Author Topic: Ethereum & BitShares Partnership?  (Read 58514 times)

Offline yellowecho

Quote from: pendragon3
Informal collaboration would be fine. A formal partnership may not be workable, as Sunny seems to not be one to show his id or face publicly.

Yeah I agree.  Sunny is a brilliant developer but he is very careful about maintaining his anonymity.  I could see him acting as a contractor but not as a core team member in collaboration.. I'd love to be proven wrong though
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline Pheonike

That would be a great project to create a BOINC DAC if feasible.

Offline Riverhead

I would much rather use my computing power to fold protein than to do some pointless SHA-256 hashing.

+5%  That was my attraction to XPM. The coin minting was just a side affect of the primary purpose (pun not intended). I haven't looked into other uses of hashing power (like folding proteins) but it makes sense if they agree to buy coins at certain price. Effectively renting your hashing power. Maybe that's the way it already works. If it is than I have a few extra PC's kicking about (old mining rigs) that could be helping science.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
The main objection and concern I have for Proof-Of-Stake, is that it disallows mining.
It is impossible to mine NXT coin, for example,  if you don't own any.
This blocks the community from growth.

do you mine bitcoin?

There is a plan to allow people to mine Bitshares. You can virtually mine PoS so even miners have it better with PoS because with virtual mining you can actually mine stuff which is beneficial for society.

You can mine BOINC and earn Bitshares if we set it up. This way you could search for aliens or fold protein while you earn Bitshares. The way virtual mining works is you do some computation and then it sells that computation to buy Bitshares.

That computation does not have to be Proof of Work, it's not restricted to cryptocurrency.

And here is an example: http://www.foldingcoin.net/

I would much rather use my computing power to fold protein than to do some pointless SHA-256 hashing.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
In any event V. and I have plans to meet every couple of weeks for a brainstorming session and hopefully record our discussions as we work through complex issues in the space.

Knew you guys would be a great fit! You deserve to be invigorated :D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 04:01:15 pm by CLains »

clout

The main objection and concern I have for Proof-Of-Stake, is that it disallows mining.

do you mine bitcoin?

Offline pendragon3

Someone in the Peercoin Reddit sub just posted this. He's suggesting that Dan, Vitalik, and Sunny work together. Whether that happens or not, this thread is good exposure for Bitshares on the Peercoin sub. Please chime in with your best group hug:

http://www.reddit.com/r/peercoin/comments/2dq2wi/bitshares_and_ethereum_are_considering/

Informal collaboration would be fine. A formal partnership may not be workable, as Sunny seems to not be one to show his id or face publicly.

Offline Technologov

• View Profile

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Someone in the Peercoin Reddit sub just posted this. He's suggesting that Dan, Vitalik, and Sunny work together. Whether that happens or not, this thread is good exposure for Bitshares on the Peercoin sub. Please chime in with your best group hug:

http://www.reddit.com/r/peercoin/comments/2dq2wi/bitshares_and_ethereum_are_considering/

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
For all the differences  the projects have I believe you have even more in common. You guys seem to agree on many items in principle its just the way you are attempting to solve the problems that are different. The above photo of you two just walking and talking, working to solve the issue's that both platforms are working towards is truly great.

I don't claim to know all the in's and out's of all the technology being used by both parties but when 2 very intelligent minds can get together and both be excited about the meeting and pull away problem solving ideas in just 1 night........imagine what 2 great teams could do working with each other on a daily basis, or better yet re imagine it ;D.

(cliff notes, this is some unicorn,Philosopher's stone, pot of gold at the end of the rainbow shit)

Offline vbuterin

• View Profile
Thanks for the very interesting conversations and day together bitshares team. It was definitely very useful in our thinking on native extensibility strategies; I was glad to see how similar some of our thoughts and some of our problems have been, and I hope my ideas on ring signatures for secret ballots and bitusd interest rates helped :)

(I'm still not convinced of bitusd's long-term viability without introducing schellingcoin or delegate price feeds + dynamic interest rates, but it's a very exciting experiment and I'll be glad to be wrong if it succeeds!)

I have no particular love for PoW; the ASIC-resistant PoW algo that Vlad is working on with a few others right now is looking great, but I have a few worries in the back of my mind about its long-term viability. I think that most chains which try to have both PoW and finite supply may be living on borrowed time, as we have seen with dogecoin once it very quickly got close to its maximum it had too little hashpower to maintain itself. Gav agrees that moving beyond PoW is optimal; we're currently looking at hybrid transactions-as-PoS, and I like many aspects of DPOS and I really respect the long amount of effort and thought that led to it, although I can also see how it comes from a somewhat different philosophy than the one we're used to.

interesting. i also read that vitalik also had talks with arthur britto of ripple labs.

News flash: the core teams of most of the so-called "competing" 2.0 projects are actually on pretty good terms with each other. We all want to be complementary. I think Ripple is doing great work on setting up bridges between crypto and fiat and Codius is interesting technology and could be quite nicely integrated into ethereum. There are a couple bad actors that are quite hostile to anything that does not entrench BTC as the one cryptotoken to rule them allâ„¢, but we've had open communication with most of the major groups; Bitshares is the one we haven't yet and I am glad that we have started to break the ice there.

That's great, now you need to talk to the person actually in charge of Ethereum- Dr. Wood.

Gav isn't "actually in charge" more so than myself, but any major protocol change does indeed require consensus among myself, Gav and Jeff and of course the community. I only speak for myself.

Effectively my goal is to make both projects better and to secure AGS/PTS holders a stake in Ether

Just to make this absolutely clear, as Dan said later on in the thread, we have not formally discussed allocations. Speaking generally, no formal commitments at this point have been made by anyone about anything; the things that Dan listed as topics we discussed are just topics we discussed. I as an individual could see something being reasonable if it substitutes a portion of the mining allocation so our annual issuance never exceeds 0.26x the genesis quantity, and is a finite one-time allocation and not a permanent annual dividend, but I strongly respect the feelings of the community, other developers on the project and potential legal issues.

If we are going for a paradigm where developers can extend ethereum in exchange for ether allocation, it would be ideal to follow our philosophy of generalization and not just special-case one team but explicitly say "this is the social contract: anyone can release a version of ethereum N.0 for N>1 by making their own additions and giving 0.26x minus mining fees since N-1.0 to their own communities as they deem fit, and if the community deems any implementation technically bad or unfair they can reject it and keep building on the previous instead kinda like a blockchain".
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 02:04:36 pm by vbuterin »

Offline fuzzy

IF these two projects can collaborate I think it would be for the best. Both projects stand to gain tremendously by working together than competing against each other. I would love to invest into both projects if they can find a good common bridge they can build from!

all that has ever bothered me about ethereum was the one chain to rule them all approach, coupled with pow. If they are planning to work with bitshares, perhaps that approach has a chance at abandonment.  At that point id gladly speculate in the project (though it becomes much less of a speculation in thos case).
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
All I know is that when stuff like this starts happening on a Hot August Night in the deserted streets of Raleigh, NC you get cold fusion, flux capacitors, and warp drives...

dpos is a great upgrade security wise for the blockchain technology...
But what about your personal security on this real world guys?
Hope your photographer is behind you not only to take pictures, but because they are "watching your backs"  ;)

Offline menga

• View Profile
What using go and aerospike ( http://www.aerospike.com/  and  http://www.aerospike.com/blog/go-aerospike-a-perfect-match/ ).

Go language ( http://golang.org/ ) has a lot of qualities

* Astonishing performance
* Strong typing
* Asynchronous, multithreaded, multicore programming
* Clear, concise syntax

Ethereum is mainly written in Go.

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
For me this is a dream come true  :)  +5%