Author Topic: We could be selling .com's and .orgs on a superior decentralised system  (Read 12786 times)

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Nobody will use an alternate DNS system if it breaks the *entire rest of the internet*.

Maybe it just seems that way because ICANN is a monopoly system that hasn't had a competitor yet.

What if... ICANN is just a forum.  Web addresses are just people's forum usernames. No-one has a monopoly on usernames.

What did you do when BTSX started?

- You tried to register 'Toast'. Why?
- Out of all the usernames in the world someone had already registered 'Toast' on the very first day.
- How many BTSX would you/others have bid for 'Toast' on BTSX if it was resellable? 
- Why have you/someone else not paid 0.1 BTSX for something like 'Toast1', 'Toast2' or 'Toast.p2p' on BTSX yet?

& while someone may incorrectly send money to Toast on BTSX or get scammed by them, it's very unlikely.
Your reputation is based somewhere else,  and your signature at that location, clearly says  BTSX:  nikolai

Offline bytemaster

A move to decentralized allocation of .com would be most successful if managed via an "airdrop" to current .com holders, if there was wide industry support.   

The owners of ".com" would not want to give up their control and influence for nothing so they would have to be allocated a large stake in the new system.  But getting a government to agree to this is like getting the voting dac adopted by governments.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
No, we won't be selling ICANN domains on BDNS.

Ok, yeah I wouldn't expect you to change the system you're working on. This one is completely different & there's a market for .p2p like there is for a .bit the BitShares DNS is much better than Namecoin, so the current version will be a success for sure. 

But I guess a future version could try this, if this approach may appealed to someone else who might be thinking of starting a decentralised DNS system, but it's just an idea. Most of my ideas that I come up with are not generally doable anyway.

Nobody will use an alternate DNS system if it breaks the *entire rest of the internet*.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
No, we won't be selling ICANN domains on BDNS.

Ok, yeah I wouldn't expect you to change the system you're working on. This one is completely different & there's a market for .p2p like there is for a .bit the BitShares DNS is much better than Namecoin, so the current version will be a success for sure. 

But I guess a future version could try this, if this approach may appealed to someone else who might be thinking of starting a decentralised DNS system, but it's just an idea. Most of my ideas that I come up with are not generally doable anyway. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 03:45:20 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
A bold move to be sure... but also one that is inviting scammers looking to setup a site that mirrors apple.com and collects CC cards.

Yes, this is the biggest one.

But to me, it's not that big an issue. Because everyone will be clear the decentralised BitShares DNS .com is not the same as a centralised ICANN .com unless it's endorsed by the latter.

If BitShares DNS is marketed as a completely separate DNS system where all the domains are newly available and may or may not be owned by the same owners of the centralised ICANN.com then the chance of me, who is terrible with computers handing over money to Amazon.com is about the same as me handing money to Amazon.blueberry. unless one of them is endorsed at the amazon.com site that I access via google chrome that I already trust.

I would maybe have a clear Buyer Beware sign though on the interface.

Buyer Beware: BitShares DNS is a decentralised completely separate DNS system to the one you are used to accessing via say google chrome or explorer. Amazon.com on BitShares DNS may not be owned by the same people who own Amazon.com on ICANN unless they are endorsed by them.

I would also make the top 10-100 000 BitShares DNS .com and other TLD domains very expensive at the start of the DAC.

So when users try to go to Amazon.com for the first year of the DAC they will just see a for sale sign with a minimum opening auction bid maybe even in the $  thousands.  (Declining every month)

This way users will become very familiar that these are different .com's and they are for sale to anybody
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 03:39:34 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline bytemaster

A bold move to be sure... but also one that is inviting scammers looking to setup a site that mirrors apple.com and collects CC cards. 

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Just wanted to say I wouldn't pick orange - its difficult to see.

Yes I agree.

I don't know what colour though. Red means danger. Purple is what a link looks like when you've already visited it in current search engines. And green is what the URL looks like under the name when you do a normal search and the https: is usually green.

First, what is BDSN for god sake? – Google suggests I misspelled BDSM, and it does not look like you mean ‘Berkeley Digital Seismic Network’

Second – we will have an excellent platform to parallel sell quit claim deeds for prime real estate in New York, LA, Moscow, Tokyo and where ever it is profitable.  It might turn this side business is even more profitable who knows.

You're right, Oops I was meant to be writing BDNS, it's just I think I've seen Toast referring to it by that abbreviation. I'll ammend my stuff to BitShares DNS in the post above.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 03:08:05 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
First, what is BDSN for god sake? – Google suggests I misspelled BDSM, and it does not look like you mean ‘Berkeley Digital Seismic Network’

Second – we will have an excellent platform to parallel sell quit claim deeds for prime real estate in New York, LA, Moscow, Tokyo and where ever it is profitable.  It might turn this side business is even more profitable who knows.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

sumantso

Just wanted to say I wouldn't pick orange - its difficult to see.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
All existing browsers link to one ICANN system. So we're used to telling the difference between domains by their extension. But this is a whole new superior decentralised system. It's not a leap for people to understand that domains are only owned by their ICANN owners on the decentralised BitShares DNS if they're endorsed by them. 

People will know Apple.com on BDNS isn't Apple.com on ICANN unless it's endorsed the latter. Just like we know apple.net may not be apple.com

However having the same Rolls Royce domain name that's going to be hitting the crypto-currency user market right from the start is immediately valuable.

Apple.com might show people breaking their iphones when blockchain was blocked. That's a lot more damaging than doing something on Apple.p2p and generates a lot more interest from users. 

Then in forum replies you just write
'Hey have you seen this on Apple.com?, hysterical!"

(People will quickly learn oh Apple.com means it's the one on BitShares DNS & the link could even hot link to the BitShares DNS download & quick marketing page.)

In Ideal world, our browser would identify both systems so Apple or Apple.com would take you to Apple.com in BitShares DNS and a search for Apple or Apple.com (if it hadn't been auctioned yet) would return both -

Apple.com 
Currently available. Minimum opening bid $800.Next 25% Decrease 01/09.

Apple.com
Apple designs and creates iPod and iTunes, Mac laptop and desktop computers, the OS X operating system, and the revolutionary iPhone and iPad.

Once Apple has been sold a search may return -

Apple.com
Hey Apple,  you dumb idiots blocking Blockchain users. I've got your domain on the DNS system we're all moving to. 'How do you like them apples!?'   

Apple.com
Apple designs and creates iPod and iTunes, Mac laptop and desktop computers, the OS X operating system, and the revolutionary iPhone and iPad.

This is also a much simpler system, and more marketable.

BitShares DNS - A superior system with all the exisiting domains newly available! But a BitShares DNS .com domain can't be seized or blocked and your customers can use it with much more security and privacy than an ICANN one.

In this we'll be offering a system with all the same TLD's people are familiar with using and see as having value. The only caveat is that a domain on the superior BitShares DNS system might not be the same as one from the inferior ICANN DNS system unless it's endorsed by them but I think this is easy to understand.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 07:54:01 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
To me, BitShares DNS s acting like it invented a browser window with some new complicated TLD system, & added security features and you want to make adoption as seamless as possible (Like chrome vs. some other browser)  but there's no need, unlike crypto, the gateway between the two couldn't be simpler. So to me we're underselling ourselves by not making all .com's and .orgs newly available on a superior system. (At the moment it's like we're sharedropping our most valuable product onto an inferior ICANN.)

A .com on BitShares DNS has so much value because, once you have that your online brand can never be seized where as in ICANN they can take your online brand name away from you at any time. That is valuable, don't give it away for free!  The real $ are in selling .com & .org domains - the Rolls Royce TLD of value, status and recognition.

BitShares.org on ICANN may be blocked/seized at some point in the future. Wouldn't BitShares.org want to secure it's brand on BitShares DNS where it can never be touched/blocked by TPTB and where it is much more secure and private for it's users? I think BitShares.org would be willing to to pay & bid for BitShares.org on BitShares DNS.

Apple.com might not care about Apple.p2p but if we have a new superior DNS system that is growing in popularity with crypto-currency types and people who generally dissaprove of Big Brother then Apple.com will care about not owning Apple.com A LOT! If Ethereum.org doesn't secure Ethereum.org on the DNS system of the future, that's their loss not BitShares DNS!

----------------------------------

BitShares DNS - 'We're the decentralised orange one'

Everyone associates the existing TLD's with a blue colour, when you share them, or when you google/Yahoo them. By making ours Yahoo.com and BitShares DNS being a separate opt in browser everyone will know yahoo.com is not necessarily yahoo.com but there's a lot of value in an exact brand name.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately new businesses may not be able to build a strong brand identity around our .p2p TLD

-.P2P is unknown and has little value.
-.P2P the ICANN TLD could be bought/blocked at any time

Existing businesses wll already have a more well known ICANN TLD like Amazon.com or coinmarketcap.com that they've built their online brand and presence around, which they'd like to keep.  It's far easier for them to replicate that online presence & brand using their same TLD on BitShares DNS.

Instead of saying visit us at Bitshares.org or Bitshares.p2p  We could want to say  - 'Visit us at BitShares.org (Also on BitShares DNS)   

Now the rush will be on to secure the same TLD you brand your business by on BitShares DNS!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While BitShares DNS is new and has little traffic, it solves all of the problems associated with ICANN. If it starts gaining traction within the crypto market, it will be incredibly important for businesses to future proof their online brand by securing their existing .com or .org  brand that they've worked hard to build on BitShares DNS, the DNS of the future!

Given the growing Big Brother trend and free people's antagonism towards it, BitShares DNS could easily be a likely sucessor to ICANN in just a few years and may perhaps be a preferrable choice for your target market, such as crypt-currency enthusiasts right away!  (Your business sales may increase by offering a BitShares DNS verson of your site.)

Will Coinmarketcap.com want to risk having built a brand name only for BitShares DNS to grow in popularity and someone offer a similar site under the brand name he's built?

---------------------------------

Has your  billion dollar poker brand, Pokerstars.com on ICANN been unfairly seized by an over-reaching government and all your customers blocked?

Pokerstars.com is still running!  'BitShares DNS users unnaffected!'

Has the oppressive Turkish government blocked Twitter.com?

Twitter.com is still running fine and is untouchable!  'BitShares DNS users unnaffected!'

Is bitcointalk.org  being spied on &/or having it's security compromised? Use bitcointalk.org for maximum security and privacy.

(In fact, given the tenous nature of Bitcoin legality can any Bitcoin related .com or  .org afford not to also put their online brand on BitShares DNS and will not many of their target market prefer & be comfortable using their well known domains on BitShares DNS in a very short space of time?)

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 03:50:44 pm by Empirical1 »