Author Topic: Can BTSX names be made transferrable?  (Read 2227 times)

Offline bitcoinerS

• View Profile
Names will be made "revokable" (you can permanently destroy your own name)

Revokable names coupled with a "hand over" service (destroy/re-register with new owner) would make account names effectively transferable and  tradable.

Account names have value. No point in denying it.
>>> approve bitcoiners

Offline Riverhead

Revokable is effectively transferable though not a true handoff. However I agree they are not valuable.

For example Google would probably have hundreds of accounts, probably numbered like traditional accounts, and internally tracked.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
The best thing *you* can do is stop acting like they have value.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Names will not be made transferrable and will not expire. Names will be made "revokable" (you can permanently destroy your own name) but that's it.

They are made specifically to *not* be transferrable. Think of them as bank account numbers. The best thing we can do is refuse to negotiate with squatters and make the squatters realize how dumb they are for trying.

now there comes kehotee and the bitshares dns feature which alles (hopefully) much like name coin to buy/reserve/auction an namespace/domain for your company .. in there you can simply add the json parameter {"payto" : "btsx:sdgoibssn"} and all the costumer has to do cross-reference from the DNS DAC ..

Right. Namespaces need to be thought through carefully or else we will end up with another .bit
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Cool   :) Yeah I'm sure I knew names weren't transferrable for a definite reason, just got excited when I realised how much value there is even in a BTSX name.

Offline Riverhead

I just mentioned in another thread that there is a possibility names can expire without use (this was talked about during the months leading up to Keyhotee as well). Now that people know they aren't transferable there's no point in squatting and they'll eventually filter back to into the wild.

What would be cool would be to setup a watch on a name so you can see when it's due to expire.  I know I'm making a feature request on non existent functionality but hey, a guy can dream :).

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
we can see als this in the BIP 70 perspective and not 'really' use the account names give on the blockchain .. they are a nice feature but can be chosesn arbitrarily .. much like .. "sdgoibssn" .. the effect is you habe a nice name instead of an ugly address ...

now there comes kehotee and the bitshares dns feature which alles (hopefully) much like name coin to buy/reserve/auction an namespace/domain for your company .. in there you can simply add the json parameter {"payto" : "btsx:sdgoibssn"} and all the costumer has to do cross-reference from the DNS DAC ..

That's how I imagine how things might turn out in future .. but it's just a guess .. it might also be that toast and BM have much bigger plans by now .. who knows ..

anyway .. btsx names will not be transferable and never were intended to be so .. for good reasons .. let's live with it

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I'd recognised the value of having very similiar brand names registerable in the namespace DAC but this post from Brent shows that there's potentially a lot more than 0.1 BTSX of value to be gained from many BTSX names. I know I personally would have paid a lot more for mine & I can see now,  a lot of businesses would want their BTSX account name to be their brand name and for it to be carried over to future X DAC's.

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=6832.msg90656#msg90656

It's probably too late now but there's value in an account name that matches your brand name or your brand.com name too. (Especially if BTSX gets as big as we think it can.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 06:24:14 pm by Empirical1 »