Thinking about our current predicament with the botnets. Going to take some work.
There are some legitimate users who have extremely high rates, however how do we tell who is who?
Possible short term fix - pooled resource distribution payouts. PRDP
This payout scheme means that some workers get paid more for their work and others get paid less for their work.
1) Calculate the PTS earned over an hour period
2) Consider an average baseline computer - 100hpm? Calculate how many shares this type of computer would return in an average hour period.
3) Or do a frequency distribution, discarding any outliers so the data matched a normal curve, a lower bound would then be set 1-3 standard deviations away from the mean.
4) Calculate the value of a share (PTS for the period / Computers connected)
5) Calculate the value each computer earns. If shares submitted > lower bound 1 share else shares/lowerbound.
6) Any remainder after the calculations goes into the calculation for the next hour.
1) All pools set their fees to 99.9%. This will effectively stop the bots from mining, and if they continue, then the pools get a nice payout
2) Each pool sets up a secondary pool (separate IP) through which everyone else can connect.
3) As soon as the pool rate reaches X, change the fee on the existing port to 99.9% and open up a new port. Announce the changed port via usual channels.
4) Pool operators simply need to add a port forwarding mechanism in front of their pools with 2 pools running in the background. As the pools become maxed, change the port forwarding rules (Old port -> 99.9% pool. New port -> normal pool)
5) Take 90% of the earnings from the 99.9% pool and distribute it evenly to the regular users as a once a day payout.
6) For the solo miners with large farms, set up a virtual proxy. Point all your machines to this single machine, and change the port forwarding rules accordingly. If any bot farmers go this route, pools can quickly identify them and point them to the 99.9% pool based on IP (or IP ban). Individuals with large farms can contact pool operators to get this restriction lifted.
1) Ypool - institute a second level verification of users and a 3 miner limit per individual (miner not worker). If users want to raise this limit, they will have to contact ypool with an explanation. Anything above the limit gets kicked into a 99.9% fee pool.
2) Beer, Coyote, and PTS - implement a shared password on your pool. Users who connect with a generic password get kicked off to the 99.9% pool, while users with the correct password get the normal pool. You can share the password via private messaging on the forums.
3) All pools, should take the earnings from the 99.9% fee pool and distribute a portion of it to the miners