Author Topic: Stellar - not a fan, but a good case study for sharedrops  (Read 4943 times)

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile

(I think Stellars only hope is to pretend (Scam) they have given away half a billion more but don't put them on the market or really crush the level of sharedrop they were originally intending.)

Stellar's CAP is holding up well but their price and more importantly their 24 hour $ traded volume is constantly falling. This is inconsistent with having nearly double the amount of stellar in circulation as last week imo.

I think the crushed sharedrop plus the combination of an invite system that is applied by some discretionary geographic/demographic criteria makes it very hard for you to track where all the new Stellar is going.

So I think CMC is getting a feed that Stellar is releasing more airdrops to the market (which raises their CAP) but not all these new stellar are actually being released or circulated imo. Time will tell.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:48:40 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Bought at 700k sold at 2.8 mill.. Finally. The perfect trade.  8)

Anyone else getting richer and better at this at the slow end of the exponential?
Year ago I'd have put 0.1 BTC into it, now I put a focused and more valuable half into it ..

Two years from now you guys..

At any rate, what is the sharedrop rate for Stellar?
I might want to get back in time for the next launch.. soon as bitcoin picks up the shades.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:35:50 pm by CLains »

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
The Sharedrop, does at least get it talked about a lot, too expensive for me though. I also don't think with 15000% inflation still to come any level of quality would help. Much better to do a fork of same thing with no inflation and let other coin/DAC advertise the technology/get it talked about.

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
Many have been strong proponents of the large sharedrop type approaches that Stellar is attempting https://www.stellar.org/about/mandate/#Stellar_distribution

There has also been a lot of media hype and press around their launch and they also 'supposedly' got a $3 million injection for only 2% equity so they have some funds to work with.

They also have Jed McCaleb as a board member and co-founder of Dogecoin, Jackson Palmer as an advisor, among others, so if any team is capable of pulling this strategy off, it's probably these guys, https://www.stellar.org/about/

So now we have a front row seat to the type of sharedrop strategy some have been advocating.
Personally I'm not a fan of these approaches, but it's worth keeping an eye on, because if they succeed then we can learn things and apply them in future DAC's.

Sharedrops are fine but you also need a compelling product. What about the Stellar technology would make people hold onto the shares? What is the utility?

right now, no utility.  the stellar foundation is focused on distribution at the moment.  but when it is fully functional it will have some of ripple's features plus other features from the stellar devs:

https://ripple.com/ripple_primer.pdf

https://github.com/codius/codius/wiki/Smart-Oracles:-A-Simple,-Powerful-Approach-to-Smart-Contracts

stellar is a ripple fork but is for regular users.  ripple labs is going for the banks and financial institutions.  these two systems will probably be synergetic going forward.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Many have been strong proponents of the large sharedrop type approaches that Stellar is attempting https://www.stellar.org/about/mandate/#Stellar_distribution

There has also been a lot of media hype and press around their launch and they also 'supposedly' got a $3 million injection for only 2% equity so they have some funds to work with.

They also have Jed McCaleb as a board member and co-founder of Dogecoin, Jackson Palmer as an advisor, among others, so if any team is capable of pulling this strategy off, it's probably these guys, https://www.stellar.org/about/

So now we have a front row seat to the type of sharedrop strategy some have been advocating.
Personally I'm not a fan of these approaches, but it's worth keeping an eye on, because if they succeed then we can learn things and apply them in future DAC's.

Sharedrops are fine but you also need a compelling product. What about the Stellar technology would make people hold onto the shares? What is the utility?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
also thinking that stellar will be in the top 10 at coinmarket cap in a year or so.  we'll see.

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
sure. but way better than ripple's distribution model.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
out of 392,063 sign ups, 102,922 people are on thr waiting list. 

https://www.stellar.org/stats/

not bad overall.

Not bad 670 million given away so far, only 15000% more inflation to come to come in the next few years... :)

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
out of 392,063 sign ups, 102,922 people are on thr waiting list. 

https://www.stellar.org/stats/

not bad overall.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I think it will work.I am not a fan of huge air drops but no one can deny freebies of any kind get you noticed.

I have been looking but cant seem to find what is the current $ value of there airdrop?

I saw this on BTT

They just created a demand for it, by giving out only 125 stellar now.
Initially they gave out 6900 stellar, for any new account(who would link fb and their emails), and created a distribution.
Now they give 125, creating a shortage, so there is a demand, and prices increase. They can now easily sell their premined stellar at high prices.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=733999.msg8295491#msg8295491

I don't know if that's part of the initial startegy, but that's a big drop, giving away 7000 to giving away 125. ( A 98% drop!) Maybe they're learning the hard way about giving away money for free but I'm not sure.

So I think if that's right in $ terms they're down to giving away $0.5  :)

wrong.  they receive 125 now then get more a few days later as there is a huge waiting list.  the stellar crew didn't expect this much sign ups in a span of a week.  they expected 10,000 sign ups in the first month, but it's already over 300,000 in a few days. 

they aim to distribute around 10 usd worth of STR per account.  so how much STR you get would depend on it's price on the market.

They can't give 300 000 people $10 worth of STR ($3 million) from a coin that's only worth $2.3 million so I think even those 1st week share-dropees are going to be waiting a while :)

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
I won't invest in them but it is very cool to watch. Think they can break the top ten market cap by the end of NEXT month?

I doubt it. I think in the past, the way these sharedrops looked like they had a bit of promise was by Coinmarketcap listing the total supply of coins that would be released after all sharedrops and multiplying the shareprice like that. (So Ripple and Auroracoin had ludicrous valuations at a point.)

It looks like cmc.com is wise to that and is getting an accurate supply now though.

(I think Stellars only hope is to pretend (Scam) they have given away half a billion more but don't put them on the market or really crush the level of sharedrop they were originally intending.)
I think the obvious answer is to crush the sharedrop level. They have created some momentum but I agree it will be short lived.
Their doesn't seem to be any revelations of tech here just some interesting marketing tactics.  I do think they have created a short term cash cow. But it's life will be very short lived.

again, the goal is to activate people's wallets.  whatever they do with their extra STR is their decision.  the price of STR won't really matter at this point.  and STR's like XRP's are not intended solely as a store of value.

if you want a glimpse of stellar's tech, take a look at ripple.  :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 01:43:30 am by lucky331 »

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
I think it will work.I am not a fan of huge air drops but no one can deny freebies of any kind get you noticed.

I have been looking but cant seem to find what is the current $ value of there airdrop?

I saw this on BTT

They just created a demand for it, by giving out only 125 stellar now.
Initially they gave out 6900 stellar, for any new account(who would link fb and their emails), and created a distribution.
Now they give 125, creating a shortage, so there is a demand, and prices increase. They can now easily sell their premined stellar at high prices.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=733999.msg8295491#msg8295491

I don't know if that's part of the initial startegy, but that's a big drop, giving away 7000 to giving away 125. ( A 98% drop!) Maybe they're learning the hard way about giving away money for free but I'm not sure.

So I think if that's right in $ terms they're down to giving away $0.5  :)

wrong.  they receive 125 now then get more a few days later as there is a huge waiting list.  the stellar crew didn't expect this much sign ups in a span of a week.  they expected 10,000 sign ups in the first month, but it's already over 300,000 in a few days. 

they aim to distribute around 10 usd worth of STR per account.  so how much STR you get would depend on it's price on the market. 

Offline lucky331

• View Profile

the huge 'air drop' may hurt STR's price in the beginning, as some people would tend to sell them the minute they received them.  but you overlooked the fact that they now have an activated stellar wallet, and the can come back anytime to use it.  this is an issue ripple had problems with, that's why they stopped going after regular users and went for banks and financial institutions.  stellar aims to fix that issue.

also remember that most of the features in stellar are still locked.  people will have plenty of reasons to come back and use the network.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
I won't invest in them but it is very cool to watch. Think they can break the top ten market cap by the end of NEXT month?

I doubt it. I think in the past, the way these sharedrops looked like they had a bit of promise was by Coinmarketcap listing the total supply of coins that would be released after all sharedrops and multiplying the shareprice like that. (So Ripple and Auroracoin had ludicrous valuations at a point.)

It looks like cmc.com is wise to that and is getting an accurate supply now though.

I think the obvious answer is to crush the sharedrop level. They have created some momentum but I agree it will be short lived.
Their doesn't seem to be any revelations of tech here just some interesting marketing tactics.  I do think they have created a short term cash cow. But it's life will be very short lived.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:38:22 pm by Empirical1 »