Author Topic: Potential BitShares DNS pre-snapshot marketing strategy ideas  (Read 3851 times)

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
please don't call it BitToast   D=

I really like the idea of BitToast and all its marketing angles, please reconsider

+5%

community almost reached consensus about the name  :P
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:11:41 am by liondani »

Offline bobmaloney

It's not BitToast, it's Bitshares Toast. ;-)

I would also like to hear Adam interview Nikolai about Toast on LTB before the snapshot takes place.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline soniq

• View Profile

I really like the idea of BitToast and all its marketing angles, please reconsider
Pr7V9GUm59dtKWXG6RJSymPsyCaCKWwNEj
Soniq on Bitcointalk -- Verified
Bitshares btsx:soniq

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
didn't know about the youtube video - it ist great!

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Also you guys should wait for Taulant to finish the redesign of dotp2p.io

Don't worry I won't be doing anything more myself, as in starting threads elsewhere (though I'll be happy to reply and support them.)  These were just ideas to help with marketing as I'd only seen a general discussion announcement thread in our own forums so far. But if you guys are doing some more closer to the snapshot date already or happy with the current level of awareness (& that will build itself more naturally) it's cool.

Edit: I've changed the BitToast references to BitDNS
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 04:07:29 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Also you guys should wait for Taulant to finish the redesign of dotp2p.io
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile

:D Hi Toast, yes obviously you will be deciding what to call it. Any idea on what you prefer to call it for the time being? Namespaces?

I'm not sure we should go on the offensive against Namecoin right out of the gate. Think we should take the high road and allow people to read the [ANN] and come to the conclusion that BitDNS (or whatever Toast calls it) is better than product Y on their own.

+5% You're probably right. But I would still say it needs an attention grabbing title, any ideas?

Offline Riverhead

I'm not sure we should go on the offensive against Namecoin right out of the gate. Think we should take the high road and allow people to read the [ANN] and come to the conclusion that BitDNS (or whatever Toast calls it) is better than product Y on their own.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
For the Bitcointalk announcement

- The thread is usually started by a developer & it usually takes this format [ANN] [BitDNS]

then maybe 'NameCoin killer! Snapshot 21/08 & Launching within a month! ? or 'Alternative DNS system?'

(I think the easiest way to market BitDNS pre snapshot is maybe Namecoin imo.  Most have an idea of what Namecoin is. So when you say 'Namecoin killer', it already communicates a lot about BitDNS in two words.)

The specifications and allocation model should be the main thing at the start.

Questions

Do we have a firm working name yet?
Do we have a firm allocation model?
Can we share video?                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeweF05tT50&feature=youtu.be

Showing a screenshot/embedding video (I don't know what you call it) on the announcement will really separate this from other crappy announcements, people can immediately see this is something real with real development , not an idea. The graphics and content on that video are really good.

I would also put the website dotp2p.io in the announcement.

-----

I would then highlight only the top few simple to understand,  attention grabbing points. What are they? I'm not sure, off the top of my head -

1. BitToast is a NameCoin killer & MUCH MUCH more! It will be up and running by next month! (The snapshot takes place from BitShares-PTS on 21/08 and you will be able to trade your BitDNS shares on the exchanges within a month.)

2. A domain name on BitDNS can never be siezed and is free from man in the middle attacks & using  DNS servers /browser plugins / "invisible" clients  it creates a seamless browsing experience

3. It solves the problem of domain name squatting by using auctions! You can also make money by participating in auctions too!

4. It uses the BitShares DPOS blockchains & TITAN which means 10 second confirmation times, simple user account names & anonymous transactions! (The DPOS blockchains are already burning rubber on an already released BitShares DAC, BitShares X, download the wallet (link) and test drive these blockchains for yourself!)

5. With equity release via delegates the DAC is well funded for development and marketing and there is no central point of failure once it is up and running. 

Any thoughts?

Then can have the more detailed announcement  https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=6509.msg86561#msg86561

Edit: Obviously the devs will decide what content to put in their BTT announcement thread if they even decide it's in their interest to do one, and I'll be happy to support it. Just trying to give my ideas
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 06:02:58 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Idea 1:             Bitcointalk Announcement thread

A strong well supported announcement thread in the Announcements sections - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=159.0

The main market of people looking to spend BTC on something pre-launch frequent that section. We should make a great announcement there imo.

It moves at a mile a minute so it needs to be well supported and we all need to get behind it and respond at the start for it to gain traction.

Idea 2:                 NameCoin Marketing

NameCoin holders are the second key target market. Presumably people holding NameCoin are doing so because they want access to something like what BitDNS will start delivering in less than a month.

A) Start a soft thread on their forums -'BitDNS, NameCoin alternative launching end Aug discussion'

B) Mystery Sharedrops - Fee Fi Fo fum, I dislike sharedrops, but if we should sharedrop to anyone that would likely be buyers it should mostly be to NameCoin imo.

C) BTCE trollbox, 80% of NMC volume is @ BTCE, they have a trollbox good idea if you have an account there to mention/promote BitDNS to the traders and direct them  to snapshot announcement.

Idea 3:                Change BitShares-PTS on coinmarketcap to PTS (BitDNS 21/08)   (Crazy Idea)

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=6712.msg89060#msg89060

Crazy idea - Change 'BitShares-PTS' on Coinmarkecap when it is 'snapshot hot'

From now until the BitDNS snapshot date. What about changing 'BitShares-PTS' to 'PTS (BitDNS21/08)' on Coinmarketcap.com till the snapshot date. (or whatever DNS DAC will be called)

(Also change the link when on coinmarketcap.com so that when you click on PTS it takes you to the snapshot announcement during the period PTS is 'snapshot hot' 

My thinking - BitShares-PTS serves no other purpose than being a vessel for snapshots, so altering it  on coinmarketcap.com when it is 'snapshot hot' is brand positive imo & also helps people understand what BitShares-PTS does in general.

CoinMarketCap is ranked 3000th in the US (FAR FAR higher than any of BitShares related sites) This is the perfect place for a prime time billboard advertising a snapshot. (Even if we have to pay CMC for hassle of changing it.) 

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 05:23:41 pm by Empirical1 »