Author Topic: Infomercial mogul Kevin Harrington gets behind Bitcoin  (Read 12178 times)

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Global Points:

1.  I don't remember anyone saying our marketing plans involved making an infomercial.

I saw you post an 'informercial style' selling script + asking for feedback in a thread titled 'informercial mogul Kevin Harrington gets behind bitcoin' hence the confusion my bad.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Global Points:

1.  I don't remember anyone saying our marketing plans involved making an infomercial.

2.  Kevin started out as a pioneer in making infomercials.  Now he is an investor/entrepreneur looking for opportunities in the crypto industry.  We had the privilege of briefing him on our view of those opportunities. He is not doing marketing or making infomercials for us nor did we discuss such a possibility.

3.  Given how many newbies come to this web site and say, "can somebody explain all this to me?", an infomercial might be exactly what we need to bootstrap people who would gladly sit down for a half hour to get a good solid explanation.

4.  Brian's team is about driving new traffic into an experience with what we have to offer that leaves them signed up and confident enough as new BitShares users to become a viral force for Truth, Justice, Freedom, and a 9-figure market cap.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:13:05 pm by toast »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
If BTSX is such a good speculative investment, why are we sharing it with you and not keeping it to ourselves?
To me the question doesnt make any sense because if everyone assumes that those who advertise it have already invested and have an interest that other people buy in (and no one is that naive to not assume that; and my marketing would not try to hide that) there would be no reason at all to hide it. It has to be made public so the initial investors can profit. The selling point is to buy in now so that you profit as well (a little less than the initial investors but still). And it's not a ponzi scheme because everyone will profit until the asset reaches it's fair value at which it will stay if it is adopted / has real world (mainstream) usage.

+5% That's a good point

Edit: I've changed it a bit to reflect that, but it's probably about as much as I'll do on it, obviously they can approach it however they like, but you point is a good one.
+5%

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Keeping a little something in BTSX could be a good idea. If Fiat and or banks collapse, your BTSX will be untouchable and will probably benefit as a safe haven much like gold.

Very accessible indeed - with no internet and no power grid.
Like a gold in undiscovered gold mine...

Lol. Prepping by definition involves 'preparation for many scenarios' . Power grid failure/attack/EMP are just some of many.
Many prudent preppers have some digital currency and many more can be sold on the concept because of the advantages listed above.

Take it for what it is - 'prudent preppers' and 'people with no money', did not make it to my top ten list of the most important demographics to target.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Riverhead

Keeping a little something in BTSX could be a good idea. If Fiat and or banks collapse, your BTSX will be untouchable and will probably benefit as a safe haven much like gold.

Lol. Prepping by definition involves 'preparation for many scenarios' . Power grid failure/attack/EMP are just some of many.
Many prudent preppers have some digital currency and many more can be sold on the concept because of the advantages listed above.

No power/grid/internet in the collapsed country but perhaps in others. For most of us a far flung premise from the movies. For people in Syria, Iraq, etc. perhaps not so much. What we call preppers in our safe places they call a way of life.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
If BTSX is such a good speculative investment, why are we sharing it with you and not keeping it to ourselves?
To me the question doesnt make any sense because if everyone assumes that those who advertise it have already invested and have an interest that other people buy in (and no one is that naive to not assume that; and my marketing would not try to hide that) there would be no reason at all to hide it. It has to be made public so the initial investors can profit. The selling point is to buy in now so that you profit as well (a little less than the initial investors but still). And it's not a ponzi scheme because everyone will profit until the asset reaches it's fair value at which it will stay if it is adopted / has real world (mainstream) usage.

+5% That's a good point

Edit: I've changed it a bit to reflect that, but it's probably about as much as I'll do on it, obviously they can approach it however they like, but you point is a good one.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:16:02 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 06:51:30 pm by delulo »

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Because the one's advertising it have already made their investments in it to a degree that they would not invest more?

That is the impression I would personally get, which is why I question an informercial, but my little paragraph is trying to counteract that impression, not easy though.

IF YOU ARE A PREPPER LOOKING FOR A FLEXIBLE ALTERNATIVE TO OUT OF CONTROL FIAT PAPER.

It is a one man's opinion, but considering preppers as a target demographic to 'sell' BTSX to is...what is the word I am looking for... anyway, amusing.

Absolutely If I was going to try that demographic I would say something like, 

IF YOU ARE A PREPPER LOOKING FOR A FLEXIBLE ALTERNATIVE TO OUT OF CONTROL FIAT PAPER.

Keeping a little something in BTSX could be a good idea. If Fiat and or banks collapse, your BTSX will be untouchable and will probably benefit from safe-haven demand much like gold. Your BTSX can also be accessed anywhere in the world at any time which is especially useful if you end up needing to cross borders in an emergency where hard assets may well be confiscated.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 06:44:39 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Because the one's advertising it have already made their investments in it to a degree that they would not invest more?

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

It is a one man's opinion, but considering preppers as a target demographic to 'sell' BTSX to is...what is the word I am looking for... anyway, amusing.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Here are a few off-the-cuff "infomercial style" selling points for why someone might want to buy lots of BTSX.

What other selling points should we push and what other types of buyers should we target?

IF YOU ARE A SPECULATOR SEEKING RAPID APPRECIATION

1.  BTSX is a better choice than Bitcoin if you are interested in rapid appreciation - it has better technology and much more room to grow.

2.  BTSX is a better choice for the growth investor than any other crypto-asset for the following reasons:

It’s transactions are the fastest in the industry - exhilerating 10 second confirmations, not minutes or hours.
   It’s easier to use - named accounts not long crypto-keys.
   It’s transactions are completely private and untraceable.
   It spends its fees via elected delegates who compete to grow the industry rather than wasting them on environmentally unsound miners to burn precious energy resources.
   It gives some of its fees back to its holders by reducing the currency supply to increase their percentage share.
   It provides unique new services that will have very high demand - full-scale trading and low-volatility market pegged assets.
   It is part of the BitShares family of profitable unmanned companies - each reinforcing the brand recognition of all the others.  Own them all!
   It has this marketing campaign driving its growth.  No other coin does.  :)

All of these things make BTSX the best growth asset to own this fall.

IF YOU ARE A TRADER SEEKING NEW INVESTMENT FLEXIBILITY AND FREEDOM
   In a new domain where there is less experienced competition and no unfair high-frequency-trading.
   Where you can be a big fish in a new pond.
   Trade inside your "coin" without certain tax penalties associated with moving in and out of fiat until you are ready to "cash out".

IF YOU ARE A SAVER SEEKING A STABLE ALTERNATIVE TO BITCOIN VOLATILITY.
   Buy a digital asset that is market pegged to a more stable commodity or national currency.

Keep your wealth outside the system but where you can easily access and use it without interference.

IF YOU ARE AN ENTREPRENEUR LOOKING TO RAISE FUNDS
   Issue your own assets and trade them against everything else.

USE BITCOIN FOR "CHECKING" AND BITSHARES FOR "SAVINGS"!
   Bitcoin has the most mature network of merchants and fiat on-ramps,
   BitShares lets you safely put to work what you don’t plan to spend right away where you control the mix of stability and leverage.
   Use the right tool for the right job.  They work together in powerful synergy.

Good Stuff, Thank you.  +5%

+5% Not that I'm sure of the merits of an informericial but if there was one happening I think to have any chance of selling BTSX as speculative opportunity, you would also have to explain why a good 'speculative investment opportunity' is being presented on an 'informercial', this is the best I've come up with so far... (Excuse the hyperbole stuff, just trying to be more 'informercial')

-------------------------------

If BTSX is such a good speculative opportunity why share it?

While it's no secret that we've invested in BTSX ourselves, unlike normal products where you just get to enjoy the benefits and we get to enjoy the profits, because BTSX is a limited decentralised currency, anybody that uses BTSX also becomes a shareholder in it just like us. So if you get BTSX at this stage, you will not only enjoy the use and advantages of BTSX but as more people adopt it, you will also experience the same potential investment returns that initial investors like us do!

The reason that it's actually in our interest as other early investors to share this opportunity with you, is because BTSX benefits from the value of 'the network effect'. The more people that use BTSX, the more businesses will rush to offer their products and services in exchange for it and the more convenient, popular and well known BTSX becomes, the more the average consumer will adopt it too, which in turn will drive its growth even more!

Ultimately BTSX will find a more stable level in the market with a more conservative level of average growth but this is unique opportunity to jump on the train when it has just left station. With Bitcoin, the growth spurt of turning a $10 000 speculative investment into $750 000+ took less than a year from a similar stage to where BTSX is now. However we believe that because the groundwork has already been laid by Bitcoin, that a superior game-changing decentralised currency like BTSX which is far more quick, convenient, secure, reliable and private could experience greater growth at an even faster rate!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:14:20 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I can just ask him to get some more made of the same.

Let's keep this in the actual t-shirt thread though

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline toast

• View Profile
To be extra fair the latest white ones that said "bitshares" and nothing else are good and I wish we had some left that weren't XL.

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Riverhead

Hah, everyone's a critic :). Where can we see Brian's designs? I wasn't aware there were any but I was MIA for a while.

Offline toast

• View Profile
To be fair every design I have seen up until now (from brian and from others) are equally unwearable

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile
You guys are hillarious. I create a dozen different t-shirt designs for the Texas Bitcoin Conference and get overtly criticized for them, now there are demands that someone steps up and sells/prints up more tees?  No thanks.   

Feel free to steal my designs if you like them - or create your own if you guys are that much in need of t-shirts.

Offline Riverhead

I am gonna go out on a limb and say it's probably because: you guys collected millions of dollars in funds, it's your name, and you are now trying to sell BTSX to people.

If selling T-Shirts is profitable then we will probably do it.  Right now we don't think it justifies our time and we could not cover the costs.  If someone disagrees with us on that point then they can prove it by doing it profitably.  The end result will be the same, we would likely recommend them.  Consider it a job position that is 100% commission that we are looking to fill.

I have a few shirts up (see my sig).  They are dead simple to design, it doesn't cost a dime, and I have them set to $0 profit (selling at cost). Trust me, I have zero creative skills and I was able to churn out three simple designs in about 45 minutes. Since I have a vested interest in the success of the BitShares ecosystem I don't mind doing a little legwork for the cause.

Offline bytemaster

I am gonna go out on a limb and say it's probably because: you guys collected millions of dollars in funds, it's your name, and you are now trying to sell BTSX to people.

If selling T-Shirts is profitable then we will probably do it.  Right now we don't think it justifies our time and we could not cover the costs.  If someone disagrees with us on that point then they can prove it by doing it profitably.  The end result will be the same, we would likely recommend them.  Consider it a job position that is 100% commission that we are looking to fill.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline GaltReport

I want a Bitshares T-shirt too!  :)

Why aren't they selling merch? That is probably the easiest way to market the product. I want to buy a tshirt too.

Me three!

Me as well.  Would be nice to have a little store with shirts, coffee mugs etc....

Why does everybody wait until "they" do it? 
This is a decentralized industry with opportunities for everybody! 
Entrepreneurs of the world arise! 
A rising tide raises all boats!

Ah, I didn't know that anyone was free to use BitShares Names, Logos etc...? So, none of it's trademarked etc???  If not, I would think it would be profitable for anyone who does have the time.  Unfortunately I do not but I would be a buyer.

Trademarks exist, but that doesn't mean it isn't easy to get rights to use them for generally wholesome, philosophically sound purposes...

Is their anything already available from Invictus or would they need to be manufactured?  Will you take orders and ship them out or can someone drive to your offices and pickup a truckload of shirts and sell them on the Internet?

Contact brian@bitshares.org if you are serious.

If you want to easily sell BitShares shirts check out http://teespring.com/,
which I hear is internet marketers favorite custom t-shirt distributor and manufacturer.

Thank you.  I am serious about wanting to buy one and selling them but I don't have the time or talent to get into their design and manufacture.

Offline NewMine

• View Profile

Why aren't they selling merch? That is probably the easiest way to market the product. I want to buy a tshirt too.

Me three!

Me as well.  Would be nice to have a little store with shirts, coffee mugs etc....

I don't think it's fair to deflect the requests as if it's someone else's responsibility when it's "your" show and you have the capital. You could've spent .001% of your collected donations and have plenty of shirts to go around and even make money.

That response would be like me going to Mcdonalds, asking for fries and then being told they don't have any because I should have came in and cooked them.

By the way, an infomercial is a horrible waste of effort and money. What is the end result of an infomercial? What is the demographic audience of an infomercial?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 02:21:15 pm by NewMine »

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

Me three!

Ah, I didn't know that anyone was free to use BitShares Names, Logos etc...? So, none of it's trademarked etc???  If not, I would think it would be profitable for anyone who does have the time.  Unfortunately I do not but I would be a buyer.

Trademarks exist, but that doesn't mean it isn't easy to get rights to use them for generally wholesome, philosophically sound purposes...

Is their anything already available from Invictus or would they need to be manufactured?  Will you take orders and ship them out or can someone drive to your offices and pickup a truckload of shirts and sell them on the Internet?

Stan just gave us the green light. Let's find an artist and do it.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Riverhead

which I hear is internet marketers favorite custom t-shirt distributor and manufacturer.

Interesting site.  I need to investigate further when I have time. Looks promising though especially if we have folks here that have skills at t-shirt design.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

Me three!

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 02:08:02 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline GaltReport

Here are a few off-the-cuff "infomercial style" selling points for why someone might want to buy lots of BTSX.

What other selling points should we push and what other types of buyers should we target?

1.  BTSX is a better choice than Bitcoin if you are interested in rapid appreciation - it has better technology and much more room to grow.

2.  BTSX is a better choice for the growth investor than any other crypto-asset for the following reasons:

It’s transactions are the fastest in the industry - exhilerating 10 second confirmations, not minutes or hours.
   It spends its fees via elected delegates who compete to grow the industry rather than wasting them on environmentally unsound miners to burn precious energy resources.
   It gives some of its fees back to its holders by reducing the currency supply to increase their percentage share.
   It provides unique new services that will have very high demand - full-scale trading and low-volatility market pegged assets.
   It is part of the BitShares family of profitable unmanned companies - each reinforcing the brand recognition of all the others.  Own them all!

In a new domain where there is less experienced competition and no unfair high-frequency-trading.
   Trade inside your "coin" without certain tax penalties associated with moving in and out of fiat until you are ready to "cash out".

Buy a digital asset that is market pegged to a more stable commodity or national currency.

Keep your wealth outside the system but where you can easily access and use it without interference.

BitShares lets you safely put to work what you don’t plan to spend right away where you control the mix of stability and leverage.

Good Stuff, Thank you.  +5%

Offline GaltReport

Me three!

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

Me three!

Offline GaltReport

Me three!

Ah, I didn't know that anyone was free to use BitShares Names, Logos etc...? So, none of it's trademarked etc???  If not, I would think it would be profitable for anyone who does have the time.  I do not have the time to manufacture things.  I would be a buyer and would be willing to offer them for sale on my site if I had a supply.

Is their anything already available from Invictus?  Will you take orders and ship them out or can someone drive to your offices and pickup a truckload of shirts and sell them on the Internet?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:41:58 pm by GaltReport »

Offline Riverhead

Is there somewhere with some guidelines about what we can/can't use or how it should be used in terms of copyright and trademark for the logos, names, slogans, etc? I guess this is more of a question for Brian?

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
It can provide more security than Bitcoin. Security issues with DPOS are at worst temporary where they can become permanent with Bitcoin.
(said "can" because DPOS/delegate election has to mature. I refer to: When someone has 51% of the Sha256 hasing power Bitcoin would have to switch to another security model which would take a longer while).

It is magnitudes more efficient than Bitcoin - DPOS provides more security per cost either users or coinholders have to pay.

It is backed by a company / corporate structure which has an incentive to grow the Bitshares ecosystem.  According to Mike Hearn (http://youtu.be/9jbMopz8Jtw?t=42m12s) only Gavin Andresen is making any valuable contributions. There is no effective incentive structure within the Bitcoin network to compete and innovate in the long run. Why does it not change? Because of the currency analogy which is a heavy competitive disadvantage.
(For any skilled investor this I think is the biggest argument. A good team, aligned interests and a good corporate structure will in the long run bring out all the competitive advantages listed above and more we can not think of yet. If the team is good and the incentives are right innovation elsewhere in the industry can be adopted and enhanced. Doesn't resonate well though with the average crypto anarchist).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:49:06 pm by delulo »

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 04:04:01 am by Stan »

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

Me three!

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Me three!

Wow, without reading this messages, 2 minutes later I proposed

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=3454.msg90106#msg90106

Freaky how on top of things I am ?
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline GaltReport

Me three!

Offline onceuponatime

Me three!

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
Thx for the slides ... just FYI, in physics, a quantum leap is sth very very very small .. everyone is using that falsely

I was just being modest...   :)

Offline yellowecho

696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile
Man I miss that show.  Just brilliant.

Offline bytemaster

Thx for the slides ... just FYI, in physics, a quantum leap is sth very very very small .. everyone is using that falsely

Or it involves swapping your consciousness with another stranger within your own lifetime.

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline zongguan

• View Profile
BTS : pk
Soundac witness : shanghai
www.soundac.io   www.peertracks.com

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
More than half of the content presented while Kevin was there was about the opportunities represented by this one chart.  The rest was about Bitcoin-specific issues only.

Can we get the rest of the slides too?

Believe it or not I talked for two hours with nothing but these six slides.  They don't tell you much without the words that go with them, but for the sake of full disclosure, here they are.

Bottom line:  BitShares is a quantum leap ahead in the industry arms race and there are many opportunities for those who are not taken by surprise.

bitbro

Offline luckybit

• View Profile

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

bitbro

Are we not in partnership with bittunes at all?  Seemed he had similar ideology...

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
Is bittunes our guys cob and eddie?

Just my working code name for BitShares Music until Eddie and Cob make their real choice.

Offline yellowecho

696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline bitcoinerS

• View Profile
>>> approve bitcoiners

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Is bittunes our guys cob and eddie?

Seems like a nice catch!.... (?)  :D

EDIT: but it exist 12 months now https://www.bittunes.com/#home    :(
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 12:12:04 am by liondani »

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
More than half of the content presented while Kevin was there was about the opportunities represented by this one chart.  The rest was about Bitcoin-specific issues only.

Can we get the rest of the slides too?

Offline Riverhead

He also probably recorded that prior to hearing our pitch ;)
Didn't consider that :).  It's like you were there or something.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

Offline bytemaster

He also probably recorded that prior to hearing our pitch ;)

38PTSWarrior

Analysis:

Kevin said he wants to get in early and that bitcoin was early last year. This means he first has to do the bitcoin thing before it gets even later and then focus on bitshares because bitshares is still fresh like a young sheep on the grass jumping around :D

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
+5%
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keTREVYlKNY

+5%

Bitshares are not mentioned directly, but Kevin appears excited about creating a Bitcoin business starting today.

Brian gives positive feedback on the whole St. Martens event and another man I do not recognize (Stan?)is wearing a bitshares shirt in the video

Yeah, that would be me...

Offline bytemaster

Think BitShares "upsell" after Bitcoin Hook. 

Offline soniq

• View Profile

+5%
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keTREVYlKNY

+5%

Bitshares are not mentioned directly, but Kevin appears excited about creating a Bitcoin business starting today.

Brian gives positive feedback on the whole St. Martens event and another man I do not recognize (Stan?)is wearing a bitshares shirt in the video
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 06:17:18 pm by soniq »
Pr7V9GUm59dtKWXG6RJSymPsyCaCKWwNEj
Soniq on Bitcointalk -- Verified
Bitshares btsx:soniq

bitbro

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 05:55:38 pm by luckybit »