Author Topic: Marketing Director, Brian Page, leaving Bitshares  (Read 19546 times)

Offline Riverhead

BTSX needs momentum; market cap is how the avalanche will start.

BTC is what is today not because of social media presence, trendy ads, political lobbying or clever P2P marketing.

BTC is what it is because there are a few very powerful and connected hands pulling the strings.

We need a few whales, not a bunch of minnows.

I3/Brian are doing this right.
Once I better understood what BitShares was trying to do it made sense that this isn't a tool looking for adoption by the masses. It's a tool for businesses and those that work/play in the ForEx and equities markets.

The DACs built with the toolkit will need to appeal to the masses if that's their market (music vs vote).

I see the marketing of this more like the marketing we see for DuPont, 3M, or Java. It's more about making people aware of the framework than trying to sell it to them so that when a DAC says it's built with BitShares people aren't hearing it for the first time.

With that in mind I too feel I3 is doing this right.

Offline oldman

• View Profile
BTSX needs momentum; market cap is how the avalanche will start.

BTC is what it is today not because of social media presence, trendy ads, political lobbying or clever P2P marketing.

BTC is what it is because there are a few very powerful and connected hands pulling the strings.

We need a few whales, not a bunch of minnows.

I3/Brian are doing this right.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:01:48 pm by OldMan »

Offline soniq

• View Profile
I am confused as to how marketing efforts are supposed to be evaluated by market cap. The relationship is simply corollary. I can not think of how this could be an effective measure of the success of a marketing campaign longterm, nor how you would be able create an efficient contractual relationship between the two parties.

Is there a precedent for this kind of arrangement? Has there been a Fortune 500 company that contracts its marketing companies or pays its marketing department based on fluctuations in its market cap? If so, I would love to see the data on it. If I were a marketing company I would love this arrangement as I could pick the hottest companies as clients, sign a deal, do no real work and just hope that the market effect allows the market cap to increase, and then enjoy success. I would sign as many deals as possible. I am absolutely not suggesting that this happening, but pointing it out as a an obvious potential flaw in this type of structure.

Some of the unseen efforts of a marketing director is shown  in the market cap(as well as the potential of the software). Which indirectly is another marketing/branding strategy as coinmarketcap.com has a  Alexa of 5609 world and 3573 USA.

With two of Bitshares assets in the top 10 on coinmarketcap.com, investors want to be associated  with winners.  And even if people are not investing in Bitshares, it is branding the Bitshares brand, and that is priceless.

This is a great start by the I3 and the marketing team. 

Should we see more published results from the marketing director? possibly? I3 is not going to make everyone happy, no matter what they do.

I think the key to building any franchise or brand with staying power is too build a good solid foundation. The product will sell itself in the end if built properly. So far am I more than satisfied with I3 efforts to grow an idea into the solid foundation of what we have today

I am very excited to be on the Bitshares train :-)
Pr7V9GUm59dtKWXG6RJSymPsyCaCKWwNEj
Soniq on Bitcointalk -- Verified
Bitshares btsx:soniq

Offline bytemaster

I am confused as to how marketing efforts are supposed to be evaluated by market cap. The relationship is simply corollary. I can not think of how this could be an effective measure of the success of a marketing campaign longterm, nor how you would be able create an efficient contractual relationship between the two parties.

Is there a precedent for this kind of arrangement? Has there been a Fortune 500 company that contracts its marketing companies or pays its marketing department based on fluctuations in its market cap? If so, I would love to see the data on it. If I were a marketing company I would love this arrangement as I could pick the hottest companies as clients, sign a deal, do no real work and just hope that the market effect allows the market cap to increase, and then enjoy success. I would sign as many deals as possible. I am absolutely not suggesting that this happening, but pointing it out as a an obvious potential flaw in this type of structure.

This potential "flaw" is not lost on us and has been addressed.  There are specific marketing objectives that are being put into place that must be executed.  Primary focus is to bring money into the system.  The product they are selling is BitUSD / Paypal...  they bring customers stock price goes up.  Very direct relationship for most companies.    Obviously, signing a deal that doesn't require specific actions doesn't make sense.   Paying bonuses based upon performance does.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bitcoinba

• View Profile

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Product also need to scale. I'm hoping they are doing stress tests to find the limits at which it breaks. Ie how big can the block chain get before it falls on itself? I would imagine they plan some way to cleanse the block chain and throw away older unnecessary records.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I would advertise a product the still has to prove that it is working (market peg)

If it does .. marketing is self-running

Offline Riverhead

If I3 offered to pay you to set that up would you? It would allow you to transition from, "Here is what you should have done" to, "Here is what we're doing". This is something for which you seem to have a lot of domain knowledge and passion. Moving from heckler to producer would add a lot of value. Clearly you have some skin in the game, either financial, intellectual, or both, because you're sticking around in spite of your clear dissatisfaction with Invictus' leadership.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Yes, but how does his new company earn profits? How does it acquire funds to pay its expenses? From whence its cash flow? I'm just trying to understand the business model.

That would be for Brian and his partners to disclose as they see fit.

:)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
Instead of throwing out numbers of your high hopes and frankly unrealistic short term goals, layout the plans on how you intend to achieve those goals.

You do realize you could have taken out a full page ad in the LA times or a half page ad in the Wall St. Journal for most likely less than you paid the former Marketing Director.

You could've also paid some high twitter followed person a couple grand to mention Bitshares.
Same thing for a popular syndicated radio host to mention it on air.

Or you could organize guerrilla advertising. Pay groups of people to wear Bitshares clothing and walk around their cities. I.e college kids going to bars or games and have them post pictures on twitter. Or pay a guy to stand in Times Square with a sign. Or pay someone 1pts if they are wearing a Bitshares logo visible behind a newscaster open air broadcast a la ESPN on site or Today's show and then link it on Twitter facebook......... These unfortunately take a much larger community, so it's a catch22.

There is a ton of things, you(the guy with the money) needs to proactive and actually spend it on what needs to be done. There is absolutely no reason to spend another dime going to a vacation land "selling" BTSX to bitcoin enthusiasts. You need to sell the world, and the only way to do that is to get them to hear or see the name Bitshares. An infomercial is not going to do that. That is going to get you a "Pfffffffffft, itshares? What does it share" response from a generation of people that still resist the computer.

Offline onceuponatime

hi stan, you are really a excellent "Propaganda Minister"; but I am not easily led to another wrong direction.
the first target of all company should be profit. the same to the new company fo Mr.Bxxx. I guess something changed and you may not tell us everything because of business reason.

OK. could you share more information about the progress and chance for BTSx to co-operate with Overstock?
by the way, why not you to be the next "Propaganda Minister" or marketing dept head? this is not joke.

On the glass half full side, things are improving, getting us listed on more exchanges is a positive step in the right direction https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=6868.0

Our first DAC, BitShares X is no 7 of all crypto-currencies and it was released less than a month ago and still doesn't even have full functionality.

Except for Darkcoin, we're talking about only being behind what I think of as the big 5,  Bitcoin, LiteCoin, Ripple, NXT and PeerCoin & all the spots up to no.3 can be taken VERY quickly.

That is a pretty good place to be at this stage.

1x to 7th Place
  2x to 4th Place
  4x to 3rd Place
10x to 2nd Place

Then people start rebalancing their assets from checking (Bitcoin) to savings (BitShares).

I keep a few percent of my assets in checking.

8).

Everything mentioned here is 100% the way we see it:

Dan laid out our powerful case for Overstock here for everyone including our competitors to read : 

Brian has the assignment to get BTSX into second place ASAP and his team has the incentives and capabilities to do so.  Independently, so does our China team.

We will get to 10x because of the attention we get from reaching 4x
We will get to 4x because of the attention we get from reaching 2x
We will get to 2x because we are in 7th place with almost no marketing
...by bumping Doge who got there with nothing but marketing. 

So, starting from zero, how much marketing should it take to double the number of people who want to own BTSX? 

The planned China and St Martin marketing efforts just have to get the ball rolling.
(And either one of them is able to easily reach 10x more people all by themselves.)

I'd like to say and talk, but there are at least another 1.21 gigaBTSX that are not yet in strong enough hands...

As I hope you know, I have been "all in" with bitshares since the first white paper.
And as long time followers of this forum know, I an not technical, I am of retirement age and did not grow up in a computer environemnt, but I contribute in any way I can. I'll bet I have brought more non-techie people to download bitshares wallets then any other member of this forum. So I think my (unanswered) question is reasonable:

Quote from: oco101 on August 11, 2014, 04:54:25 AM
Quote from: Stan on August 11, 2014, 03:44:10 AM
His company's modest first strategic objective is to double the market cap of BTSX a half-dozen times or so.  I'm betting they will.

+1

Yes, but how does his new company earn profits? How does it acquire funds to pay its expenses? From whence its cash flow? I'm just trying to understand the business model.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
hi stan, you are really a excellent "Propaganda Minister"; but I am not easily led to another wrong direction.
the first target of all company should be profit. the same to the new company fo Mr.Bxxx. I guess something changed and you may not tell us everything because of business reason.

OK. could you share more information about the progress and chance for BTSx to co-operate with Overstock?
by the way, why not you to be the next "Propaganda Minister" or marketing dept head? this is not joke.

On the glass half full side, things are improving, getting us listed on more exchanges is a positive step in the right direction https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=6868.0

Our first DAC, BitShares X is no 7 of all crypto-currencies and it was released less than a month ago and still doesn't even have full functionality.

Except for Darkcoin, we're talking about only being behind what I think of as the big 5,  Bitcoin, LiteCoin, Ripple, NXT and PeerCoin & all the spots up to no.3 can be taken VERY quickly.

1x to 7th Place
  2x to 4th Place
  4x to 3rd Place
10x to 2nd Place

Then people start rebalancing their assets from checking (Bitcoin) to savings (BitShares).

8).

Everything mentioned here is 100% the way we see it:

Dan laid out our powerful case for Overstock here for everyone including our competitors to read : 

Brian has the assignment to get BTSX into second place ASAP and his team has the incentives and capabilities to do so.  Independently, so does our China team.

We will get to 10x because of the attention we get from reaching 4x
We will get to 4x because of the attention we get from reaching 2x
We will get to 2x because we are in 7th place with almost no marketing
...by bumping Doge who got there with nothing but marketing. 

So, starting from zero, how much marketing should it take to double the number of people who want to own BTSX? 

The planned China and St Martin marketing efforts just have to get the ball rolling.
(And either one of them is able to easily reach 10x more people all by themselves.)

I'd like to say and talk, but there are at least another 1.21 gigaBTSX that are not yet in strong enough hands...

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:05:03 am by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline willaim

• Never forget your dream!
    • View Profile

1x to 7th Place
  2x to 4th Place
  4x to 3rd Place
10x to 2nd Place

8).
Please contribute PTS to this address if my info is useful for you: PjjYtWpwmwEMA1MK9mjpDpSYzkTMPgjm7X

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

1x to 7th Place
  2x to 4th Place
  4x to 3rd Place
10x to 2nd Place

8).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:33:07 pm by Stan »

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso

This is very true. It's not all bad the ideas and technology seems to be moving at a rapid pace now(great work).

Good Luck Brian,
Hello Charles.........