Author Topic: We passed Peercoin today on coinmarket cap?  (Read 7062 times)

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
How are we supposed to get market adoption when the bitUSD is not yet there ...

Also the "market adoption" (if you want to call it that) of Bitcoin took what? 4-5 years? ... the btsx chain is out for not even a month now .. I think we are doing pretty good ... but sure .. more can be done .. as usual :)

The reason it took Bitcoin so long is because Bitcoin early adopters are the political fringe/extreme. The people around Bitcoin scared a lot of ordinary people away for a very long time.

We definitely should not follow the marketing plan of Bitcoin. Definitely get the word out to the crypto-community but Bitshares should decouple itself from the stigma of Bitcoin so that it can survive independently of it.

If Bitshares is seen as just another kind of Bitcoin it will fail.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bodenliu

• View Profile
Oh yhea ..
http://www.reddit.com/r/BitShares/comments/2dfcv7/bitsharesx_to_pass_peercoin_in_marketcap/

This isn't exactly good news. Money is leaving the ecosystem as a whole and adoption rate has slowed. Bitcoin prices are down despite good news and infrastructure development.

In my opinion not enough effort has gone into promoting mainstream adoption. How are we supposed to reach the people who aren't crypto-anarchists, anarcho-capitalists, or anarchists at all?

They are looking for return on investment, to make money, to invest, to get rich, or there is something they've always wanted to do but could never do before until now.

I am starting to see wisdom in the infomercial strategy. Apple invented the first personal computer and had to rely on infomercials. The people who were supposed to buy the computer didn't know what a computer was yet and it's the same situation with us.

Most people don't know what Bitcoin is or why they need it.

agree

Offline nathansobo

• View Profile
> I hate myself when I think 'marketing'

Nothing wrong with marketing so long as you tell the truth. People need to be informed.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I hate myself when I think 'marketing' but:
Here is my thought - BTS X is so fast and so good, that we can just advertise the system as decentralized exchange. Leaving the inner workings (i.e. blockchain based technology) for the time when somebody is already interested, skipping the need to explain BTC first (not only daunting task but resulting in less then 10% success rate in my experience) and grabbing the attention and interest of a bigger, much bigger audience.

After posting that I will ran away from marketing as fast as I can...

Yea, I tend to agree with this.  A lot depends on who you are targetting.  I need to revisit my thread about demographics.  Some audiences you skip over BTC, some you don't.  It is all pretty obvious if you stop to think about it.  Once I make my list of demographics maybe we can like sorta figure them out which ones would help Bitshares X grow.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Bitcoinfan

• View Profile
Oh yhea ..
http://www.reddit.com/r/BitShares/comments/2dfcv7/bitsharesx_to_pass_peercoin_in_marketcap/

I am starting to see wisdom in the infomercial strategy. Apple invented the first personal computer and had to rely on infomercials. The people who were supposed to buy the computer didn't know what a computer was yet and it's the same situation with us.

Luckybit,

In what era did apple use infomercials that contributed to their success.  I certainly don't recall Steve jobs ever relying on infomercials.

I'm also skeptical that targeting the older generation who normally buy vaccumm cleaners and p90x videos would be a good tactic.  Those who are comfortable with te internet don't watch info commercials.  They stream all their desired contents

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

I hate myself when I think 'marketing' but:
Here is my thought - BTS X is so fast and so good, that we can just advertise the system as decentralized exchange. Leaving the inner workings (i.e. blockchain based technology) for the time when somebody is already interested, skipping the need to explain BTC first (not only daunting task but resulting in less then 10% success rate in my experience) and grabbing the attention and interest of a bigger, much bigger audience.

After posting that I will ran away from marketing as fast as I can...
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile

This isn't exactly good news. Money is leaving the ecosystem as a whole and adoption rate has slowed. Bitcoin prices are down despite good news and infrastructure development.

Yeah it's crypto-currency negative. I think mainstream advertising will be good for a Western audience, but I think the real kicker will be another trigger event like Cyprus on a bigger scale that will really drive DAC & crypto-currency adoption in the West. 

POS & DPOS does seem to be holding up well against POW though.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
How are we supposed to get market adoption when the bitUSD is not yet there ...

Also the "market adoption" (if you want to call it that) of Bitcoin took what? 4-5 years? ... the btsx chain is out for not even a month now .. I think we are doing pretty good ... but sure .. more can be done .. as usual :)

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Oh yhea ..

In my opinion not enough effort has gone into promoting mainstream adoption. How are we supposed to reach the people who aren't crypto-anarchists, anarcho-capitalists, or anarchists at all?

They are looking for return on investment, to make money, to invest, to get rich, or there is something they've always wanted to do but could never do before until now.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:18:21 pm by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline oco101

• View Profile
I am so excited to see the new trading GUI .. I only know cass is involved which makes me think that gui will revolutionize crypto trading!!!

I can't hold my excitement for much longer ...

wow :) Now it's really a challenge to get new design kick ass ... i'm a bit scared ^^

In cass we trust :)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
I am so excited to see the new trading GUI .. I only know cass is involved which makes me think that gui will revolutionize crypto trading!!!

wow :) Now it's really a challenge to get new design kick ass ... i'm a bit scared ^^
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
This is a premature celebration. All top 10 crypto except NXT took a downward trend. The real gauge would be the if Bitshare starts trading BitAssets.

The nice thing about premature celebrations is we get to do them again.  :)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc