Author Topic: someone squatting on canonizer name?  (Read 3669 times)

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Names that are transaction addresses have far far less value than typical DNS type names.

BTSX name equals a easier to remember account name.  It also can open up to fraud by using slight alterations that looks the same. (Which is why we have the robohashes)  That is really the only concern.

With TITAN you have no idea who has registered the name.

By starting a thread about it, you might make the other person register it as a delegate.  Otherwise it should be available unless someone squats it again.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
the solution so far is to make names non-transferable, which is not really an optimal solution, but may work to some extent for now. bitshares dns solution to name squatting might be relevant in the future.  in the meantime, solutions like small fees on holding names are not too bad I think?

Offline Riverhead

Bytemaster has eluded to the possibility of maintenance requirements to keep a name.  Something minimal like one transaction a year.  Easy for accounts you actually use but for the people squatting on hundreds of names it'd be a real pain and potentially expensive.  My guess is that if this goes in a lot of the squatted names will open up now that it's known they are non transferable.

You can use a hyphen for a name such as the-canonizer, canonizer-com, etc.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:29:37 pm by Riverhead »

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
we can not make it transferable. in this case everyone who did this, will profit from this. a name is a nice feature but with 6 billion people and millions of companys out there it will a much bigger problem in the future.

I'm sorry for Brent, but I don't see a problem now, I see opportunity.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
we can not make it transferable. in this case everyone who did this, will profit from this. a name is a nice feature but with 6 billion people and millions of companys out there it will a much bigger problem in the future.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I just tried to create an account with the name canonizer.  But it looks like someone is already squatting on that name?

How do I find out who owns that name?  Can I get it?

Is that legal for someone to jump on a name they know someone else will need?

And are periods legal in names?  Can I register canonizer.com?  I just tried, but my wallet gives me this error:

"RPC server error in 'wallet_account_register' unknown account (20006)"

Brent Allsop

I think you're talking about BitShares X?  Yes anyone can register any name & they're not transferrable.

It's a great point though. You'd like to use canonizer as your name, so people can just pay 'canonizer' right?

this is the point Empirical1. The name was already taken.
you will have to use a different name. Toast had the same issue.
i don't know if you can register something with a dot in the name

I know it's the point but it just proves how valuable a brand name is why we should offer addresses like canonizer+ and canonizer+com on the namespaces DAC.

Brent's case even makes a point for somehow making BTSX account names auctionable & tradeable. There's clearly value in the BTSX account name Toast or Canonizer & even for making the account name you have in BTSX stay yours in future X DAC's.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
You cannot! .. its a subaccount and controlled by the master account

com <- masteraccount
can control all subaccounts
i.e.  google.com

Xeldal

You can use the (dot) for sub accounts

You would have to own the username "com" to get canonizer.com

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
I just tried to create an account with the name canonizer.  But it looks like someone is already squatting on that name?

And are periods legal in names?  Can I register canonizer.com?  I just tried, but my wallet gives me this error:

Brent Allsop

I think you're talking about BitShares X?  Yes anyone can register any name & they're not transferrable.

It's a great point though. You'd like to use canonizer as your name, so people can just pay 'canonizer' right?

this is the point Empirical1. The name was already taken.
you will have to use a different name. Toast had the same issue.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile

Brent Allsop

Offline Brent.Allsop

• View Profile
    • Canonizer.com

Brent Allsop

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 05:56:59 pm by Brent.Allsop »