Author Topic: Sending to Wrong Name  (Read 7057 times)

Offline NewMine

• View Profile

Offline joele

• View Profile
That's why it's better to unchecked the autocomplete receiver, because pasting sometimes the autocomplete selecting a different account name.

Offline AtomicBounce

• View Profile
Would it be possible to allow creating verified accounts? For example, by having to prove ownership of a domain an account claims to be associated with?

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
 +5%

Someday I'm sure this post will be legend. Like the 10,000 BTC pizza.

Offline bytemaster

Another one sent 100 000 BTSX!

Who are all these people sending 100 000 BTSX as easy as all that.. If my account alone has collected 200k BTSX by now, imagine how many wrong sends there have been in total. The majority probably to bad actors.

I suggest at least that the exchanges have their robot on full display.

With DEPOSIT LINKS!!!
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Wow. Even if that were the correct address, who is naive enough to think that Bter credits it to their account there?

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Another one sent 100 000 BTSX!

Who are all these people sending 100 000 BTSX as easy as all that.. If my account alone has collected 200k BTSX by now, imagine how many wrong sends there have been in total. The majority probably to bad actors.

I suggest at least that the exchanges have their robot on full display.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:22:13 pm by CLains »

Offline ripplexiaoshan

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: jademont
Thumb up for you +5%
BTS committee member:jademont

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
hahaha, thanks for indulging me guys  :D

Offline testz

Naturally, being the awesome guy that I am I sent it all back :D
*confirmed* ... awesome guy :)

what should i say - awesome guy -  +5% 8)
Thats why i'm proud to be part of this amazing community
Confirmed - CLains awesome guy  :)
 +5% Thats why i'm proud to be part of this amazing community

Offline bitcoinerS

• View Profile

+5% Glad we have guys like Clains in the world.

Bitcoin had a guy who paid $5 million for some pizza. Clains might be the guy who gave $5 million back that was sent to the wrong address :)

+5% This could be in history books one day :)
>>> approve bitcoiners

Offline Bitshark

• View Profile
I can see sending to the wrong name being a big problem in the future. How can bitshares protect against this? My registered name for one only has 4 letters. Maybe the addition of a secret answer for the transaction or associated password?

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I personally believe many online businesses and in future even my local restaurant/hardware store/plumber/individual users, when it comes time to pay by BTSX or BitUSD would prefer an account name that matches their business/taste and they would be willing to pay a small premium for it.

In my opinion that should be done using BitShares DNS. We can have our own version of BIP 0070 where we use the BDNS authentication capabilities rather than X.509 certificates, and instead of the merchant passing a unique payment address to the customer, they give the customer's client their BTSX account name and a short code to automatically include in the memo of the transaction(s).

Sounds good and I guess in the real world you wouldn't interact with the actual BTSX account name via point of sale devices either.
A good account name/email address is still desirable imo, but not a necessity unlike a web address.

However I don't see the downside to charging $0.1-0.25 for a BTSX account name myself.

Thank you so much for sending them back  :)

+5% Glad we have guys like Clains in the world.

Bitcoin had a guy who paid $5 million for some pizza. Clains might be the guy who gave $5 million back that was sent to the wrong address :)

Offline kslavik

• View Profile
Thank you so much for sending them back  :)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I personally believe many online businesses and in future even my local restaurant/hardware store/plumber/individual users, when it comes time to pay by BTSX or BitUSD would prefer an account name that matches their business/taste and they would be willing to pay a small premium for it.

In my opinion that should be done using BitShares DNS. We can have our own version of BIP 0070 where we use the BDNS authentication capabilities rather than X.509 certificates, and instead of the merchant passing a unique payment address to the customer, they give the customer's client their BTSX account name and a short code to automatically include in the memo of the transaction(s).

+5%
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.