone.  The users of these types of services could be interested in things such as BitUSD and TITAN.

B)People in countries that seem likely to outlaw crypto-currencies.  TITAN could be seen as a tool to fight fascist oppression. 

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Here is a thread on an idea I have to dramatically boost advertising for all future DACs.
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=6737.0

Put the ads in the Bitshares X interface itself. Every user of Bitshares X could see ads for future DACs or just receive the latest information all in one place without having to check forums, newsletters, etc.

If we are going to start marketing the least we can do is market to our own users.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Any business that can see how accepting bitUSD is beneficial (compared to both BTC and USD).

[edit] Overstock will be great leading the way.

So #4 )Businesses that will adopt bitUSD or BTSX as payment.  There is also the sub-demographic of people serving a consultant/integrator role.
That will be a hard sale without more widespread adoption, but at some point would be very key.  Someone running a crypto-market might see the usefulness of BTSX before others, much like what happened with BTC.  :o

Actually we do not need anybody else but the POS terminal providers/payment processor(s). They just have to offer the merchants the following service:

Accepting USD and bitUSD, in exchange for just putting the sign that they do so on each check-out counter (shopping cart if online). At the end of the day the merchant can receive all of his funds in USD, regardless if the payment was in USD or bitUSD,( if said merchant so chooses).

All that because for POS provider exist easy (very easy indeed) way to immediately lock into the current exchange rate and not worry about bitUSD/BTS X price movement.

This will solve a lot of problems at once – mass adoption by firs merchants followed by customers, advertising will be more efficient because customers will see the bitUSD logo on many (hopefully) counters;  This will lead to a lot of volume on the exchange and volume at very close to the 1:1 bitUSD/USD mark.

Actually that is what we need to make BTS X real huge and real fast.

Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
Luckybit if you want to tell us a bit more how you would use Google search research I am all ears.  There are almost always better ways to do things with more resources.  People tend to see marketing with what they have had luck with in the past.  I'm not sure that will work with Bitshares X.  It is a concept that needs to be sold more than a product.  I don't even know what keywords would drive adoption.  Most things sold via google are things people already know they want.  That will have different approach than what Bitshares X requires.

My goal would be more along the lines of education and awareness.  That is hard to do via google.

My goal here is just to make a list of places we could target.  Specifically, types of online communities.  Some in the list will not be targetable as much as others.  Some will have far more value than others.  I'm not a marketer etc, but over the years I've come to understand things a bit.  I would have liked to have tried the friendsofbitshares thing earlier so the effectiveness could have been separated from the scarcity leading up to the AGS end, but thats done with.  And it wasn't just the F.O.B. account, it was all the people who helped.  They know who they are and everyone contributed a ton.  Thank YOU!

I suspect a similar thing could be done elsewhere with even more effort and better results.  :)

First though I would like to see people help brainstorm with a list of demographics, then we break down the list, prioritize it, etc.

For example you can check Google search trends and there are charts for Bitcoin and Litecoin. There has been analysis and we have concluded that the price and search attention are correlated. The price rises as more people search for Bitcoin.

But we don't know what is driving it. Is it media attention? Is it the price reaching an ATH that causes the media attention which drives the search results higher? Perhaps it's the mining which allowed people to basically get their first Bitcoins for free which acts as free samples?

We could set up surveys for this forum. There are 5000 users here. We could let each user take the survey. We could restrict the survey only to users who have beyond a certain amount of posts and reward the users who registered earlier with more frequent posts as a way to stop sybil attacks.

We could give the survey to delegates or potential delegates as well. As far as what the developers can do they can allow users of Bitshares X to opt-in to let developers collect anonymous statistics on use patterns. This could be helpful and help developers determine which new features to build next and another alternative to this would be to use an innovation game.

There are many ways to do marketing, to do research, to collect data, and analyze it. Data is everywhere you look and with incentive most users will answer questions. You also have the ability to take polls (I've done it in the past on this forum) but polls aren't so effective if you don't have other data.

So what we really have to do is decide on a course of action we want to try based on what we think we currently know. Then we have to track and analyze our results so that if we see an indication of success we stick with it but if we don't see the marketing campaign going anywhere we drop it.
Not sure if someone has already mentioned this but an idea is to tackle Universities, students and professors across the world.

from unis websites, derive the email address of professors and students, make a list and send them the teasers..

In order to quickly derive all these emails and complete the list, make bounties so forum members can help...

How much discretionary spending does the average university student have? When picking demographics we should at least do it scientifically. We should look for people who are in higher income brackets and most college students are broke.

I think in the short term approaching college students might be okay because it's still kind of cheap but it's not going to scale up unless you can get "sophisticated investors". What demographics is the Bitcoin Investment Trust targeting? How do we get that demographic?

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 02:44:51 pm by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Not sure if someone has already mentioned this but an idea is to tackle Universities, students and professors across the world.

from unis websites, derive the email address of professors and students, make a list and send them the teasers..

In order to quickly derive all these emails and complete the list, make bounties so forum members can help...

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
Do market research. Use surveys. The data will reveal whether or not a marketing campaign is effective. It shouldn't be left up to opinion.

We should be tracking Google search trends for Bitshares for starters.
+5%

but how to get them all to fill a survey? Chicken & Egg issue here?

DACs can pay them to provide information. Statistic information for example and survey data.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Luckybit if you want to tell us a bit more how you would use Google search research I am all ears.  There are almost always better ways to do things with more resources.  People tend to see marketing with what they have had luck with in the past.  I'm not sure that will work with Bitshares X.  It is a concept that needs to be sold more than a product.  I don't even know what keywords would drive adoption.  Most things sold via google are things people already know they want.  That will have different approach than what Bitshares X requires.

My goal would be more along the lines of education and awareness.  That is hard to do via google.

My goal here is just to make a list of places we could target.  Specifically, types of online communities.  Some in the list will not be targetable as much as others.  Some will have far more value than others.  I'm not a marketer etc, but over the years I've come to understand things a bit.  I would have liked to have tried the friendsofbitshares thing earlier so the effectiveness could have been separated from the scarcity leading up to the AGS end, but thats done with.  And it wasn't just the F.O.B. account, it was all the people who helped.  They know who they are and everyone contributed a ton.  Thank YOU!

I suspect a similar thing could be done elsewhere with even more effort and better results.  :)

First though I would like to see people help brainstorm with a list of demographics, then we break down the list, prioritize it, etc.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Do market research. Use surveys. The data will reveal whether or not a marketing campaign is effective. It shouldn't be left up to opinion.

We should be tracking Google search trends for Bitshares for starters.
+5%

but how to get them all to fill a survey? Chicken & Egg issue here?