Author Topic: Questions for August 22  (Read 6912 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

What happens when a block is missed?  Is it skipped, or is does the next block signer shift their broadcast time backwards ?
just skipped .. there is hole punched in the 10sec raster :)

Offline gamey

• View Profile

What happens when a block is missed?  Is it skipped, or is does the next block signer shift their broadcast time backwards ?
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline fuzzy

Well I just realized that I won't be around Friday either.  There was a large group of people last week, so if anyone cares to show up to have a pow-wow, feel free.  Maybe even record it if it is interesting ?

So.. continue with the questions in this thread.  There is also a reddit thread but I have reddit blocked due being a time waste of a site. :)  Getting more activity on reddit would be preferable, I just wanted a list here for myself and other questions people might have and can't make it to reddit.

Multiple locations is nice, a single one would be preferable.  I think Jabba might have an idea that will help with this though and (potentially) make it unnecessary for users to go to Reddit as they will be able to do it through BeyondBitcoinX.net. 

I'll be at Cryptolina on the 15th and 16th.

Any way to get a couple plugs while you are there?  It would be nice to get the team's newly forming connections onto the Mumble Server for a couple hangouts.  Who knows what possibilities might spark to life in this way...
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Well I just realized that I won't be around Friday either.  There was a large group of people last week, so if anyone cares to show up to have a pow-wow, feel free.  Maybe even record it if it is interesting ?

So.. continue with the questions in this thread.  There is also a reddit thread but I have reddit blocked due being a time waste of a site. :)  Getting more activity on reddit would be preferable, I just wanted a list here for myself and other questions people might have and can't make it to reddit.

Offline bytemaster

I'll be at Cryptolina on the 15th and 16th. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline nathansobo

• View Profile
* Can Daniel delve into the reasons why he believes that BitUSD and BitGold will track the price of the real assets? I would love to hear a full discussion of the game theory behind the hypothesis. What are the common critiques of the theory and how would you address them?

* Are there plans for making BitShares more accessible to new users? The sign up process was pretty brutal with the requirement to have funds to register a name before I could send funds to myself.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Delegates MUST have their wallets unlocked as they ned the privkey to sign the blocks

Offline gamey

• View Profile
What I am saying is I realize there is a locked and unlocked mode in the CLI/terminal version which is what I was curious about.  Although it is a good thing to always remind people to not run delegates in GUI.

I still do not know if a wallet being locked prevents it from acting as a delegate.  I would guess that it does not.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
wallets can be closes in the terminal version too .. usually a session goes like this

Code: [Select]
./bitshares_client
wallet_open default
wallet_unlock 99999999 foobar-secured-password

The 99999999 indicate the time the wallet stays unlocked ... can chose a much higher number (up to 40 years) in the console verison than compared to the gui version(couple of hours)
That is a safty because gui is not meant for delegates!

Offline gamey

• View Profile
delegates should be run in daemon mode .. no GUI!!

Wallets have concept of closed and not closed even in CLI mode ?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
delegates should be run in daemon mode .. no GUI!!

Offline gamey

• View Profile
As a delegate, am I helping the network by keeping my bitsharesx wallet open?

As a user ?

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:12:04 am by gamey »