Author Topic: Bitshares PTS upgrade proposal  (Read 15948 times)

Offline Riverhead

Re: Bitshares PTS upgrade proposal
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 06:16:17 pm »
Does the client have a way to message the user? I recall with some wallets you'd see messages from the devs. That could be used to say, "Must Ugrade to Version 2.0! Current Blockchain no longer supported"

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 06:07:04 pm »
It needs to be impossible for someone to accidentally buy PTS after migration snapshot

I agree... I think a quick email to the exchanges on that date would let them know to suspend withdraws.   I also think all miners will STOP mining (shut down the mining pools).

Issuing a patch to PTS will not help because people could still be running old clients.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 05:52:24 pm »
It needs to be impossible for someone to accidentally buy PTS after migration snapshot
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 05:49:57 pm »
I would use the snapshot date for VOTE and DNS if it were me... keep things simple.

I don't think so... I think any update should use a stop-network patch for PTS first
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 05:43:22 pm »
I would use the snapshot date for VOTE and DNS if it were me... keep things simple.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 04:41:09 pm »

Yes, please let them finish BTS X first!
Please!
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 04:36:55 pm »
the issue is not that i3 and the devs don't WANT to .. they currently just cant wrap their heads around it to find a proper solution .. I am pretty sure the devs have all hands in getting the market to work and thus I do not see how I3 can handle that ..

BM also stated that anybody can work on makeing PTS better (no matter the way) once a solution is established I3 will (stated by BM somewhere in the boards) change the social consensus to honour that chain ..

So how ever feels up to the challange .. give it a try!

//edit: using the above date for a snapshot seems reasonable

Offline alphaBar

• View Profile
Bitshares PTS upgrade proposal
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 04:27:05 pm »
As a follow up to this thread - https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=6522.0 - the current PTS chain is insecure and inefficient due to a low hashrate, high inflation, and other problems (low block production due to difficulty). Based on the poll, it appears that the community overwhelmingly supports upgrading PTS to a standalone DPOS blockchain. I propose performing the upgrade on Wednesday, September 3, 2014 (I believe performing the snapshot at block 68387 would fall on this date, please confirm). Here are the reasons why I believe this is a good date:

* Two snapshots are occurring on August 21 and this will postdate those snapshots.
* This gives plenty of time for exchanges and partners to perform the upgrade.
* The date falls in the middle of the week and on no major Chinese or US holiday.

This would also obviate the need to implement a difficulty patch in the current client. In addition to support from the user “testz” (who has been tasked with maintenance of PTS), we will need the following:

1) At least one developer who can fork and rebrand the DPOS client for PTS.
2) Stan or others who can reach out to communicate with exchanges and partners (mainly bter and cryptsy).

I firmly believe that we need to set a date for the upgrade now, or it will never happen. We can already see the perverse incentives and consequences of mining creeping in. I believe Dan and the Invictus team should support the community consensus on this issue and cooperate to make this happen. I'm afraid that anything else would be a failure for PTS, and would reflect very poorly upon Invictus and the I3 community as a whole.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 04:28:44 pm by alphaBar »