Author Topic: Changes to the forum - looking for proposals  (Read 12536 times)

Offline gamey

• View Profile
we need a btsx login .. not Facebook login

The fact that it has the Facebook login im sure it will be much easier to implement BTSX login in to new one :D

also its possible if people vote to remove other logins like facebook or other social media we can remove it with no problem :)

Social Login allows your users to connect with one click to your Simple Machines Forum (SMF) by using their social network account. Over twenty different social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google, Yahoo, GitHub, Windows Live and others supported.

https://docs.oneall.com/plugins/guide/social-login-smf/

The weird thing is this might make my plugin far easier to write if I opt to continue with it.  Thanks for the bs giving me direction !
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline vlmhz

• </ WebDev >
    • View Profile
    • Bitsapphire

I don't mean to continuously nitpick but I think this looks sloppy. 
and not very descriptive.  What is the price representing? 

BitShares represents a great number of things, each with different prices.
Do you mean PTS, AGS, BTSX, DNS, VOTE, MUSIC?

I can deduce that it represents PTS. I think it could be made more clear.

spacing/centering aesthetics etc??
I wonder if the firm taking over the software just has a lot more experience in Discourse?
+5% That would be my guess.

Thank you for feed back.

Actually i don't know how you saw it because its hidden, maybe your browsers cache didn't get the new style.

I just fixed it and will wait till we finish some more tests on it to publish :D

PS: force refresh it with: ctrl + shift + R

Offline vlmhz

• </ WebDev >
    • View Profile
    • Bitsapphire

The fact that it has the Facebook login im sure it will be much easier to implement BTSX login in to new one :D

also its possible if people vote to remove other logins like facebook or other social media we can remove it with no problem :)

Xeldal

I don't mean to continuously nitpick but I think this looks sloppy. 
and not very descriptive.  What is the price representing? 

BitShares represents a great number of things, each with different prices.
Do you mean PTS, AGS, BTSX, DNS, VOTE, MUSIC?

I can deduce that it represents PTS. I think it could be made more clear.

spacing/centering aesthetics etc??
I wonder if the firm taking over the software just has a lot more experience in Discourse?
+5% That would be my guess.

Offline vlmhz

• </ WebDev >
    • View Profile
    • Bitsapphire
The interesting thing is if you start trolling the internet and find the forums with the smart guys, they usually tend to not be on social media reddit replacement mimicking sites.   Granted they're all established but I'm not convinced of the magic conversion rate.  Kids who won't use the forum because it is "2007" aren't likely going to be types with money either.  shrug

Those point systems mimick the wisdom of the crowd (and no, not concisely and quantitatively).  If the wisdom of the crowd is sub par then it just hurts the quality of the posters.

The management system of this forum and the structure of code is relay hard to maintain and takes to much time to maintain in which results in slower updates and respond on forum

We tested the http://try.discourse.org/?ascending=true to manage posts updates also the code to
its easier to maintain than this one.

I'm here to find a solution to make the community grow faster and help Bitshares  +5%

for anything that discourse annoyed you or want to change something on it its easier to remove than to try to add it here or to modify this one :(

in the and of the day its all about the community that we want to grow :D

Offline vlmhz

• </ WebDev >
    • View Profile
    • Bitsapphire
A new forum like "discourse" its relay step forward for Bitshares community.

Actual forum is build on 2007, maybe some of us adapted here but for new comers is like stone age thingy
especially if we compare with daily use networks like Facebook or Twitter which those are relay RELAY very advanced.

I would vote to change the forum, the earlier we change the faster we grow.

Ahh yes a forum with 6 years of developed plugins has to be worse than a 1 year old  forum software.

There really isn't much difference.  Discourse seems to have badges and point systems.  Not a big fan of that.

We are not facebook or twitter.  The biggest thing discourse has going for it is that the point system can lead to a "best of" page and you have all that support for social media login.  Yay faces ?

Actually the fact that is newer than this one it is build in more advanced technology and has better performance also is new way of forum.

About logins we where talking about how to attract new people here so we can grow faster, isn't it the easier to gain more people so we can benefit all from it ?

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
The interesting thing is if you start trolling the internet and find the forums with the smart guys, they usually tend to not be on social media reddit replacement mimicking sites.   Granted they're all established but I'm not convinced of the magic conversion rate.  Kids who won't use the forum because it is "2007" aren't likely going to be types with money either.  shrug

Those point systems mimick the wisdom of the crowd (and no, not concisely and quantitatively).  If the wisdom of the crowd is sub par then it just hurts the quality of the posters.

Support that.
is it possible for the developers to build a synchronization mechanism ? Just the posts, not the achievements and badges.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:36:11 pm by gamey »

bitbro

The biggest thing is interface and layout.  Discourse is vastly superior as it retains newcomers at a higher rate due  to its aesthetics in layout and interface

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Actual forum is build on 2007, maybe some of us adapted here but for new comers is like stone age thingy
especially if we compare with daily use networks like Facebook or Twitter which those are relay RELAY very advanced.

Ahh yes a forum with 6 years of developed plugins has to be worse than a 1 year old  forum software.

There really isn't much difference.  Discourse seems to have badges and point systems.  Not a big fan of that.

We are not facebook or twitter.  The biggest thing discourse has going for it is that the point system can lead to a "best of" page and you have all that support for social media login.  Yay faces ?

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
ethereum uses a "discourse" forum type, try it out!  :)
https://forum.ethereum.org/

PS Maybe I am to old and I like our approach better
 PS2     the traffic numbers are high NOT because the forum, it's because the forum is a subaccount of ethereum.org I guess...

Offline vlmhz

• </ WebDev >
    • View Profile
    • Bitsapphire

bitbro

Literally dreamed about a new forum last night.  We need to switch.  I can see how this forum doesn't draw others in.  If we're going to be worldclass, we need to upgrade and not see be like bitcoin talk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█