Author Topic: Ethereum & BitShares Partnership?  (Read 58521 times)

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
I just noticed super3, was Storj also represented at this gathering?
Email me at adam@letstalkbitcoin.com

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
I've complained many times about provocative thread titles that mislead people, specifically coming from Bytemaster, since forever. 

I agree with Adam here... Dan should know better.

For somebody that posts 75-100 post a day, I refused to post in this thread up to now.  Above is more or less the reason I did so.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/2e0q0a/bitshares_guy_here_sorry_we_caused_such_a_stir_we/

Good mea culpa, although it seems Vitalik didn't agree quite as much as you thought, more that he was just very open (probably because they are actively seeking solutions and not tied into anything yet)

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I think this is making a mountain out of a molehill...
Let's keep some perspective here :).

+5%

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:46:06 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline vikram

I've complained many times about provocative thread titles that mislead people, specifically coming from Bytemaster, since forever. 

For somebody that posts 75-100 post a day, I refused to post in this thread up to now.  Above is more or less the reason I did so.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/2e0q0a/bitshares_guy_here_sorry_we_caused_such_a_stir_we/

Offline Riverhead

I think this is making a mountain out of a molehill. If V had wanted to get the temperature of the Etherium community about the prospect of working with the Bitshares team I could see a similarly title thread.

Let's keep some perspective here :).

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
This thread is our outstretched hand of friendship, an attempt to mellow down the competitive urges and set a new tone for the industry.  Let's not be in such a hurry to build a fence across that bridge.   :)

So, change the name of the thread to:

'Our open hand to Ethereum!'
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Some people build fences, others build bridges.

This thread is our outstretched hand of friendship, an attempt to mellow down the competitive urges and set a new tone for the industry.  Let's not be in such a hurry to build a fence across that bridge.   :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:35:55 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
I've complained many times about provocative thread titles that mislead people, specifically coming from Bytemaster, since forever.  This is another example of a thread that just should not have been posted.  Projects like Ethereum (and this should also be the case for Bitshares) have long term plans and strategies that they follow and execute.  A meeting like the one described here is incredibly common, everybody wants to collaborate but to suggest that a market-changing event will (or even that it might) come out of it, unless agreed on in advance by both parties looks like the one spreading the word is trying to "borrow the thunder" of the one that was planning to keep it quiet.   Now any announcement that COULD be made, will be overshadowed by this pre-announcement. 

Of course, this is Open Source so there was never much of a chance that Ethereum would have a formal partnership with Bitshares - They can just take the parts they like and ignore the social contract since the only people that would impact negatively would be the Bitshares community, which is a fraction the size of the ethereum community and pre-order base.

So with that in mind, really all you could hope to do with this announcement is to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  You had a nice, productive and foundational encounter with Vitalik.  You probably undid almost all the damage from the Gotcha video from Florida (the ethereum guys thought that was a really low blow), but then you reward him for making the trip out to see you by raising the idea of a merger or partnership which you admit was not even discussed along with talking about the financial rewards that would be given to this community (where does that come from?  at the expense of everyone who is getting it and who is not in this community) which then requires Vitalik to spend his time doing damage control, costing both time and credibility within his organization.  Next time will he come see you, or will he say "it's more trouble than it's worth?"

I am not suggesting you undertake a policy of GIANT SECRECY, just that you really try to filter your posting on the forum because it has a very real impact outside of the forum, and that's your real problem.  People here already love you no matter what you do.

Offline Riverhead

open discussions.. Dan even mentioned that future partnerships on mutually beneficial projects like Bitshares Turing could still happen in the future.
+5%  The forking future is bright!

Offline yellowecho

But if you now know there is going to be no deal.. keeping it as the intro of this thread.. seems a little shady. lol

You think it's shady because he didn't update the title of the thread to correct something he never said?  That's silly.  An official partnership may not be happening but Dan and V still have a good professional relationship and will continue their open discussions.. Dan even mentioned that future partnerships on mutually beneficial projects like Bitshares Turing could still happen in the future.
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
The only thing shady is the hostility of those against even the idea of collaboration.
+5%
hostility (a sign of your own weakness) and arrogance (the believe to know everything and have no own flaws) always looses in the end...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:20:14 pm by delulo »

Offline hughmanwho

• View Profile
So I talked to Ethereum.. they basically told me that they are not interested in a partnership..  and that they felt that this announcement of a partnership was shady.

Need proof?  Comes from Ethereum core coder:
http://insightsintoamodernworld.blogspot.de/2014/08/ethereum-collaborations.html

Who announced a formal partnership?   All that this thread was discussing is the potential for a partnership and ways to collaborate (hence the "?" in the title).  Looks like our community is very open minded and looking for the best technology. V. is also very open minded.

The only thing shady is the hostility of those against even the idea of collaboration.

Shady was not my word.. it came from someone on Ethereum Team.. maybe referencing it appearing like BitShares was discussing a deal that was made.. even though none was.

But if you now know there is going to be no deal.. keeping it as the intro of this thread.. seems a little shady. lol

Offline yellowecho

Who announced a formal partnership?   All that this thread was discussing is the potential for a partnership and ways to collaborate (hence the "?" in the title).  Looks like our community is very open minded and looking for the best technology. V. is also very open minded.

+5% I love how open minded the community here is.  Very refreshing compared to other communities.
696c6f766562726f776e696573