Author Topic: Changes to the forum - looking for proposals  (Read 12421 times)

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
maybe it is only me, but i really didn't know one forum with - discourse.

i followed the sample link and my first thought was "oh my god, it looks really complicated". i didn't know anything, but as a user it looks confusing. i don't understand the structure etc. maybe it is just the problem with new stuff. You has to learn, but it feels not right to me.

Xeldal

indeed .. and pls polish your bitsapphire delegate buttons/links  ^^ :) right next BTS logo - thx

So far you haven't provided quality service and visible improvements to the forum yet you publish support links with questionable quality on the top of the page.
I wonder how you'll get enough approval for adding adds like that?

And sorry if my choice of words is too harsh. Consider it as constructive criticism meaning "Try to create stylish add and place it somewhere more discrete. And let it not be the first thing you do.".
+5% +5%

It looks trashy, and terribly unprofessional.  If this is any indication of the quality we can expect from the new forum management, I don't have very high hopes for any 'improvements' .

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:48:13 pm by Xeldal »

Offline ripplexiaoshan

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: jademont
indeed .. and pls polish your bitsapphire delegate buttons/links  ^^ :) right next BTS logo - thx

So far you haven't provided quality service and visible improvements to the forum yet you publish support links with questionable quality on the top of the page.

And sorry if my choice of words is too harsh. Consider it as constructive criticism meaning "Try to create stylish add and place it somewhere more discrete. And let it not be the first thing you do.".

Strongly agree with this +5%

update: it seems bitsapphire accepted your suggestion, good for him
BTS committee member:jademont

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG

Offline mint chocolate chip

I was about to say the same thing, looks like amateur hour at the top of the forum right now

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
IMO we should just polish and clean up smf theme a bit

yes please.  making the forum look bitshares-esque will be great. 

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
  • Add a PTS and BTSX price ticker to the header of the forum
  • Make all outgoing links on the forum nofollow. This way we won't be as attractive to spammers and Google most likely ranks us better.
  • Change the current URL structure to something human readable (the current links would redirect to the new links, nothing gets lost). This is for both legibility and better search ranking.
I like it ..

any chance for a tipping bot? ;-)

yes!  a tip bot would be the coolest!

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Bitssaphire  puts forth a convincing argument.  If they decide to change it won't matter that much.  I still question though the value of users who don't want to do a basic signup.  In crypto world not everyone wants their id tied into some social media account somewhere.  (If thats what Discourse tries to do...)

If there is a bridge to run them in parallel then just keep up old bitsharestalk indefinitely. :)
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
whatever changes will help for bitshares mass adoption I am in !  You know better guys  ;)     +5%

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
whatever works best for the community  +5%
for me it doesn't matter which software is used for forum purposes ^^

But pls don't hesitate to contact me anytime if i could assist on anything forum design related :)
It would be a great pleasure to assist …
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:49:48 am by cass »
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
It seems that there are two personas interested in Bitshares:
  • 90s techies with old school forum and IRC experience
  • 2000s techies and semi-techies with social media and real-time web experience
The latter don't sign up or don't come back to the forum due to the UI/UX rather than the content.
Reading this makes me
a) feel old although I am not even 30
b) feel proud because I know the power of IRC and see no power in fancy UIs :)

* xeroc is a young oldschool terminal guy :)

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
If you switch to Discourse is it possible to still use old style BB for up to 90 days( for example) while members get used to to new forum software.

So esentially have a choice to use either forum for up to 90 days, then switch everyone to Discourse when 90 days expire

That's the plan actually.

There might be resistance to this.
Perhaps it would help to make a list of thing that can be done with "Discourse" that cannot be done with current setup.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
The forum replaces any url scheme that isn't  http:// or ftp:// with http. Would be nice to use btsx: scheme. I think gamey started work on this, but might not be easy with this software.

Yes I started.  It might or might not be that hard, the problem is packaging it into a proper package to install on other sites.  Hacking something up on a single site is a lot easier.  I have a site I'd like to test it on, but if this site is going to change soon I've been on the fence about starting it back up since I really haven't made any progress and don't know the SMF learning curve I will encounter.  So when done, it would basically be aimed at me and the off chance we get theymos to accept... and maybe some other SMF sites.  My site is just sorta meh, but if someone knows theymos and he is agreeable to the thought then it could add a lot of value to the project.

Actually if theymos agreed it'd be huge, but the plugin would have to be well written etc, and who knows if I can even hook into it system at a deep enough level without basically forking SMF. :(

edit - Although there is a SMF forum with some really helpful dude with 50k posts.  Once I understand the btsx: protocol completely from the php prototype then I would start looking into SMF and those guys could be helpful in ascertaining the difficulty.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:32:59 am by gamey »
I speak for myself and only myself.